Players - Most Goals in a Season

HibeeJibee

Officially I think it's a record, but depends where you draw the line. George Mainwaring may well have scored 103 goals in a season for Walmington on Sea Rovers in the Sussex league 1922/23

59 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Officially I think it's a record, but depends where you draw the line. George Mainwaring may well have scored 103 goals in a season for Walmington on Sea Rovers in the Sussex league 1922/23

That would be good going at 37 years of age...

22 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Still with 2 or 3 games left Tiwi Daramola of Bo'ness Athletic... bound for Kelty next season... has scored 80 goals in all competitions.

Is the Scottish or British record known?

That is some achievement! 

The record I am aware of was set by Tommy Duffy (Ardeer Thistle) who scored 97 goals in the 1959/60 Season.  His record was shown in the Guinness Book of Records and from memory it was described as a record for “junior professional football” – lower case “j”. 

I am aware of two others who scored over 80 goals in Ayrshire Junior football:

Davie Cook (Largs Thistle) 87 goals in 52 competitive matches in the 1957/58 Season

Willie Gray (Kilwinning Rangers) 83 goals in one season in the 1920’s.

3 hours ago, bluedragon said:

The record I am aware of was set by Tommy Duffy (Ardeer Thistle) who scored 97 goals in the 1959/60 Season.  

Davie Cook (Largs Thistle) 87 goals in 52 competitive matches in the 1957/58 Season

Willie Gray (Kilwinning Rangers) 83 goals in one season in the 1920’s.

Those records, especially the later two are absolutely sensational. Even if they played 50-60 games a season with local cups etc that's still nearly two a game. Hope Tiwi does well at Kelty, huge jump from tier 9 to 3 but I'm sure he'll be fine 

Two more high scoring Junior footballers:

ALEX HAIR

The history of Strathclyde FC written in 1936 says that in the 1922-23 season Alex Hair scored 96 goals as they completed the Glasgow Junior Football League double, winning the league title and the league cup together with a local charity cup.   Strathclyde also competed in the North-Eastern Cup, Glasgow Cup, Easter Junior Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup and the Glasgow Junior Consolation Cup. A dispute between the Scottish Junior Football Associations and the Glasgow Junior League meant Glasgow clubs could not enter the Scottish Junior Cup or West of Scotland Cup competitions.

BOBBY CARROLL

Bobby Carroll’s 75 goal haul in the 1958-59 season for Irvine Meadow may appear modest by the records set by Willie Gray, Alex Hair, Davie Cook and Tommy Duffy.  However, Bobby was an outside right and not a centre forward.  His performance that season earned him the Empire News Junior Player of the Year award.  In paying tribute in the Daily Record following his death his friend and former Celtic team mate, Bertie Auld said: “he wasn't an out-and-out winger, though.  He could be a bit of a goal-poacher as well and he wanted to be involved in everything.”

Postscript

The history of Largs Thistle says that in the 1957-58 season Davie Cook scored 7 further goals in pre-season games and 2 in an abandoned match.

• 2 weeks later...