Your Team of the Season

It's that exciting time of year again where we all get to argue over our teams of the season.

After much thought I've pulled together the following XI, Matty Yates is a bit out of position - but he's good enough to play there. I've also left out Kai Fotheringham on the basis of only playing for half a season, but he'd obviously have been in a full season's team too.

This is based solely on how players have performed against Dumbarton. So please, I beg, don't take offence at your superstars being missing. I've gone for a basic, hard Brexit 4-4-2. But feel free to pick whatever shape and formation you like, it all adds to the fun.

Goalkeeper - Brett Long (Dumbarton) - The most clean sheets in the league, the second most saves in the league and (possibly) my vote for Dumbarton's POTY. Brett Long is the best goalkeeper Sons have had on a permanent deal since Alan Martin, and I'm delighted we tied him down to a two year contract last summer. He's now got the club record for most clean sheets in a league season, and a club record for most clean sheets in a single season in all competitions. Marc McCallum is a close second, but Brett shades it. He's broken almost every goalkeeping record Sons have. How could he not?

Right-back - Willie Gibson (Annan Athletic) - Kind of going against my own rule on Kai Fotheringham here, but I was struggling for a right-back - and Willie Gibson was absolutely superb against us last weekend. If he hadn't taken the manager's job at QOS he'd still be an excellent player in League One (or higher) and it's no surprise that Annan's form has really taken off since he arrived. He can tackle, he can cross, he can shoot, he can organise. What more are you looking for?

Left-back - Cammy Clark (Stirling Albion) - Now he's stopped getting sent off every five minutes, it's probably time to appreciate Cammy Clark. I thought he looked excellent every time he played against us (until he tried to decapitate Aron Lynas on the opening day of the season) and was staggered to see Flynn Duffy playing over him at Forthbank the other week. Needless to say Duffy was hooked, Clark came on and the Binos improved. A very solid player who should take the step up in his stride.

Centre-back - Gregor Buchanan (Dumbarton) - I was Gregor Buchanan's biggest critic last season. Granted he didn't have a settled partner, but he was all over the place almost all year. This year, with the armband and either Stuart Carswell or Peter Grant beside him, he's been like the player we had in the Championship all those years ago. He's decent on the ball for a defender at this level, he's aggressive in the air, he's calmed his rush of blood tackling down and he's scored some important goals. When he plays well, Sons play well. When he doesn't play, Sons lose.

Centre-back - Paul McLean (Stirling Albion) - Paul McLean absolutely strolled through the game between us and Stirling in the Betfred Cup back in July, and frustrated the life out of me. Since then he's been even worse. Not only is he uncompromising at the back, he's also popped up with a fair few goals for the Binos this year. I don't think Stirling's other centre-halves are all that clever, but big McLean has that ability to drag players up to his level based on what I've seen.

Right-midfield - Matty Yates (Stenhousemuir) - I had to get him in here somewhere. In a really drab season for Stenny, and one where some interesting signings flopped, Matty Yates has been a class act. I knew a wee bit about him from Stranraer, but I didn't know he was quite this good! 12 goals and 15 assists in the league for a drab mid-table outfit - and he's only 20. I wonder if someone from a league or two above might fancy a punt on him (if there's any money sloshing about).

Central-midfield - Alex Ferguson (East Fife) - Alex Ferguson has quietly made himself one of the league's top players I reckon. He always catches my eye in East Fife's highlights, and he was excellent against us in their victory in February. He's clocked up a really decent total of goals and assists so far, and seems to be getting better every time he plays. The more he improves, the more East Fife improve. If they keep up this form I can see them going up. The momentum is with them.

Central-midfield - Finlay Gray (Dumbarton) - I was thinking about a few faces for central-midfield. Especially Reece Lyon of Annan Athletic. But I kept comparing people to Finlay Gray, and asking if I'd swap them for him. And I wouldn't. So he earns his spot. It's unusual for a player stepping up from the Lowland League to instantly look like a very good League Two player, but Finlay Gray has done that. His engine is incredible, he's one of the quickest players I've seen play for us. He's equally comfortable tracking back to tackle as he is driving at opposition defenders, and has the potential to become a bit Sam Stanton-esque if he tightens up his passing a wee bit. He's also a boyhood Sons fan, and when he signed we had a wee chat about how we grew up loving Scott Agnew. Which was a really nice moment for me. 

Left-midfield - Charlie Reilly (Albion Rovers) - The best player in the division for me. I absolutely love watching Charlie Reilly play. He's like a young Gareth Bale. I love the way he strikes the ball, I love the way he pulls off outrageous skills and he has scored some of the best goals I've seen this season. He has been involved in 76 percent of Rovers league goals; he's scored 23 and assisted 15 in all comps. Anyone without him in their side is kidding themselves on, because the guy is a special player. I'm interested to see where he ends up in the summer. Hopefully somewhere he is playing regularly and kicks on.

Striker - Dale Carrick (Stirling Albion) - I think everyone has always thought Dale Carrick was a good player. He's scored a fair few goals. He's a grafter and his face is one of the most well-used gifs on here. It was just his injuries that held him back. Well a fully fit Dale Carrick is finally on the scene, and it turns out he's prolific as well as a solid grafting 12-15 goal man. Take his goals away and the Binos would be 15 points worse off - that's a guy who doesn't stat pad. He bags important goals.

Striker - Kane Hester (Elgin City) - Tommy Goss is probably the more popular option here. But he's not had a great time against Sons, so I'll plump for Hester. In both home games at the Rock he's ran us ragged. He's played every role. He would hold play up, he would run the channels, he would drop deep, he'd play on the shoulder and get in behind. And he has scored a couple of goals. I'm a massive fan of his.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Same as Jan, I’ll base this off performances against us. 

GK - Blair Currie - Stirling Albion

Throwback to the first minute of the season away to Dumbarton, after his absolute howler, I’d be laughing if you’d told me Stirling were on the verge of champions, conceded the least amount of goals, and Currie would go on to be comfortably the best keeper in the league. 

RB - Ross McGeachie - Stirling Albion

A simply stunning season from Geeks, in what is his testimonial season. What better way to mark 10 years at the club with a league winners medal.

CB - Gregor Buchanan - Dumbarton

Suppose I should give Dumbarton a bit of credit. Buchanan the stand out in their defence, however the inability to defend corners almost cost him a place in my TOTS.

CB - Paul McLean - Stirling Albion

A majestic season from our captain. Calm and composed under pressure, silky runs forward on the ball, and always good for a goal from a corner. 

LB - Cammy Clark - Stirling Albion

Again, best LB in the division. (When he’s not suspended)

RM - Matty Yates - Stenny

Contradicting myself slightly here after saying I’ll bases it off performances against us, as he hasn’t turned up really, but hard to ignore those stats. 
(Honourable mention for RM - Chris Johnston - Annan)

CM - Nathaniel Wedderburn - Stenny

We’ve taken 12 points off Stenny this season, but have always been mildly impressed by the big man. I presume Stenny will be happy to have tied him down for next season. 

CM - Dom Docherty - Annan

Maybe slightly bias as I quite liked Dom when he was the Binos. But he’s seemed to have kicked on well at Annan over the past couple of seasons.

(Honourable mention for CM. If Ross Davidson had been fit at the start of the season, I’d be throwing him in. Gets a bit of stick from some Albion fans, but he’s class. Glad to have him signed up for League 1 next season.) 

LM - Charlie Reily - Albion Rovers

Diamond in the rough. Interesting to see who he signs for in the summer. Quality player. (Honourable mention for LM - super Kai Fotheringham. No explanation needed. 

ST - Tommy Goss - Annan

Superb season from the big man. Another one where it’ll be interesting to see if he can make the step up to League 1. Possibly with Annan through the PO’s. 

ST - Dale Carrick - Stirling Albion

Player of the season. Not just for club, but for the entire league. Mad to think our last gaffer tried to play him on the wing. Unreal work rate, incredible finisher. One more goal tomorrow night to seal top spot please sir. 🏆

If we’re basing on performance.

Greg Fleming - solid and fairly experienced keeper I have been impressed with Annan this season.

Aaron Steele - picking him he is solid and can play right back and centre back for east fife

Greg Buchanan - guy is a magnet at centre back.

Paul McLean - impressed with his form whenever I have seen of him

Sam Denham - best signing we made in the summer and in his first season at East Fife.

Charlie Reilly - Left midfielder is a handful at Albion Rovers.

Matty Yates - at stenny been impressed with him and a player I like see move to us.

Alex Ferguson - probably up there as our play of the year candidate and his assist and goals have been up there.

Tony Wallace - the no nonsense centre midfielder is like a bully you need in the side.

Dale Carrick - hands down

Tommy Goss - a big threat

manager of the year - Darren Young.

• 2 weeks later...