Stirling Albion V Stranraer

Thought Stirling were generally ok today considering how long it's been since we've actually played.  Stranraer keeper made a few good stops to keep the score down and we had the bar to thank (twice iirc) for a clean sheet. 

With McGregor suspended we had Banner playing at CB and I thought we missed his defensive mid qualities a bit.  We had two or three nice passages of play especially in the second half which really deserved a better finish.  First half was woeful.

Fotheringham had a quiet - for him - afternoon. He was stuck out wide left with denholm on the opposite wing and it didn't work all that well offensively but both of them worked hard as did the whole team.

Spence looked useful when he came on as a sub for Carrick late on. 

So overall an ok performance after the long enforced break and delighted with 3 points. The last ten minutes were a bit nervy as Stranraer pushed for an equaliser but we held out which says a good deal for the togetherness of the team. Expect east Fife might be tougher opposition next week too. 

In the end I thought we dodged a banana skin with that one. A cracking goal from Davidson to get ahead. after which both defences suffered some very shaky moments and blew some  good chances up front. Albion probably being the more profligate on missed chances.  On the whole just glad to get the 3 points after the long lay off.

I thought after the first 30 minutes or so, we were the better team and as the Second Half wore on, I thought we were more than comfortable for the 3 points. Blair Currie just didn’t seem at the races today (we all have poor games) and with Cammy Clark booked early on and liable for another, I was worried at times, however it was great to see that there was nothing to worry about in the the end.

WC Boggs described it perfectly as a banana skin and it was, it was even more so when the first 20-30 minutes was played at a frantic speed. There was little in the way of quality by either team, frantic and in your face, but I enjoyed it.

The Referee was incredibly inconsistent, missed a stonewall penalty for us and a number of niggly fouls by both teams, but thank fully he never influenced the game in the end.

Thought TVOR is right and Banner looked uncomfortable at Centre Half in the First Half, then didn’t seem under pressure in the Second. I like Banner, the most improved player under Darren Young in my eyes, but he’s not a Centre Half for me, and I’m surprised he was selected in that position in front of Adam Cummins. 

Absolutely fabulous strike from Ross Davidson and it’s was great to see him do so well. After an injured start to the season, he really is coming on well and alongside Banner (normally but not today), the 2 of them really are the unsung heros of the squad. Interesting that Harrison Clark wasn’t in the squad today, is it a case of “services no longer required” due to the form of those 2??

Stranraer were improved on earlier in the season and were handy, but simply didn’t have the quality to control the game or take advantage of our failings on the day. Wee Greetin Face Moaning Bollocks in the Stranraer dugout was starting to make the game up as it was going on though, only person in the stadium that saw a handball, the players must love playing for him.

Yip, great to get through the match and bag 3 points, Stranraer will take points from the teams around us, that’s for sure, and they say you’ve got to win your Home games!

First game ever visiting Forthbank. Few things. 

1.) Nice little stadium. Which I always knew since I've driven past quite a lot. 

2.) Was surprised with the attendance level. Didn't expect the West Stand to be pretty much full. Or at least it seemed that way. Plus atmosphere was pretty decent. 

3.) Stranraer was the better team first half. I was really surprised how poor Stirling were. Looked like the manager told them a few things because after HT, they were a different team. 

4.) Cracking goal by Ross Davidson. Some decent moves upfront too. Petty some of them didn't come off.

All in all, decent game. Probably 1-0 was correct scoreline. I don't think Stirling was as comfortable as others think. 

Anyone know the official attendance figures of the game? 

15 minutes ago, Robalot said:

3.) Stranraer was the better team first half. I was really surprised how poor Stirling were. Looked like the manager told them a few things because after HT, they were a different team. 

Anyone know the official attendance figures of the game? 

Fair comments Robalot, however this one here, I do think the nearly 4 week break has derailed the players some what, but second half we managed to get our foot on the ball and get on top of the game.

Sure 780 odd was mentioned at Half Time. Another impressive amount.

No complaints about yesterday’s result - Albion simply had more experience and were more streetwise than us. Mind you, they wasted a fair number of very good chances - final score might just as easily have been 3-0 or even 1-1.

Interestingly, we’ve had Mr Luke for two games in a row - wouldn’t have thought that was a good idea by the authorities, his decision-making is all over the place, 

2 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

No complaints about yesterday’s result - Albion simply had more experience and were more streetwise than us. Mind you, they wasted a fair number of very good chances - final score might just as easily have been 3-0 or even 1-1.

Interestingly, we’ve had Mr Luke for two games in a row - wouldn’t have thought that was a good idea by the authorities, his decision-making is all over the place, 

Were you missing players out wide?  I seem to remember Stranraer being very dangerous down the flanks, but didn't see that yesterday.

It was great to see a half decent crowd. The atmosphere is much better with a full stand.

There was some decent football in patches. Some of the one touch interplay between Carrick, Thomson and Fotheringham was excellent. Didn't always come off but really hekped open things up when it did. 

Nicely worked goal with a great finish.

Agree that it wasn't entirely comfortable and these are the sort of games you have to find a way to win.

Hopefully they cam keep this decent run going.

On 29/01/2023 at 10:45, WC Boggs said:

Were you missing players out wide?  I seem to remember Stranraer being very dangerous down the flanks, but didn't see that yesterday.

Two of our more direct wide players (Paul Woods and Matty Grant) are out long term, although James Hilton was playing wide on Saturday and came closest to equalising in the closing stages.