Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

The decision to play England, France and The Netherlands all within 5 months seemed strange too.  It was meant as a 'We're going to be playing these types of sides in the Nation's League so need to get used to them' but in reality it ended up as 'We've killed all momentum we had from the qualifying group stone fucking dead'.

Get him to f**k. I could never take to his overly dour, miserable demeanour, his one or two word answers in press conferences, his misplaced arrogance. After all the good work the fans did representing Scotland in Germany, winning hearts and minds, our manager tears it all down by showing himself to be a bitter wee xenophobe. f**k off Clarke.

Edited by Enigma

13 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I’ve always supported Clarke, but that was a coward’s performance.

First shot on goal from Grant Hanley in the 96th minute against a poor Hungary team.

The level of fear in that team can only be a cultural thing and that only changes at the top.

Against the Swiss we won a corner within 2 minutes and the Tartan Army roared like it was a goal, because it indicated some oompf and urgency.

Tonight we were too shit scared to make two forward passes in a row.

Honourable mention to someone I’m very fond of… Andy Robertson was an absolute shambles. Was he injured?

Anyway, rant over.

I cannot remember Switzerland parking the bus 

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The decision to play England, France and The Netherlands all within 5 months seemed strange too.  It was meant as a 'We're going to be playing these types of sides in the Nation's League so need to get used to them' but in reality it ended up as 'We've killed all momentum we had from the qualifying group stone fucking dead'.

We were going to be playing these types of sides in the last week 

and Northern Ireland were practice for Hungary in the first half 

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

3 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

It really isn't that difficult to understand, playing with three clunky CB's slows down our build up of attack as Gilmour for example would have to constantly run upto them to take the ball

We see the exact same with 4atb. We saw it against Northern Ireland and everyone said there wasn't enough movement up front. Teams being 'ponderous' in possession isn't unique to 3atb. I don't recognise the link that you're trying to make.

Correlation doesn't equal causation: it's not me being smart, but it is smart to realise that sometimes even if two variables show a correlation that doesn't imply causation. 

42 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Hilariously bad faith arguing to be stating teams by whom Clarke was sacked by, when Moyes has been sacked, "left by mutual consent" or had his contract unrenewed by every club he's worked for since he left Everton over a decade ago.

I think Moyes is a good manager. I also think Clarke is a good manager. I actually think they're extremely similar in both their style and demeanor. I'm not at all convinced that Moyes is a definitive upgrade. It's fresh-ish v continuity, for essentially the same thing. I'd prefer continuity for now.

Obviously there're more options in the world of available football managers than just David Moyes, but like others have said, I don't trust the SFA to get that right, even if there are better options than Clarke, which, given the limitations in attacking options we have as a nation, and his relationship with / knowledge of the players, I'm not convinced there is. 

We can all complain, but in reality, sometimes football teams have a ceiling, regardless of the formation, tactics, etc chosen, and given the limiting factor of the players that were unavailable - especially last night - I think we just hit that ceiling.

I don’t think it is but you can argue not getting past the groups is the ceiling of the squad. What you absolutely can’t argue is that those three performances are the ceiling of where this squad can get to. 

8 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Get him to f**k. I could never take to his overly dour, miserable demeanour, his one or two word answers in press conferences, his misplaced arrogance. After all the good work the fans did representing Scotland in Germany, winning hearts and minds, our manager tears it all down by showing himself to be a bitter wee xenophobe. f**k off Clarke.

He has quite clearly spent far too much time in England. 

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Are you trying to derail the foreign manager movement by touting the most unrealistic names 🤣

You're absolutely flying this morning. Did you have a good night last night? 

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We see the exact same with 4atb. We saw it against Northern Ireland and everyone said there wasn't enough movement up front. Teams being 'ponderous' in possession isn't unique to 3atb. I don't recognise the link that you're trying to make.

Correlation doesn't equal causation: it's not me being smart, but it is smart to realise that sometimes even if two variables show a correlation that doesn't imply causation. 

You're just speaking corporate w**k speak again.

We don't see the exact same with 4atb, that's nonsense man. Having an extra striker or attacking mid to pull midfields and defences around by making smart movements will open up the spaces more infront. If you choose to ignore that then that's a strange hill for you to die on. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I cannot stand Moyes and wouldn’t want him as Scotland manager.

In terms of set-up, approach, own demeanour etc etc I fail to see what Moyes will offer that will be different from Clarke. If Clarke were to decide to step down, and probably this a good time for him to do so, then appointing Moyes would be akin to asking Clarke to sign a new contract after resigning. 

2 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

You're just speaking corporate w**k speak again.

We don't see the exact same with 4atb, that's nonsense man. Having an extra striker or attacking mid to pull midfields and defences around by making smart movements will open up the spaces more infront. If you choose to ignore that then that's a strange hill for you to die on. 

You asked my opinion and I gave you my answer and my reasoning behind it, which is robust. 

• 3atb is fundamentally not different to 4atb. Teams play between those shapes and many others in a game depending on the situation in a game.
  • The issues in the game last night have been seen with other teams and it's been seen with our team regardless of it being 3atb or 4atb. Gibraltar v Scotland?
  • You are trying to link the two, The system and the performance - I don't know why, but you're overlooking correlation ≠ causation. 

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

For me Clarke has done an excellent job getting us performing in the qualifiers.

But poor/horrific during the main event.

Euro 2020.

Scotland v Czechia - Our first game back in a major competition and *Home* advantage. Finally we are back. Its been a long hard road but lets make it count.

We lose 2-0 in the end. We were in the game and had some good chances to score. Caused the Czech's problems. But the 2nd goal killed us. Still have no idea why Marshall was so far out his box. A hard one to take.

England v Scotland - we needed a result to stay in the competition. A battling performance and the game ends 0-0. Yes it was a draw but to avoid defeat too those b*****ds felt like a victory at the time.

Scotland v Croatia - We needed to win.

Despite some good play and chamces we ended up losing 3-1 to a strong Croatia side. We should have done better.

Euro 2024.

Germany v Scotland - fucking shambolic. Went into that game looking to lose. And we end up getting pumped 5-1. Should have been 10-0 if the Germans hadnt eased off like they did. We were so shit that we will never be allowed to forget that result.

Scotland v Switzerland - A game where we were fired up for it. Right from the start we looked to put the Swiss on the back foot. Though we rode our luck and the Swiss should have scored more we end up with a 1-1 draw. We needed to make changes earlier if we wanted to get a win which was frustrating.

Scotland v Hungary - We needed a win. We needed a performance. We needed to show we are good enough to play at the Euros.

What did we get.

A turgid, depressing, feable performance. Hungary just sat back and let us have the ball yet we offered no attacking threat. Just passed the ball sideways and backwards. Clarke unable to deviate from his tactical setup, to look to exploit it, to switch things up. Just same old same old. Barely mustered a shot at goal or a corner. Just looked to play for set pieces and lump it into the box. Only to fail at that too.

Kept faith with the same players regardless of how they performed during the game and then left it far too late to make changes.

A truely shite performance summed up by conceding a very late goal on the counter attack. But in truth we deserved to lose as we did f**k all that game. At least Hungary were attempting to score goals.

EURO 2020 was poor. We should have done better but at least we tried. A bit of luck herr or there and we would have done better.

But at EURO 2024 we barely even turned up. One of the worst performance of any team at any EURO's. All those fans come across to support the team only to be served up a shite sandwich and washed down by a bottle of Clarke's pish.

The warning signs were there in the friendlies. We failed to prepare. He failed to adapt and look at players out with the usual players unless he absolutely had too. He took players that were clearly out of form, not fit, not good enough anymore and just expected them to play like before just because he knows them.

What next. Who knows. If Clarke stays he needs to seriously start to bring other players in and give them a chance. Drop the old guard and pave a path forward for others.

If he goes then we need a manager that is capable to try new things. Make changes when needed and know when things are not right.

I am sure we would have done better this tournament if we had not lost the players we did through injury

Having said that some of the " fit " players looked like they had had a long hard season 

It does look like three / five at the back is only beneficial if Tierney is fit ( and in this tournament Hickey and Patterson )

I do not see much benefit of Gilmour coming back to take the ball off the back 3

I thought at least Hendry was supposed to be comfortable on the ball to bring it forward 

So the future might be 4 - 5 - 1    /   4 - 3 - 3

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You asked my opinion and I gave you my answer and my reasoning behind it, which is robust. 

• 3atb is fundamentally not different to 4atb. Teams play between those shapes and many others in a game depending on the situation in a game.
  • The issues in the game last night have been seen with other teams and it's been seen with our team regardless of it being 3atb or 4atb. Gibraltar v Scotland?
  • You are trying to link the two, The system and the performance - I don't know why, but you're overlooking correlation ≠ causation. 

It isn’t so much about the formation, as the personnel last nights formation lead to. 

When we are chasing a goal and the game is getting stretched do we want three centre halves who can’t move the ball progressively, or an extra creative midfielder or striker that can support us going forward. 

Starting with three centre halves was absolutely fine, he just took far far too long to change it. 

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I am sure we would have done better this tournament if we had not lost the players we did through injury

Having said that some of the " fit " players looked like they had had a long hard season 

It does look like three / five at the back is only beneficial if Tierney is fit ( and in this tournament Hickey and Patterson )

I do not see much benefit of Gilmour coming back to take the ball off the back 3

I thought at least Hendry was supposed to be comfortable on the ball to bring it forward 

So the future might be 4 - 5 - 1    /   4 - 3 - 3

Some of the players still need to improve 

46 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

" Ponderous in possession " is not unique to 3atb but an extra man in midfield ,  or up front , increases the choices to hopefully pass to 

43 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You're absolutely flying this morning. Did you have a good night last night? 

Not really, I had to watch scotland lose and go out. The fact it's made you look an absolute clown does cheer me up slightly tho

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

The fact it's made you look an absolute clown does cheer me up slightly tho

I'm an online account. Why would that cheer you up?