Airdrieonians v The Champions

The result was all that mattered in many ways as we got the point needed for play off position . that's what I expected pre season so at least I won't need to go to that horrible Edinburgh whatever venue.

Really impressed by Dunfermline in the opening half with their pace/ passing/composure and yet the better saves were by Mehmet when we eventually got going. It was quite a soft goal we lost but fair dos to Wighton with his finish.

Felt we did deserve to see Gallagher equalise and the first red card was correct. There's an old cliché about how difficult it is to play against 10 so when it became an unjustified 9 ( modern game ruined by these fouls being red card) it was frustrating to see how unable we were in getting the lead. Dunfermline showed the other side of champions in that solid defensive shape. We seemed to want to walk-in a goal and our season long failure just to shoot , was annoying again. 

The guys having a ding dong in the away stand with the polis was a wee distraction from my feeling that we'd never score a winner.

treated to a visit to the Shimla where a grand lamb curry was scoofed.

Given our record in play offs I suspect we'll not see the Pars next season but hope springs eternal.

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Manager+post+Airdrieonians&ID=14347

Decent listen from McPake. Lots of praise for Airdrie and talks about how he’s pleased for Mochrie and Mahon to experience having to muck in and defend. He can be quite zen like that. The game after we’d chucked a two goal lead and were winning 2-1 he said he wanted it to stay 2-1, rather than go to 3-1 or 4-1 as he wanted the players to learn to believe they can see out games. 

Firstly congratulations to Dunfermline for deservedly winning the league, and also to Airdrie for clinching a play off spot...  A nice sporting gesture by Airdrie to give them a guard of honour prior to the game,  personally don't understand the booing in the home support for the gesture....

Onto the game and like last week we struggled first half in midfield, to be fair the tempo, rotation and passing was top notch by our opponents in that spell....

Rhys McCabe is pivotal to our play off progress,  we need him in midfield, the young lads have done great, but I think it is time to give them a  spell to recharge....

Now for the controversial comment Airdrie catering,  we have been to Falkirk, Allo a and Dunfermline recently and I think it is fair to say they are all superior in all aspects of catering,  today we served up another stinker, pie inedible not just mine,     service poor also,   surely this has to be improved upon moving forward...

18 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We all had a laugh watching a boy getting huckled out in the opposite stand and seconds later some tube started swinging at the police dragging him out and got himself huckled out too, right after Dunfermline’s goal

Fair play to the polis wuman as well, scoring with the takedown of the swinging boy before the bigger plod marched the boy out wi the scruff of the neck.

28 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We all had a laugh watching a boy getting huckled out in the opposite stand and seconds later some tube started swinging at the police dragging him out and got himself huckled out too, right after Dunfermline’s goal

Hahahaha oh well long night ahead.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

They’ve done more against us than your bunch of shite the beds have. I’ve seen all Pars Vs Falkirk/Airdrie games this season and Airdrie have been better than Falkirk consistently. 

Will be lovely to see them sign you up for another season of L1 jobbies x

Love this!  Yeah, been hearing that from fans across the league for most of the season.  But like last season when we were most definitely the most entertaining team, we were runners up to Cove.  But that means sweet FA now.  In to the playoffs and it looks like us v Falkirk for the first round.  Would love nothing more than to resign Falkirk to another season in L1.  Then maybe do the same to Hamilton?  Double sweetness 

7 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Alas unlikely. Don't tend to keep folk in custody for a bit of fitba related nonsense these days. Not like when you were a lad!

My misdemeanors were not football related!

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Didn't Hamilton go back in to defence?

I'm not sure I understand you right. Are you criticising the ref for wearing all black?

Before the game he surely would have noticed he was wearing the same all back kit as the Dunfermline goalkeeper.   So to pause the game to have a player warming up be told to change his colours this will be make him different from the playing goal keeper when the referee is wearing the exact same.   Then unless their has been a rule change in not aware has happened then this is a very basic error.   Only pointing out it was not the only thing he got wrong today. 

3 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Before the game he surely would have noticed he was wearing the same all back kit as the Dunfermline goalkeeper.   So to pause the game to have a player warming up be told to change his colours this will be make him different from the playing goal keeper when the referee is wearing the exact same.   Then unless their has been a rule change in not aware has happened then this is a very basic error.   Only pointing out it was not the only thing he got wrong today. 

Eh? The ref isn't a player though.

2 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Happens fairly often, last week we played queen's and both teams had white shorts which Im sure didn't used to be allowed. 

All up to the ref at the end of the game if he didn't think it was an issue then fair enough probably not expecting him or the assistants being near where the keeper is.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Eh? The ref isn't a player though.

OK not sure if you were at the game but the Dunfermline goalkeeper was wearing all back.   So was the ref.   He then stopped the game to make the Dunfermline sub goalie change as he had a black top on as he warmed up behind the goal.   Before a game starts the ref is not allowed to wear the same colours as a goalkeeper of either side.   Previously this has lead to a ref wearing a bib  or a goalkeeper borrowing a top for the other side.   

3 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

OK not sure if you were at the game but the Dunfermline goalkeeper was wearing all back.   So was the ref.   He then stopped the game to make the Dunfermline sub goalie change as he had a black top on as he warmed up behind the goal.   Before a game starts the ref is not allowed to wear the same colours as a goalkeeper of either side.   Previously this has lead to a ref wearing a bib  or a goalkeeper borrowing a top for the other side.   

Yeah wasn't at the game and was not aware of that rule.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah wasn't at the game and was not aware of that rule.

The reason for my original post on this is for me it's a basic rule in football.   I see on TV team or goalkeeper kits and referee kits looking similar but their is usually some difference like shorts or even just sleeves.   Today they both wore all black their is previous instances in lots of games this has caused problems.   It may be its all on the ref or if both teams agree its not an issue.   The biggest example I can remember was a Scotland England game around 89/90 Peter Shilton had to wear a Scotland top as his goalkeeper top was the same as the ref. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Happens fairly often, last week we played queen's and both teams had white shorts which Im sure didn't used to be allowed. 

All up to the ref at the end of the game if he didn't think it was an issue then fair enough probably not expecting him or the assistants being near where the keeper is.

Referees have almost never cared about a clash of shorts. Mainly because it's not often that the shorts areas causes a debate about which player touched a ball. They insist on different shirt and socks so they can see in a melee which colour touched it, but shorts are almost never a factor. There's never been any rule not allowing a clash of shorts.

That said, the occasional referee also gets picky about it. We had one last year who twice made us change from white shorts v Hamilton as they also had white shorts. In my experience though, (about 12 years of negotiating colours with refs and opposition) pretty much every other ref couldn't care less about shorts. The likes of Rangers, Celtic Hearts, Hibs all play in white shorts against each other regularly.

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

There's absolutely no rule that says the ref can't wear the same colours as either side's keeper. They try to avoid it if possible but it's not always possible depending what options each side has. It's pretty unusual for refs to be anywhere near either goalkeeper on the pitch (they very rarely run into a penalty area during open play) so if need be they will wear the same as a GK. They prefer the two opposing keepers to have different kits in case the game gets to a stage where one keeper comes up for a late set piece in the other box. They'll prefer for their own kit to clash with one keeper than for both keepers to wear the same.

And subs are never allowed to warm up without a bib of some sort on. The sub GK should have had one on even if he was wearing a colour different to the on field keeper.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And subs are never allowed to warm up without a bib of some sort on. The sub GK should have had one on even if he was wearing a colour different to the on field keeper.

I honestly couldn’t tell you last time our subs warmed up in bibs apart from when they do small sided stuff at HT.  they wear our training tops.  Think the issue was that little also had on his training jacket that was black. 

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Referees have almost never cared about a clash of shorts. Mainly because it's not often that the shorts areas causes a debate about which player touched a ball. They insist on different shirt and socks so they can see in a melee which colour touched it, but shorts are almost never a factor. There's never been any rule not allowing a clash of shorts.

That said, the occasional referee also gets picky about it. We had one last year who twice made us change from white shorts v Hamilton as they also had white shorts. In my experience though, (about 12 years of negotiating colours with refs and opposition) pretty much every other ref couldn't care less about shorts. The likes of Rangers, Celtic Hearts, Hibs all play in white shorts against each other regularly.

There's absolutely no rule that says the ref can't wear the same colours as either side's keeper. They try to avoid it if possible but it's not always possible depending what options each side has. It's pretty unusual for refs to be anywhere near either goalkeeper on the pitch (they very rarely run into a penalty area during open play) so if need be they will wear the same as a GK. They prefer the two opposing keepers to have different kits in case the game gets to a stage where one keeper comes up for a late set piece in the other box. They'll prefer for their own kit to clash with one keeper than for both keepers to wear the same.

Thank you for clearing that up.  I always believed this was a rule with regards to kit clashes with the referee.   1st time seen it as usually their is obvious difference.  

37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're wrong to state that there's 'absolutely no rule that says the ref can't wear the same colours as either side's keeper.' While it might not always work out in practice for the reasons you state, Law 4 absolutely does say that it shouldn't happen:

• The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials

• Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

• If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-players-equipment/#compulsory-equipment

I can't remember what choice of colours referees have at the moment, but they certainly have the option of that lilac top that came in recently, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused any clash at all.

And yes, it's quite funny that in a game with two players sent off, both marginal calls in my view, that there's as much discussion of a decision on colours that was utterly trivial!

47 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I honestly couldn’t tell you last time our subs warmed up in bibs apart from when they do small sided stuff at HT.  they wear our training tops.  Think the issue was that little also had on his training jacket that was black. 

I imagine it's routinely ignored if there's no actual clash but they are supposed to wear bibs, definitely a rule in the cup competitions, I'd need to double check the league rules.

35 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Thank you for clearing that up.  I always believed this was a rule with regards to kit clashes with the referee.   1st time seen it as usually their is obvious difference.  

Per below from Socks apparently there is a law to an extent anyway so we're both half right. It never the less does happen from time to time.

16 minutes ago, Socks said:

You're wrong to state that there's 'absolutely no rule that says the ref can't wear the same colours as either side's keeper.' While it might not always work out in practice for the reasons you state, Law 4 absolutely does say that it shouldn't happen:

• The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials

• Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

• If the two goalkeepers’ shirts are the same colour and neither has another shirt, the referee allows the match to be played

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-players-equipment/#compulsory-equipment

I can't remember what choice of colours referees have at the moment, but they certainly have the option of that lilac top that came in recently, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have caused any clash at all.

And yes, it's quite funny that in a game with two players sent off, both marginal calls in my view, that there's as much discussion of a decision on colours that was utterly trivial!

Fair enough, stand corrected on that. It still happens from time to time. Happened in one of our games a couple of weeks ago, both our keeper and the referee wore yellow.