Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

47 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Clarke won’t get us to the World Cup. You need to be a top 16 side in Europe to do that and he has CONSISTENTLY proven an inability to do that. His level is right in that 17-24 bucket and has been for four years how’s an almost incredible lack of progress.

Football fans have this mindset that progress is just a diagonal line that only goes up the way and anything else is total failure.  I think our squad is roughly where we belong with the ability in it.  

It feels like some people believe we should be a top European side despite only really having 3/4 good players to pick from.  

I do think Clarke is too negative but also don't think that with the handbrake off it gets all that much better on the day.  

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

Also, I refuse to believe that man-for-man you'd have Hungary ahead of us on squad talent, so why were we being outplayed by them for large parts of the game?

Gulacsi, Orban, Botka, Schafer, Sallai & Szoboszlai would all start for us.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Gulacsi, Orban, Botka, Schafer, Sallai & Szoboszlai would all start for us.  

People who think Hungary are a collection of lower league footballers that have been weaved into a team that is more than the some of their parts obviously haven't looked through their team that started the game on Sunday night. Someone else said this, but it's the classic case of because you've not heard of them they must be crap. They are on a level with our team, in the same postcode.

Edited by 2426255

On 24/06/2024 at 08:02, Lex said:

As well as he has? He was sacked by West Brom and Reading? He did a good job at Kilmarnock, but that’s not the top level. He has had no success managing at the top level. 

talking about Moyes here. 

I think that was the worst tournament performance Scotland has ever had and also think we were clearly the worst team in the tournament. I dont particularly blame Clarke or the players as its probably the level we are quality wise. The issue is more fundamental as to why with lots of contributing factors.  I do question the tactics that can produce 3 shots on goal over the complete 3 games but whether changing tactics would have just ended up with us being thrashed in all 3 games I dont know. I think its probably time for change but dont remain that hopeful it will improve things much. Bigger change is needed but doubt that comes either.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

22 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

People who think Hungary are a collection of lower league footballers that have been weaved into a team that is more than the some of their parts obviously haven't looked through their team that started the game on Sunday night. Someone else said this, but it's the classic case of because you've not heard of them they must be crap. They are on a level with our team, in the same postcode.

My theory is people think they are rubbish because they don't play in the EPL. We have been that brainwashed that the EPL is the best league in the world that anyone who doesn't play in it must not be top class. 

Even the commentators sound amazed when someone from another league is getting the better of an EPL player...

It's really is laughable. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

My theory is people think they are rubbish because they don't play in the EPL. We have been that brainwashed that the EPL is the best league in the world that anyone who doesn't play in it must not be top class. 

Even the commentators sound amazed when someone from another league is getting the better of an EPL player...

It's really is laughable. 

I see a lot of posters on this board mock the EPL on the #Barclays thread, but they're there weekly to tune into it. I think it's only normal that Scottish players will become hyped in a similar way to English players. We have good players, but the idea that Hungary are a bunch of jobbers that we 'should' be beating is a sour take. 

The Scottish team has improved over the last few years and that's one of the things that comes with success unfortunately: entitlement.

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I see a lot of posters on this board mock the EPL on the #Barclays thread, but they're there weekly to tune into it. I think it's only normal that Scottish players will become hyped in a similar way to English players. We have good players, but the idea that Hungary are a bunch of jobbers that we 'should' be beating is a sour take. 

The Scottish team has improved over the last few years and that's one of the things that comes with success unfortunately: entitlement.

Man for man we have better players than Hungary, it's not really a debate.

If you want to twist that to everyone overrated out players that's fine. But I didn't read anyone saying man for man were better than Germany.

Posted (edited)
Just now, No_Problemo said:

I think our full strength side is better than that of Hungary, but our starting side the other night is pretty similar. 

Agreed. Not enough of a quality difference to say turn it from a coin flip game into a game we should win.

Edited by 2426255

21 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Man for man we have better players than Hungary, it's not really a debate.

I do think it's a debate at least, whether folk agree with it or not. I matched up both sides starting XIs from Sunday and in each position I only see a couple of instances where we had a player that's better/plays for a better club (if Tierney started that would've been 3). McGregor (Celtic) and Styles (Barnsley) at LCM and Robertson (Liverpool) and Kerkez (Bournemouth) at LWB. Even at that Kerkez is a good young player who will probably move again in an upward trajectory.

Edited by CM.

1 minute ago, CM. said:

I do think it's a debate at least, whether folk agree with it or not. I matched up both sides starting XIs from Sunday and in each position I only see a couple of instances where we had a player that's better/plays for a better club. McGregor (Celtic) and Styles (Barnsley) at LCM and Robertson (Liverpool) and Kerkez (Bournemouth) at LWB. Even at that Kerkez is a good young player who will probably move again in an upward trajectory.

OK I would disagree, but even if you think the sides were even it would not excuse not trying to win.

1 hour ago, SH Panda said:

Pretty good chance none of those countries will ever win a world cup again, or come close.

Seriously? That's your argument – along with mass immigration? 

How can you seriously argue that (eg) Croatia – World Cup runners-up six years ago and semi-finalists three times since 1998 – will never come close again? Where's the reasoning there? 

It's a disingenuous angle, too: the post you replied to clearly wasn't just talking about the World Cup, but of course you avoid mentioning the Euros, where Denmark have been at least quarter-finalists on four occasions in the last 40 years, semi-finalists twice, and winners once.

We're underperforming, massively.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

OK I would disagree, but even if you think the sides were even it would not excuse not trying to win.

Was just throwing my 10 pence worth in regarding squad comparison. Agree that we never had enough of a go to win the game.

The difference you see in squads of similar size of populations or similar levels of players that do better than Scotland, is that those squads have players who have gone all over europe and learnt their trade and improved. Until recently our entire Squad was plying its trade in Scotland or England. It was bad luck that 2 players who had gone abroad and improved Hickey and Ferguson were injured. 

I can't believe how easy Clarke has had it in the press.

Reporters should have absolutely went right through him. He should have been asked the difficult questions and called out if he tried to bullshit, be terse or otherwise deflect/avoid. He should have been held accountable to his negative, cowardly bullshit and everything else that went wrong.

There should be far more articles that fucking blast him and go through everything in punishing detail.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

I can't believe how easy Clarke has had it in the press.

Reporters should have absolutely went right through him. He should have been asked the difficult questions and called out if he tried to bullshit, be terse or otherwise deflect/avoid. He should have been held accountable to his negative, cowardly bullshit and everything else that went wrong.

There should be far more articles that fucking blast him and go through everything in punishing detail.

Why? what would that achieve?

2 minutes ago, CM. said:

Was just throwing my 10 pence worth in regarding squad comparison. Agree that we never had enough of a go to win the game.

Well don't!!! Na I'm joking 

It's just a shame really it's ended like this, feel like had had so much more to give.

6 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

We did try to win it. We couldn't break them down.

On 24/06/2024 at 09:17, Ludo*1 said:

It's been touched on, but isn't being mentioned near enough, that post-match interview was genuinely disgraceful and embarrassing. Having a go at the ref for being Argentinian and us not having a European referee and the insinuation that there was no point speaking to him because of that and inferring he couldn't speak English. 

I think that interview alone should be enough for him to be sacked to be honest.