Bowls - any players/members?

++Ammo - Airdrie++

Since the old thread disappeared, and it was really only myself and @quickoverayard  posting in it.

Any new members? anyone taking up the game? my club Airdrie Central will be looking to compete well again in the local leagues and hopefully build on the success of winning a British title recently.

I'll keep the OP short and sweet in case there's 0 replies!

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have never played myself but my Grandpa used to play in Dumbarton. He really enjoyed it and made many friends through it. He also won a few trophies in his time.

He died 19 years ago, but the bowls is one thing I will always associate with my Grandpa.

It was my granda that got me into it and tbf stuck at it from 8-16, break for a few years then back again in 2012 when I was 27, I only play outdoor, absolutely hate the indoor tbh but a don't mind watching it.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard the Lanarkshire leagues might not happen this year due to some legal disputes.

It all arises from a couple of instances last year of a club who turned up to play games with some lady members playing for them. They were firstly warned that it was not to happen again, and when they did it again they were expelled from the league. The club in question are now suing both the league, and a separate individual action against the president, as nowhere in the constitution and rules does it specify that it is only male players that take part.

I played outdoor and indoor between the ages of 11-17, stopped for a good few years and took it up again outdoor when I was about 32. 

Gave up again when I got a promotion at work meaning I didn't have the time to play and then when my son was born in 2015 there was no way back. 

I still like watching on TV but it's very much a sport for people who have time on their hands.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Heard the Lanarkshire leagues might not happen this year due to some legal disputes.

It all arises from a couple of instances last year of a club who turned up to play games with some lady members playing for them. They were firstly warned that it was not to happen again, and when they did it again they were expelled from the league. The club in question are now suing both the league, and a separate individual action against the president, as nowhere in the constitution and rules does it specify that it is only male players that take part.

The leagues will definitely be on this year AFAIA, it was spoken about at the AGM that the Lanarkshire bowling association would be taking on the Lanarkshire league after the Lanarkshire league dissolved. It was indeed a case and rather than go to court, the league just shut down. The club in question is Glenfowan and that's exactly what happened last year with the women lol. 

Hopefully move on and get it back on because it's one of my favourite competitions in the season.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

The leagues will definitely be on this year AFAIA, it was spoken about at the AGM that the Lanarkshire bowling association would be taking on the Lanarkshire league after the Lanarkshire league dissolved. It was indeed a case and rather than go to court, the league just shut down. The club in question is Glenfowan and that's exactly what happened last year with the women lol. 

Hopefully move on and get it back on because it's one of my favourite competitions in the season.

I heard about it yesterday from my pal who was at the Glasgow North Eastern League AGM, there's a few clubs  who play in both that and the Lanarkshire league which were both played on Friday nights. They always tried to work out dates so the two League seasons don't overlap, but the reps from those clubs reckoned the Lanarkshire league would be taking a year out then come back next year as a new League body. He said Glengowan seemingly have a couple of wealthy members who are willing to pay for the court stuff.

The North Eastern League updated it's constitution to specify it was men only and also to limit any legal responsibilies of the office bearers.

Edited by peasy23

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I heard about it yesterday from my pal who was at the Glasgow North Eastern League AGM, there's a few clubs  who play in both that and the Lanarkshire league which were both played on Friday nights. They always tried to work out dates so the two League seasons don't overlap, but the reps from those clubs reckoned the Lanarkshire league would be taking a year out then come back next year as a new League body. He said Glengowan seemingly have a couple of wealthy members who are willing to pay for the court stuff.

The North Eastern League updated it's constitution to specify it was men only and also to limit any legal responsibilies of the office bearers.

The LBA updated their constitution and rules also at the AGM but that was more around the county championships and stuff.  One of our members is an LBA director and the impression we're getting is it will be a go'er!  Aye the Lanarkshire Leagues didn't want involved in a legal battle so that's why they folded, no-one to sue = no case to answer I'm assuming!  Glengowan have been flirting with closing for a while now membership wise, they cant even put a 4's out in the County championships.  Shame as well, one of the nicest guys (and best bowlers) I've ever known played there Willie Harkness, loads of indoor and outdoor titles, internationalist etc.  

There's a special general meeting on the 11th of April and the Agenda has been emailed out, no seen it yet though.  Noticed the county trials pool for lanarkshire has been selected aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a regular player for a few years now after giving it up as a junior.

I love it, I get as much enjoyment practicing on my own as I do playing in club ties or for my club.

A brilliant way to relax and switch off after a tough day at work. 

On 25/03/2023 at 08:36, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

The missus and I were talking about taking it up and joining an Inverness club. Not sure which one though.

Whereever you go, you both won't regret it, I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Its a brilliant sport for the social side as much as the challenge that playing outdoors in Scotland offers!

On 25/03/2023 at 08:36, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

The missus and I were talking about taking it up and joining an Inverness club. Not sure which one though.

Are there any local clubs that would let you try it out for a bit before taking out a membership? It's an expensive sport to start with when you buy bowls, shoes and waterproofs

15 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Are there any local clubs that would let you try it out for a bit before taking out a membership? It's an expensive sport to start with when you buy bowls, shoes and waterproofs

I can't believe the price of bowls now tbh! I've got a couple of sets of Aero Grooves I've had for a few year but it's like £400+ now last I seen!

32 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I can't believe the price of bowls now tbh! I've got a couple of sets of Aero Grooves I've had for a few year but it's like £400+ now last I seen!

My old set were given to me as a present about 25 years ago (possibly longer). I sold them when I gave up playing and the cost of a new set is what puts me off taking it up again though I do enjoy playing

Club opens this Saturday the 15th, genuinely been looking forward to this since about Xmas. Be good to finally get out and get the competitiveness going again. Hopefully be playing county this year with Lanarkshire so a few different greens to visit in the west hopefully, including Bogleha in Dunoon for a bit of novelty!

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Listen mate I've had the mental days/nights, am happy winding down wi ma bowls in the summer 😂 big Stuart T one of the gaffers wi youz I'm sure, he plays 😂

There's a reason we don't speak. :lol:

On 19/03/2023 at 19:48, peasy23 said:

Got this text on our club group chat on Tuesday night regarding leagues so hope this clears it up ..  

Hi all.

Just a brief update re Lanarkshire BA EGM last night.

LBA will run a Friday night league with the same format as the previous Lanarkshire league. Only change is a slight alteration of the dates (no Wednesday game, and only a one week break for Northfield rather than a break for ‘the fair’)

Dates this year will be 

23rd June

30th June

7th July

14th July

21st July

(One week break for northfield)

4th August

11th August

No info was given regarding dates for top 5 and top 10.

League cup draw should be out soon. 

(For those interested, Glengowan were told that they would re-enter the league in the bottom division, they put in a counter proposal to remain in division 6 which was seconded by Burnbank Hamilton but failed to garner any further support. A counter proposal from Coatdyke and Gartsherrie was passed by a strong majority that will see Glengowan re-enter the league in Division 7).

Clubs will have until mid-May to decide how many teams they will enter in the leagues, and we won’t have fixtures until after this date. Some clubs have intimated that they might have to withdraw teams which might see some extra promotions in some divisions.

Took my son along to a junior open day at a local bowling club this morning. I can't get over how many changes have taken place in the sport between being able to wear 'normal' footwear, kids bowls, rubber bowls and even white bowls 

I think I've got the bug back to play again after this.