AI Music

RuMoore

AI is progressing at a frightening pace right now. Obviously most of it is pure shite but I'd be interested to hear what everyone's opinions are on this subject and how far it can go specifically in the music industry? How will this impact licensing and copyright going forward? Is there any songs or artists you'd like to hear cover other versions through this technology? Do you hate it all with a ferocious passion? 

Some of the most impressive stuff I've seen so far has been Kanye West covering other songs, I'll post some below. Of course these aren't the finished product but it's scary to see how close to sounding 100% authentic these are getting. 

Recently we've now seen AI songs go beyond covering other songs and people have been writing songs and producing them with new beats and AI voices of popular artists. I listened to one today that was made in the style of early Eminem and it was so surreal. 

Record lables must be shiting themselves. - https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65298834

Edited by RuMoore

• 1 month later...
On 06/06/2023 at 19:12, Zetterlund said:

On ChatGPT/AI generally, as well as the fun and occasionally useful chat functionality I've seen some pretty impressive AI-generated art. The latest version of Photoshop also has an AI-based 'generative' feature which can add scenery and objects into existing photographs seamlessly.

I'm not sure if such a thing exists yet, but I wonder what the implications are for music. It can't be far away from the point where we can just click a button and generate a professional-sounding song or full album. Even synthesizing known artists' vocals, creating a new Beatles single for example.

Tbh, some new music nowadays might as well be 100% computer-generated anyway, so the end result may not sound too different to much of what's on the radio currently.

Yer welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...

seen a few on youtube I thought were ok, but novelty soon wore off.

Reminded me of maybe back in the mid 2000s there was a load of mash-ups came out where two songs were spliced together.  Some were really good and worked but others not so.  It was cool for a few months but then got boring..,,the possibilities are endless but the results not always great so I dont see it being something thats going to get too popular...

• 2 months later...