Most significant single of the 60s.

btb

Please, Please Me - The Beatles

Not the best single of the 60s but IMO the most significant.

After the moderate success of Love Me Do (their manager Brian Epstein bought thousands of copies) their producer George Martin wanted The Beatles to release How Do You Do (later a hit for Gerry & The Pacemakers) as the follow up single but the band wanted to release another of their own compositions. They eventually won their fight to release Please, Please Me but on the condition that if it was not a hit they would let Martin choose the follow up.

The record was a hit and  their music remained at the top of the charts and also the forefront of experimental music for the rest of the decade. More importantly they paved (almost mandated) the way for bands to play, write and control their own music changing the face of pop/rock music for decades to come - if you don't believe me check out the charts in 1962 against 1964.

All on the back of a now nearly forgotten single.

I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles.

Opened up North America for the Beatles. Changed Bob Dylan, changed pop/rock music forever........and, 60 years on, it's still a stunning piece of pop music. Play that and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' back to back to anyone who thinks The Beatles are overrated.