Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I cannot be arsed with people banging on about our lack of players, yes we are not perfect and have plenty of flaws - but so do the vast majority of international teams, games like last nights had nothing to do with individuals but the set up and attitude of the manager and his influence on the team. 

I could have absolutely accepted going out if we’d just went for it and left everything on the table but we were hesitant and reserved and the only time we did actually go for it it was an unorganised farcical attempt with no structure or plan that lasted the length of injury time 

Unacceptable and cowardly 

I understand those who want to get rid of Clarke; equally I get why some think he has credit in the bank and could even learn from this.

But I'll never understand those who think we have no right to expect more from that team.

3 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Shankland has shown absolutely nothing in a Scotland top either.  Even against Gibraltar.  He got lots of time in the games up to the Euro's to stake his place and show what he could do and showed zero.  So after that we just chuck him in anyway?  If anything Conway should have gotten more of a chance.  He's at least playing at a higher level than Shankland and hasn't had the chance to show what he can do with the full NT.

Seconded !

Clarke will no doubt see out his current contract (that’s just how it almost definitely will be) but the fans aren’t going to accept 6 meek and weak performances in the NL.

Poland are in a slump, and Croatia are in a transitional phase. There are points on offer, and it’s perfectly possible that we could play well and still get relegated. I’m totally fine with dropping back down if we pick our battles, show adaptability, and steer into our strengths. 

I never want to watch another Northern Ireland or Hungary-esq performance. To do it again with everything we know would be unforgivable.

Right now - people need to be careful what they wish for, but if Clarke wants us to compete (and indeed remain in the job) then he needs to evolve.

I’m willing to give him that chance because a) he has demonstrated an ability to change and improve; and b) we know the SFA aren’t going to get rid right now; and c) beyond a very ‘samey’ switch to someone like Moyes, there isn’t a brilliant candidate sitting there.

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

The players better than the Hungarian players man for man overall, quite easily.

They gave us the ball for 25 mins and we could do nothing with it

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

They gave us the ball for 25 mins and we could do nothing with it

Uh huh, and that's down to the players? Or the fact they were lined up in an awful cowardly way with no chance of getting up the pitch.

I groaned when I heard the team selection last night, whilst simultaneously knowing that was exactly what Clarke was going to pick. Why persist with a tactic which was based on accommodating Tierney and Robertson when one of them is absent? If one of them is missing it may be a blow, but it's also an excellent opportunity to play them in their natural position, go to a 4 at the back, and consider some other attacking options. But no. The result is we're being totally sussed by whoever we come up against. Hungary were happy to give us the ball last night because they knew we'd do absolutely f*ck all with it.

What's going on? It suggests he has no real confidence in the players to adapt to circumstance, change to a more effective formation etc. If that's the case that lack of confidence surely isn't lost on the players. I've no doubt they were trying to carry out Clarke's instructions as best they could last night, but that kind of makes it worse. They couldn't go at it, they couldn't express themselves, and they were in any case bereft of a system that would allow them to do that.

His tactics have always been a bit one-note, and that was totally fine when they worked. But he's been sussed and he doesn't now how to change it. Time to go.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Uh huh, and that's down to the players? Or the fact they were lined up in an awful cowardly way with no chance of getting up the pitch.

That is all on the fool Clarke and his bloody useless and utterly negative tactics.

6 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

We're the worst team in the tournament 

Wake up 

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

Wake up 🤣🤣 ffs, look at the stats, we're not only the worst. We were record breakingly terrible

Our best player is a defensive midfielder who's gone missing in two tournaments,  because at the real top level,  he's not good enough 

35 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I understand those who want to get rid of Clarke; equally I get why some think he has credit in the bank and could even learn from this.

But I'll never understand those who think we have no right to expect more from that team.

I’m not clarke out, I’d be happy to give him the World Cup if he’s up for it and believes he can get us going again. 

But if in the next week or so he says anything like some of these pundits are saying that we can’t expect any better with the quality of player then he can go and go now. 

Just now, Binos said:

Our best player is a defensive midfielder who's gone missing in two tournaments,  because at the real top level,  he's not good enough 

Who are you referring to? Mcgregor?

Not andy Robertson the premier league winning, champions league winning most assists for a defender in the history of the Premier league?

Mate sorry you don't have a clue about football and have probably had a few drinks. Go to bed, your on ignore.

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Who are you referring to? Mcgregor?

Not andy Robertson the premier league winning, champions league winning most assists for a defender in the history of the Premier league?

Mate sorry you don't have a clue about football and have probably had a few drinks. Go to bed, your on ignore.

I think he's on about Gilmour, he's clueless if so 

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

I think he's on about Gilmour, he's clueless if so 

I don't have a scoob what he's on about.

Grrrr that pesky mcgregor or gilmour. Forcing the team to play 3 centre backs and making them sit deep and pass it side to side. Completely against the bold gregarious steves wishes.

Look at the two lineups for the Irish sides in the Last 16 of the Euros. They’ve got experienced heads we could badly do with at the back, but they’re arguably weaker squads than we have now. ‘Lee Hodson’ and Allan Mannus just some of the bench options available too.

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8212.jpeg