Bowls - any players/members?

++Ammo - Airdrie++

I've been fortunate enough to play against 3 of the 4 semi finalists, some more than others and honestly, even outdoor Anderson's attitudes absolutely spot on, always got that air of "I'll play that shot no bother", I'd love him to win it again, and I just think I over these next 10-15 years, wait and see how much more national and world indoor titles Anderson's going to win. I THINK he's going to play in Australia this year for 6 months aswell.

• 4 months later...

First Silverware lifted of the new season: Lanarkshire League Cup Champions 2024

Delighted as its a competition we as a club have never won.  Lanarkshires 14 league winners from the previous year enter this tournament to be played at the start of the next season.  More delighted my old man got to go and lift the trophy.  President for the last 11 years, honourary president the last 2 (and forevermore), 2 x scottish champion, british finalist, collected over £70k worth of grants for the club between 2013 and 2019 until he unfortunately suffered a brain tumour thats ultimately f*cked him now. 

The big mans still up collecting trophies!

Mon the Central.

image.thumb.jpeg.79d964eca7b7c944126dcae029e6cdaf.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Another trophy in the bag for this season. The Monklands bowling association run the "Monklands cup", every club picks 3 teams of 4, each 4 goes to a neutral green where they'll play someone else. Basically you need to win all 3 games and have the most shots difference, played on the same night, quite a good competition tbh, started and finished on the same night . no pic as the trophy gets presented on MBA Finals day in August, where I'll hopefully be defending my MBA singles title this year!

The Airdrie & Coatbridge league div 1 is also going well, after 4 weeks we sit top of the pile after 2 really good weeks against the team in 2nd place (at the time of the game). 1 daft rink loss against Victoria so far but a tricky tricky green next game vs. Clarkston.

Another Lanarkshire final in the Under 45's, we play Stonehouse on Sunday.  No even halfway through June and the chance for a hat trick of trophies, still got pairs and triples in the qualifiers for Northfield and the Lanarkshire Friday night league starting soon. I love this game.

Screenshot_2024-06-10-06-21-29-76_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-10-06-22-23-24_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-10-06-22-35-61_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-10-07-36-05-18_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1 week to go in the ACBL DIv 1 and its wrapped up, 10 ahead with 7 to play for tomorrow night. Stick that one alongside the Monklands cup, Lanarkshire Under 45's and the Lanarkshire League cup!

Also had not too bad a start in the Lanarkshire Friday night league, 14 divisions, we're in division 4 at the moment, played whitemoss at home  (won 4-2) and played Hamilton Caley away (won 4-2). Some game this week coming up against Larkhall at home on Friday night.

image.thumb.png.a4bac206543114290e9f7191bf85597a.png

But onto the big international stuff, was down at Leamington Spa that weekend there for the International Test Series, my mate from the club was playing.  Some right good standard and the greens looked quick but tricky.  The antics of some of the Scottish team at night, cost them any result on the green, good players with a screw loose, expecting to stay out all night, absolutely blew out the dome and then trying to play bowls against some of the best in the country....... embarassing and a total lack of respect for the guys who've earned their place in the team and giving the actual competition the respect it deserves!

Plus sides were, the young guy Aaron Betts and the fella Andy Thomson from Aberdeen were excellent in most of their games, Gary Prunty was excellent on the Friday/Saturday games and Ian McLean on the sunday in the singles against Jamie Walker was outstanding.  Brilliant weekend tbf, sun, beer, bowls and nothing else.

Airdrie league week 6.jpg

On 01/07/2024 at 09:15, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

1 week to go in the ACBL DIv 1 and its wrapped up, 10 ahead with 7 to play for tomorrow night. Stick that one alongside the Monklands cup, Lanarkshire Under 45's and the Lanarkshire League cup!

Also had not too bad a start in the Lanarkshire Friday night league, 14 divisions, we're in division 4 at the moment, played whitemoss at home  (won 4-2) and played Hamilton Caley away (won 4-2). Some game this week coming up against Larkhall at home on Friday night.

image.thumb.png.a4bac206543114290e9f7191bf85597a.png

But onto the big international stuff, was down at Leamington Spa that weekend there for the International Test Series, my mate from the club was playing.  Some right good standard and the greens looked quick but tricky.  The antics of some of the Scottish team at night, cost them any result on the green, good players with a screw loose, expecting to stay out all night, absolutely blew out the dome and then trying to play bowls against some of the best in the country....... embarassing and a total lack of respect for the guys who've earned their place in the team and giving the actual competition the respect it deserves!

Plus sides were, the young guy Aaron Betts and the fella Andy Thomson from Aberdeen were excellent in most of their games, Gary Prunty was excellent on the Friday/Saturday games and Ian McLean on the sunday in the singles against Jamie Walker was outstanding.  Brilliant weekend tbf, sun, beer, bowls and nothing else.

Airdrie league week 6.jpg

Sounds like a good season so far for you and your club. 

As much as bowls is a hobby for 99 per cent of players, for the players who have got themselves to international level you'd think there would be a degree of 'professionalism' about their off green conduct just like footballers.

So far I've played 5 singles matches in 5 different competitions and beaten in all 5 🙄. First full season in years with a new set of bowls so this year is about getting used to playing again, the green and the bowls. My son now playing football for a team as well as 3 night training a week has kind of scuppered the season and my motivation for playing though. 

On 05/07/2024 at 12:41, FK1Bairn said:

Sounds like a good season so far for you and your club. 

As much as bowls is a hobby for 99 per cent of players, for the players who have got themselves to international level you'd think there would be a degree of 'professionalism' about their off green conduct just like footballers.

So far I've played 5 singles matches in 5 different competitions and beaten in all 5 🙄. First full season in years with a new set of bowls so this year is about getting used to playing again, the green and the bowls. My son now playing football for a team as well as 3 night training a week has kind of scuppered the season and my motivation for playing though. 

I've not had a great season personally, we've done well as a club but my forms been horrendous tbh, f*cked up and missed 2 dates on the ties aswell so out the 2 main singles in the club, going to Poland meant i had to pull out the nationals, lanarkshire and the U45's, so essentially I've only got a couple of things to play in, if its not competitive I very rarely have a throw with anyone on the green, I'll stick my headphones in for half an hour and get a few ends in myself but I've hardly done that his year!!

I remember you saying last season about taking it up again!  Thats the county games finished aswell for us, we were beaten in our game against Stirling West at Bridge of Allan on Saturday so we're out of that aswell (Lanarkshire south are through, playing at Cambusbarron on Saturday against West Lothian).  So aye, I'll still go down to Northfield for the nationals, we've got an Under 25, a pair and a triples there so fingers crossed another scottish title might be heading to Airdrie Central!!!

A good night last night as we creep over the halfway line in the Lanarkshire League, solid 6-0 win at Home to Newarthill, some fireworks on our rink, the opposing skip really really didn't like getting beat, blaming the rink, his team, our second for being too loud, the pace of the green, the midgies and then finally, because he never had his dinner. We played really well but they'll be doing well to stay in the division tbh.

3 games left, Blackwood away, a barnstormer away to Halfway and then finish at home to Victoria. Fingers crossed!

Screenshot_20240713-103731~2.png

On 05/07/2024 at 12:41, FK1Bairn said:

So far I've played 5 singles matches in 5 different competitions and beaten in all 5 🙄. First full season in years with a new set of bowls so this year is about getting used to playing again, the green and the bowls. 

Now played 6, won 1 😀 and lost 5. Playing in an open pairs competition on Saturday and the club mixed pairs on 3rd August, looking forward to both even although the weather doesn't look good for this Saturday

At least 1 more tie to play as well as the club triples and rinks in September. My son's football will start taking over again soon so trying to play as much as possible right now

Posted (edited)
On 18/07/2024 at 09:11, FK1Bairn said:

Now played 6, won 1 😀 and lost 5. Playing in an open pairs competition on Saturday and the club mixed pairs on 3rd August, looking forward to both even although the weather doesn't look good for this Saturday

At least 1 more tie to play as well as the club triples and rinks in September. My son's football will start taking over again soon so trying to play as much as possible right now

We don't have enough members for a triples or rinks comp 😂😂.

Played put Lanarkshire League game away at Blackwood Victoria on Friday there. We drew current Scotland captain Ian McLean, and when I say the man beat us himself, I absolutely am not joking, an absolute lesson in skipping a team by playing absolutely world class bowls. Genuinely if it wasn't for him we would have won by 20, as it happens it was 14-14 playing the last end, we were lying 3 within 8 inches (my first bowl turned them out and I stayed to lie the 2, then drew another cracker). Big Ian's casually came down with 2 feet of weight, turned one of our bowls through a bowl size hole between the jack and ran through for a front toucher, so rather than a full 6-0 it was a 4-2 on Friday, still a decent away score TBF. Keeps us in the hunt for another promotion.

Screenshot_20240721-105639~2.png

Huge game next week away at Halfway in what looks like a straight shoot out game for the title. Win at least 4-2 and I'll be confident of winning the league.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++
Spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching a bit of the BBC stream from Ayr which made me think to look for a bowls thread.

I've been playing at Doune Castle for the last 4 years and really enjoy it.  Managed to win at least one of our internal Sunday competitions each year and recently qualified for the West Perthshire rink final (my skip is also in the singles and pairs and has a triples semi still to play so finals day will be more like finals week).

Managed to get the Mrs into it now too and my 8yo son fancies having a go.

Played recently at our club's pro-am which was a fantastic weekend.  Watching guys like Iain McLean and Stuart Anderson bowl up close (and playing against them) is a great experience. Stuart Hogg and Stuart Williamson eventually won a cracking final.  I think I actually played against someone from your club @++Ammo - Airdrie++ as I recognise the red top.  Can't remember his name but he was a good guy.

47 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Was watching a bit of the BBC stream from Ayr which made me think to look for a bowls thread.

I've been playing at Doune Castle for the last 4 years and really enjoy it.  Managed to win at least one of our internal Sunday competitions each year and recently qualified for the West Perthshire rink final (my skip is also in the singles and pairs and has a triples semi still to play so finals day will be more like finals week).

Played recently at our club's pro-am which was a fantastic weekend.  Watching guys like Iain McLean and Stuart Anderson bowl up close (and playing against them) is a great experience. Stuart Hogg and Stuart Williamson eventually won a cracking final.  I think I actually played against someone from your club @++Ammo - Airdrie++ as I recognise the red top.  Can't remember his name but he was a good guy.

Good to have ye on board mate!! I was down at Ayr yesterday, our triples are still in, just won and are through to the QF this afternoon! Aye McLeans some player man.  My mate Neil Pringle won that pro am last year I'm sure, Neil Pringle and John Barrie, beat 2 boys that I play against in the county team Davie something (bald guy wi a beard, nice fella).

Getting to the nitty gritty now down at Ayr!!

44 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Good to have ye on board mate!! I was down at Ayr yesterday, our triples are still in, just won and are through to the QF this afternoon! Aye McLeans some player man.  My mate Neil Pringle won that pro am last year I'm sure, Neil Pringle and John Barrie, beat 2 boys that I play against in the county team Davie something (bald guy wi a beard, nice fella).

Getting to the nitty gritty now down at Ayr!!

They did mate.  Another good final.  Beat Davie Stewart and George Young.  Looking at the photo on our FB page from last year I think it was John Barrie that I played against this year. 

4 hours ago, AllanJM said:

They did mate.  Another good final.  Beat Davie Stewart and George Young.  Looking at the photo on our FB page from last year I think it was John Barrie that I played against this year. 

John Barrie plays at Airdrie bowling club, right behind the town hall, we're Airdrie Central. The amount of folk that end up at Airdrie if they've never been to ours before 😂.

I know John well, played against him a good few times and he had one year in our county team last year.

That's our triple in the semi against Alva tomorrow morning at 9am.

On 02/08/2024 at 11:52, AllanJM said:

Get the wee fella involved if he's up for it. My 8 year old plays and really enjoys it. He's just gone up from the wee coaching bowls to using 0000's and it's made a difference. 

I played in my club mixed pairs competition today with my sister. There were two 13 year olds playing together against adults, they won 3 of their 5 games and played really well. The whole club were rooting for them and it will help their development. 

Its also good banter on and off the green, my son loves being in the clubhouse listening to the chat going on. 

9 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

its also good banter on and off the green, my son loves being in the clubhouse listening to the chat going on. 

This patter 100%.

I used to go with my old man and my papa, since I was in the buggy in 1986 and as you say, the patters good in bowling clubs. If anything else it will keep the wean social and build up good characters they'll know for years to come.

Heartbreak yesterday at Northfield for our triples in the final. 5 down with 2 to play, got a 5 second last end then lost a 1 last end, absolutely gutted mate, that's the 3rd triples final in 11 years our club have lost with the last bowl on the last end, horrible stuff!! 

Back to business today though, we play Raploch from Larkhall today in the Lanarkshire top 10.

9 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This patter 100%.

I used to go with my old man and my papa, since I was in the buggy in 1986 and as you say, the patters good in bowling clubs. If anything else it will keep the wean social and build up good characters they'll know for years to come.

Heartbreak yesterday at Northfield for our triples in the final. 5 down with 2 to play, got a 5 second last end then lost a 1 last end, absolutely gutted mate, that's the 3rd triples final in 11 years our club have lost with the last bowl on the last end, horrible stuff!! 

Back to business today though, we play Raploch from Larkhall today in the Lanarkshire top 10.

A decent afternoon's work today, won all 4 games in the top 10, I was leading for the pairs, we had a right good game and won 25-10, every single end my first bowl was a yard passed then 2 within 3 feet, and a chalker. Difficult game next week against previous top 10 winners eddlewood, at home though so any things possible!

10 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This patter 100%.

Yeah he loves it. 

I saw the scoreline from the triples final earlier, absolutely soul destroying when that happens. I just hope they can take the positives from it from coming so close. 

That's me now out of every club competition and season effectively over barring a game for the club on Thursday in the local league after I lost a singles tie this morning My son's swimming lessons and football training/matches starting again is going to put paid to any more bowling this season. 

My kids already spend a decent amount of time at the club so already get the banter.  My daughter has no interest in playing but my son seems up for it.  One of his wee pals wants to try too.

My club won the Stirlingshire West Top 10 today.  Won all 4 ties in a great performance.  Play against The Stirlingshire East winners (Laurieston) at Stenhousemuir in 2 weeks to get to represent Stirling County in the inter-county next year.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

My club won the Stirlingshire West Top 10 today.  Won all 4 ties in a great performance.  Play against The Stirlingshire East winners (Laurieston) at Stenhousemuir in 2 weeks to get to represent Stirling County in the inter-county next year.

Funnily enough, my club won the Stirlingshire East final today for the first time in our history 😂. Was a really close final, I think we edged it by 4 shots from Grangemouth. Hopefully a good final in two weeks 🤞