Stenhousemuir/Elgin

Pretty dire first half, but at least the goalkeeper error was to our benefit for once. Pretty routine save he let bobble past his dive. 

Much better 2nd half and shouldn’t really have had to wait so long for the 2nd goal. Anyone know why Elgin were so upset with the 2nd goal?

Elgin are a pretty compact team and have the obvious threat up front with Hester, so I think that is a good win and hopefully we will go in to next week’s game with some confidence. Hopefully we can get a centre forward in before then.

I thought we were composed and comfortable throughout but lacked that clinical final pass in the final third. That's the quietest I've seen Hester, normally he just needs to sneeze against Stenhousemuir and the ball goes in the net. Jamieson had the measure of him today.

Game was a bit scrappy but still some skill on show. Wedderburn and Miller were tremendous at turning the ball over and starting an attack. Matty Yates was superb, his work rate is brilliant.

Good 3 points and a clean sheet. Bigger test next.

Fair play to everyone associated with Stenhousemuir FC today. A handy performance, a welcome three points and a clean sheet - there's not too much you can complain about! After an even first half, one that we were perhaps fortunate to have taken the lead in, we were the best side in the second and ultimately deserved the win. We generally played well, created a number of good chances and limited Elgin City to potshots from range; Curtis Lyle didn't have a serious save to make all afternoon.

A number of Stenhousemuir players turned in good performances. Adam Corbett was my man of the match at right-back, Mikey Miller has excelled in central midfield since Gary Naysmith took charge, and Nicky Jamieson largely kept Kane Hester quiet, but it was our substitutions that turned in the contest in our favour. Sean Crighton, introduced at half time, was excellent at centre-back and gives us that security that Dan Higgins simply lacks, while Tam Orr and Ross Forbes combined to set up Mikey Anderson for the second goal. It was a tremendously worked move and it might be the best we've scored so far this season. I'm really pleased for Anderson - he seems like a nice guy and I hope he can make an impact over this second half of the season.

Elgin are a decent side - they're well organised and compact and really stifled us in the first half, and they probably should have taken the lead when Hester took advantage of some uncertain defending but inexplicably hammered the ball over the bar. Ross Draper did well at the back and kept Will Sewell in check and Russell Dingwall showed some nice touches in midfield but they were ultimately overwhelmed in the second half.

I like what we're doing under Gary Naysmith. The players look motivated and are playing with a fire in their bellies (Miller especially) and it's vital we maintain our good form in the coming weeks. There are two play-off places up for grabs and I reckon it'll be a four-way dance between ourselves, Annan Athletic, Forfar Athletic and Elgin. The league will begin to fracture as we move into February and we must make sure we're still in contention. We still need a striker and maybe a central midfielder to give us the bodies we need going forward.