Hearts vs Aberdeen - Saturday 20th May

Huge game this for both teams, but probably more so for Hearts. With 5 points separating the 2 sides in the race for 3rd, a Hearts win will keep things interesting going into the final 2 games. A draw would see Aberdeen almost over the finishing line, while a Dons win would see them confirmed in 3rd place with 2 games to spare.

As huge a game as this is for Hearts mind you, it could mean **** all by next Wednesday unless our pals from Paisley do us a favour up in the granite city, but one step at a time.

The away side hasn't won this fixture since May 2017, and that was Aberdeen at Tynecastle. Just don't **** it up now Hearts, please.

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I expect us to win but i think 3rd went on Saturday.  A win puts us in the driving seat for 4th at least, so important we go all out for it.

Agree with this. I think we'll edge it, especially if we show the same intensity of the last 2 home games, but it's too little too late.  Can't see Aberdeen dropping anything at home to St Mirren, but securing the grip on 4th and applying a wee bit pressure is the best we can do.

IMG_2853.thumb.jpeg.7592f5a137d6a41c4b60ec8e59c0f5c7.jpeg

Getting strong memories of this…also game 36, also a draw being enough to keep us in pole position but with work to do. One of my favourite away day memories. 

I would make hearts heavy favourites for this one though, I would take an absolute shitfest horrible 0-0 right now. 

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

a Dons win would see them confirmed in 3rd place with 2 games to spare.

I don't think we will win, but the pedant in me has to point out that if we do win, Hibs would still be able to get the same points as us, 57, and they would probably have a better goal difference if that did happen.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I don't think we will win, but the pedant in me has to point out that if we do win, Hibs would still be able to get the same points as us, 57, and they would probably have a better goal difference if that did happen.

True, but realistically, that's never going to happen. Even the most optimistic Hibs fan won't have any expectation of winning the last 3 games. Even then, you would still only need a point from St Mirren to secure it mathematically.

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

True, but realistically, that's never going to happen. Even the most optimistic Hibs fan won't have any expectation of winning the last 3 games. Even then, you would still only need a point from St Mirren to secure it mathematically.

True, bit my point is that if Aberdeen do beat Hearts, highly unlikely, Aberdeen are not guaranteed third.

Having witnessed our difficulties in even retaining possession in the Hibs half on Saturday, our injury and suspension issues to key players, our poor record at Tynecastle and the fact Hearts need three points to apply pressure then it's likely that this forthcoming fixture is going to be an unhappy experience from an Aberdeen perspective.

Indeed, with that Hibs match still fresh in my mind, I'm not sure how we're going to beat St Mirren.

I still think there's a final twist in the race for 3rd although I'm praying not.

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Having witnessed our difficulties in even retaining possession in the Hibs half on Saturday, our injury and suspension issues to key players, our poor record at Tynecastle and the fact Hearts need three points to apply pressure then it's likely that this forthcoming fixture is going to be an unhappy experience from an Aberdeen perspective.

Indeed, with that Hibs match still fresh in my mind, I'm not sure how we're going to beat St Mirren.

I still think there's a final twist in the race for 3rd although I'm praying not.

Have to agree. It’s a long way from dons and dusted. 
Hopefully the McCrorie returning rumour is true, and Shinnie will provide fresh impetus for the St Mirren game. All is not lost but it’s not won yet either. 

21 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hearts are missing at least Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Baningime, and Boyce, so I don't really see this being an issue from an Aberdeen point of view.

Score draw, I reckon.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Hearts are missing at least Gordon, Smith, Halkett, Baningime, and Boyce, so I don't really see this being an issue from an Aberdeen point of view.

Score draw, I reckon.

Hearts have something resembling a squad.

Aberdeen have 11 or 12 players Robson trusts, then a cliffedge.

Shinnie's scandalous absence and Duk/McCrorie's injuries are real sore ones for us.  Whilst these are all good players for Hearts that anyone at our level would miss, it does seem that your squad depth is better.

Which is of course, one of the reasons why if you do finish ahead of us, then we can possibly have no complaints on that score.

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Hearts have something resembling a squad.

Aberdeen have 11 or 12 players Robson trusts, then a cliffedge.

Shinnie's scandalous absence and Duk/McCrorie's injuries are real sore ones for us.  Whilst these are all good players for Hearts that anyone at our level would miss, it does seem that your squad depth is better.

Which is of course, one of the reasons why if you do finish ahead of us, then we can possibly have no complaints on that score.

I think the last few months have shown the limitations of the squad Hearts have. While the number and positions of the missing players have been significant, the players asked to come in haven't been up to it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens about Haring's appeal, as we can't really afford to be missing him in the middle of the park on top of the other five we're already without. I don't expect his appeal to be successful, but we could very much do with him. Going into a must-win game missing six likely starters would be very on-brand for this season.

Short of Shankland getting injured, it's hard to see how Aberdeen could have caught us any weaker. Similar to when we went to Pittodrie in October.

Edited by VincentGuerin