Sleep - or the lack of it

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The best way to know if you need testing for apnea is a partner who can comment on your sleeping breathing habits. A loud snore is a warning, a snore that slowly fades away and then rockets back is almost certainly your airway becoming obstructed and then you forcing it back open. I was told I was stopping breathing, but I kinda discounted that until I had a sleep study done. Watching yourself struggle to breath multiple times in a few minutes on video will clarify your thinking greatly.

My wife always used to complain about how bad my snoring was. I got diagnosed with sleep apnoea and started using a CPAP machine. My wife said that as soon as I used it my snoring stopped to such an extent she had to check I was actually still alive as I was so quiet.

10 hours ago, mathematics said:

My sleep apnea was diagnosed when I started sharing a bed with Mrs Mathematics. Went under the knife to get my tonsils out which made a little difference but not much. Had a scan of my head and it shows a severely deviated septum which doesn’t allow of much air flow.

I hate to ask, but what sort of bedroom antics can lead to a deviated septum?

22 hours ago, mathematics said:

My sleep apnea was diagnosed when I started sharing a bed with Mrs Mathematics. Went under the knife to get my tonsils out which made a little difference but not much. Had a scan of my head and it shows a severely deviated septum which doesn’t allow of much air flow.

Classic problem that increases sleep apnea chances, as it tends to make you a mouth breather. I had a 90% obstructed left nostril that I finally got corrected to allow nearly 80% free flow, and it helped greatly…of course I was (and am) still a fat b*****d and need a C-PAP anyway. The surgery wasn’t bad, and the plastic stent they installed to allow airflow was fine, but taking it out was a nightmare as the damn thing turned out to be about 4 times as long as I imagined and, I was waiting to see some brains hanging from the end when it finally came free.

22 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

My wife always used to complain about how bad my snoring was. I got diagnosed with sleep apnoea and started using a CPAP machine. My wife said that as soon as I used it my snoring stopped to such an extent she had to check I was actually still alive as I was so quiet.

Her disappointment would have been palpable.

On 22/02/2023 at 22:18, Soapy FFC said:

I don't know if this is a thing or not, but I've always thought that if you have a full bowel, then there is a higher chance of waking up for a pee, or if you wake up for some other reason then less of a chance of getting back to sleep due to the bowel pressing on the bladder. So, maybe trying to get your poo cycle such that you poo at night rather than first thing in the morning might help.

Like read a scary story or something?

On 23/02/2023 at 06:18, Soapy FFC said:

I don't know if this is a thing or not, but I've always thought that if you have a full bowel, then there is a higher chance of waking up for a pee, or if you wake up for some other reason then less of a chance of getting back to sleep due to the bowel pressing on the bladder. So, maybe trying to get your poo cycle such that you poo at night rather than first thing in the morning might help.

Maybe just me, but I can't shite on demand - I either need to or not.  I used to get up 2/3 times a night to pee but never felt the need to poo any of those times.  I was always able to get right back to sleep after peeing - until the next one! 

Edited by hk blues