Title race

35 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Predicting Thistle to go up via play offs??? Hahahaha

Obviously not impossible, but it's a very strange take when the justification for that is "momentum", given there's another team that they're predicting to also be in the playoffs on a better run of form and with one foot in the Scottish Cup final too.

The journalism either internet or newspaper for anything outside the Premiership is: consistently limited in volume; often laced with lazy inaccurate “facts”, usually pish; and those articles cited above are examples. The BBC even manages to get the scores wrong, last night until about ten minutes before the end they had the Highland league score with Brechin losing, when they were winning. 
Scottish football journos are really sadly hopeless when they poke their heads below the Premiership floor. 

Tonight is pretty much a season-defining night for QP. A loss would pretty much see them kiss any title hopes goodbye, and a draw wouldn't be a huge help either. This would be a good time for Ayr's wonder striker to rouse from his slumber of the past few weeks and get a hat-trick...

9 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Tonight is pretty much a season-defining night for QP. A loss would pretty much see them kiss any title hopes goodbye, and a draw wouldn't be a huge help either. This would be a good time for Ayr's wonder striker to rouse from his slumber of the past few weeks and get a hat-trick...

He scored last weekend m9.

46 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

He was POTM for March. 

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

Our season’s already been defined. An outright success by any measure on the park. We’re into cherry-on-the-cake time now.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Absolutely. I don't care what team it is but if you blow your chances of promotion from a 7 point lead it's a disappointment.

Mate, I'll be gutted If we blow ours from a  1 point lead. 

It's possible to be delighted with how well this season has gone objectively, but also gutted that we've likely thrown away the opportunity to do something even more special.

I'd hazard a guess that this sums up how most of us are feeling about it 

9 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

It's possible to be delighted with how well this season has gone objectively, but also gutted that we've likely thrown away the opportunity to do something even more special.

I get that but the term used was 'outright success'. Would you think that?

If QP weren't to go up automatically or via play-offs this season what would be the expectation for next? 

11 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I get that but the term used was 'outright success'. Would you think that?

If QP weren't to go up automatically or via play-offs this season what would be the expectation for next? 

The context adds a bit of frustration, but it absolutely has been an outright success.  We finished 4th last season 28 points behind Cove, and came into this campaign with primarily the same group of players - the only big signing was Dom Thomas.

My expectation was that we'd finish somewhere between 5th and 8th, and that would've been perfectly fine. Establishing ourselves as a Championship level side was the objective after we somehow scraped our way here through the playoffs.

It's difficult to say what the goal next season might be, but I suppose building on however this one ends would be a good place to start (whatever that actually means for the club). 

Edited by Zanetti

8 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I’m thinking more of next season. Everything we’ve been set up for will be at risk with an early entry into the Premiership. First team minutes has been rare enough for most of our young stars this season and will be near impossible in the top league.

Ross County, Hamilton and Falkirk were three clubs highly regarded for their youth and community programmes 15-20 years ago. Between them they’ve discovered that if you want to be in the top tier you have to be buying. If you can’t keep pace with that, tier  2/3 is where you end up. Beuker’s model is very intriguing and would easily be workable in tiers 3/4, probably tier 2. To be the success that he had at Alkmaar will take much longer. If that’s the path we’re on, another couple of years in the Championship would be workable.

To satisfy everyone though, maybe we could win the league, write to the SPFL declining our promotion and offering it to team 2, and we could get ready for next season, stadium included. Play for the sake of the game?

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m thinking more of next season. Everything we’ve been set up for will be at risk with an early entry into the Premiership. First team minutes has been rare enough for most of our young stars this season and will be near impossible in the top league.

Ross County, Hamilton and Falkirk were three clubs highly regarded for their youth and community programmes 15-20 years ago. Between them they’ve discovered that if you want to be in the top tier you have to be buying. If you can’t keep pace with that, tier  2/3 is where you end up. Beuker’s model is very intriguing and would easily be workable in tiers 3/4, probably tier 2. To be the success that he had at Alkmaar will take much longer. If that’s the path we’re on, another couple of years in the Championship would be workable.

To satisfy everyone though, maybe we could win the league, write to the SPFL declining our promotion and offering it to team 2, and we could get ready for next season, stadium included. Play for the sake of the game?

I think there's definitely some truth in what you're saying, but as a supporter I'd simply be far too buzzing about winning the league, and be far too drunk and excited for the entirety of this summer to really worry about any of that!