Hearts vs Aberdeen - Saturday 20th May

4 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Huge game this for both teams, but probably more so for Hearts. With 5 points separating the 2 sides in the race for 3rd, a Hearts win will keep things interesting going into the final 2 games. A draw would see Aberdeen almost over the finishing line, while a Dons win would see them confirmed in 3rd place with 2 games to spare.

As huge a game as this is for Hearts mind you, it could mean **** all by next Wednesday unless our pals from Paisley do us a favour up in the granite city, but one step at a time.

The away side hasn't won this fixture since May 2017, and that was Aberdeen at Tynecastle. Just don't **** it up now Hearts, please.

"Our pals from Paisley " ! 

Nah....

140991-premier-league-st-mirren-v-hearts-2-3-love-street-paisley-hearts-BJH3WW.jpg

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Think third place went North a while ago.

Think this will be a score draw - Desmond 2-2.

Aye. Even if we win this, they'll beat St Mirren no bother. As soon as that fixture got reversed to Pittodrie it was done.

Get fourth tied up and have a more manageable summer is now the main thing.

Edited by VincentGuerin

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye. Even if we win this, they'll beat St Mirren no bother. As soon as that fixture got reversed to Pittodrie it was done.

Get fourth tied up and have a more manageable summer is now the main thing.

I know this is turning into a game of ‘naw you guys will win’ here, but there’s no certainty/evidence that we’ll beat st Mirren comfortably. 

If we lose this weekend then that becomes a very high pressure game against a team playing with little pressure and who have already beaten us twice. Also that’s all on the presumption you’ll lose at ibrox which is no certainty either. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know this is turning into a game of ‘naw you guys will win’ here, but there’s no certainty/evidence that we’ll beat st Mirren comfortably. 

If we lose this weekend then that becomes a very high pressure game against a team playing with little pressure and who have already beaten us twice. Also that’s all on the presumption you’ll lose at ibrox which is no certainty either. 

I was following you up till that last sentence.  Rangers will pump us

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

We've given that lot enough gifts the last few years. With nothing to play for, it's about time they return the favour.

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I was following you up till that last sentence.  Rangers will pump us

The rangers we played at ibrox were basically done for the season, now they’ve dished out their meaningless pumping to Celtic they will be doubly so. 

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I can see how the St Mirren game becomes a nervy one if you lose on Saturday, but from where we sit now, disregarding everything else, all you have to do is win what is on paper the easiest top six game and you finish third. If that game was in Paisley, I'd fancy Hearts from here.

But it isn't. There'll be a big crowd, there'll be a big bonus on offer, and they'll win the game.

I can actually see a situation where we get a result at Ibrox. It's not likely, but it wouldn't shock me either. But I think we all accept the much more likely scenario is that Aberdeen beat St Mirren at home and Hearts lose at Ibrox.

Any other outcome apart from Aberdeen finishing third needs at least one of two eyebrow-raising results as well as Hearts beating Aberdeen on Saturday. It's done.

Edited by VincentGuerin

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A man after my own heart, summed it up perfectly.

16 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I can see how the St Mirren game becomes a nervy one if you lose on Saturday, but from where we sit now, disregarding everything else, all you have to do is win what is on paper the easiest top six game and you finish third. If that game was in Paisley, I'd fancy Hearts from here.

But it isn't. There'll be a big crowd, there'll be a big bonus on offer, and they'll win the game.

I can actually see a situation where we get a result at Ibrox. It's not likely, but it wouldn't shock me either. But I think we all accept the much more likely scenario is that Aberdeen beat St Mirren at home and Hearts lose at Ibrox.

Any other outcome apart from Aberdeen finishing third needs at least one of two eyebrow-raising results as well as Hearts beating Aberdeen on Saturday. It's done.

I’d be saying the same in your position tbf. 

All I’m saying is, this really isn’t all over yet. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’d be saying the same in your position tbf. 

All I’m saying is, this really isn’t all over yet. 

I think the circumstances feed into the game on Saturday. Hearts are going into it knowing that even three points leaves us with a trip to Ibrox while Aberdeen have the most favourable fixture they could possibly have, probably wiping out any gains from Saturday. An element of running to stand still.

I'll be interested to see, but I think we might see a slightly off the boil Hearts on Saturday.

As I said, I think it would change the picture were Aberdeen going to Paisley. In that scenario I'd really fancy Hearts to put the pressure on. The last couple of performances have been much better in general terms.

Edited by VincentGuerin

It's at Tynecastle so Hearts will almost certainly win.

I am most concerned about our midfield here - this is exactly the type of battle and occasion that Shinnie can make a big difference, like in the 3-0 game at Pittodrie. Hibs frankly controlled us in there on Saturday without too much sweat. I would like Barron to come in to try and give us more of a foothold, and also a bit more composure in possession, but I don't have a clue what the situation is with him.