The Passive Nature of the Modern Scottish Football Fan

Apathy in Scottish Football  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Once I had the kids I stopped going as much. Once kids were old enough took them to a couple county games at St Mirrin. 

For me the price is a big issue. Ticket and travel and you are £40 down. If you take the kids then that adds more. It's simply not affordable.

This is the same as me. stopped going when children were small, eldest son now wants to go to games but cant afford to go to more than a handful of games, if it was £5 to get in we'd go, but over £20 for us both to go and watch league 1 football just isnt on. As for apathy I think a lot of people just feel it would do no goodd. If you boycot your own team and other teams fans go then you're only harming your own team. Boycots also create a dreadful atmosphere outside the ground, I remember the boycot at Airdrie during the period we were going into liquidation with one lot of fans trying to stop others going into the ground, not good at all. 

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I for one would join, as suggested, a Scottish football fans union so we could speak as a collective.

I have said for years there should be something like this established that does not include fans/representatives from either Rangers or Celtic. 

Just now, paul wright scores said:

I have said for years there should be something like this established that does not include fans/representatives from either Rangers or Celtic. 

That would never work and never have any influence. 

Like it or not they need to be involved. 

On 04/05/2023 at 07:19, Willie adie said:

Scottish football fans, are mugs, we have sat back and allowed clubs to pillage, the soul of the game with not one tangible piece of resistance,

For years clubs have used fans as cash cows, and have never shown any regards for fans views, SPFL, SFA, and clubs they know that fans will not rebel in any great numbers.

We have put up with rising admission prices,  poor sponsorship deals,  disgraceful broadcasting agreements,  and generally a poor product, from a game obsessed with self interest and greed,

I'm afraid it's broken me , I've lost the passion and zeal of the game , I've lost the fight to get a fairer, more exciting game,

I've accepted that I will never see a club outwith Celtic or rangers win the league ever again, and what makes it worse is the other clubs appear to have too,

Agreed. We should have changed the rules on votes when Rangers went down the leagues but self interest fucked it 

2 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

:lol: Yeah, great work this.

We're for fans (NO NOT YOU).

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

:lol: Yeah, great work this.

We're for fans (NO NOT YOU).

Obviously you're right here.

No group could expect to have any sort of meaningful voice if fans of that pair were excluded.

I do understand the impulse behind the sentiment though.  The biggest problems are presented by these two clubs, and there's little evidence that their fans have any problem with the imbalance.  This place probably houses more sane OF fans than is typical, yet even so, the Celtic ones in particular seem to adore enshrined injustice.

Even a fan of Hearts or Aberdeen has more in common with a Stranraer fan than he or she has with OF followers.

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2023 at 12:04, 10menwent2mow said:

The young generation do seem to be keen. Things like the Red Shed at Pittodrie, the Well Bois, the St Johnstone lot, are at least trying to create a bit of atmosphere but I don't think they are trying to affect change, it's more a case of belonging to something as a collective. 

That's always been the case to some extent though.

I loved going to Hearts games in the 70s and early 80s as a kid and teenager.

It wasn’t the scintillating football.

These youngsters are just doing the same.

Personally they bug the hell out of me but I'm not supposed to like it.

On 05/05/2023 at 13:07, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed. We should have changed the rules on votes when Rangers went down the leagues but self interest fucked it 

As it always will.

Romanov at Hearts voiced opinions that you'd think would chime with supporters of other clubs on subjects like the SFA, media and referees.

What was the reaction?

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Well done to those who fought off the Conference League (for now).

Looks like enthusiasm's back on the menu, boys!

Aye, well done. And it was great to see Clubs polling fans for their views. Not that many years ago the fans' views would not have been sought. So well done all those that told their Clubs to vote no.