Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

20 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

I wonder if there's ever been a case of supporters wanting a manger out, the manger being sacked and the team improving 🤔 

Surely there can't be as that would negate the proof?

It would if we could establish that at least 51% of all fans everywhere had wanted the manager out.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It would if we could establish that at least 51% of all fans everywhere had wanted the manager out.

I highly doubt that a bed sheet could get painted unless that was the case.

23 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Pace of play. Too slow and allows teams who want to sit 10 men behind the ball time to re group constantly 

Thanks mate. As a coach, what did you do to address this issue if it came up at Arthurlie? What could Steve Clarke have done against Gibraltar to put more speed in the game short of simply telling the players to play faster?

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Thanks mate. As a coach, what did you do to address this issue if it came up at Arthurlie? What could Steve Clarke have done against Gibraltar to put more speed in the game short of simply telling the players to play faster?

Played the Benny Hill tune over the PA.

On 28/07/2024 at 02:54, Chripper said:

Proof that the majority of football fans know shit about football:

Screenshot_20240728_025238_Firefox.jpg

Success for Scotland Is qualification for tournaments. The end.

If you want to win tournaments, support countries whose clubs are serious about youth development.

Just yesterday Aberdeen and Hibs started 5 Scots.

Good luck with competing at the top table when your clubs don't give a flying shit about youth development.

The aforementioned football clubs are the gatekeepers to the Scotland national team.

These clubs don't give a f**k about Scotland.

Have an issue? Stop blaming Clarke (or any future Scotland boss) and point the finger of blame at domestic Scottish clubs.

Go and send the Scottish club you support letters and ask them why they don't give a f**k about Scotland.

Stop chatting shite again.

You clearly have no ambition if you only think qualification is deemed as "success". It may be if we are drawn in a difficult group and played well but narrowly lost out, that's a different story all together but our performances at major tournaments (barring the England game) were pretty dire 

So you are suggesting our top level clubs don't give a crap about our youth teams which is nonsense. Every club would love nothing more than to a have a revolving door of young players coming into the first team, improving the team before eventually selling them on for a profit. It is literally every club's business model in Scotland. If that doesn't work out then the next line of thinking is to scour foreign markets looking for the best young players that haven't been scouted by all of the big money teams then selling them on for a profit. 

The issue is we have a small population and don't have enough youngsters who are capable of playing at a high level hence why teams look outwith Scotland for players in order to compete. 

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Stop chatting shite again.

You clearly have no ambition if you only think qualification is deemed as "success". It may be if we are drawn in a difficult group and played well but narrowly lost out, that's a different story all together but our performances at major tournaments (barring the England game) were pretty dire 

So you are suggesting our top level clubs don't give a crap about our youth teams which is nonsense. Every club would love nothing more than to a have a revolving door of young players coming into the first team, improving the team before eventually selling them on for a profit. It is literally every club's business model in Scotland. If that doesn't work out then the next line of thinking is to scour foreign markets looking for the best young players that haven't been scouted by all of the big money teams then selling them on for a profit. 

The issue is we have a small population and don't have enough youngsters who are capable of playing at a high level hence why teams look outwith Scotland for players in order to compete. 

Denmark have a smaller population ?

11 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Denmark have a smaller population ?

Yeah they are other countries with a similar population size to us that have outperformed Scotland but compared to the likes of England for example, it's a lot harder to find good enough young players in our country is the point I'm trying to make

Denmark are always interesting to compare to Scotland given the similar population sizes (Denmark's is about 500k larger than Scotland's).

Denmark's TV deal for their 12-team top flight is worth 1.5 times the TV deal that covers Scotland's men's Premiership and Championship, and the SWPL (42 teams in total).

Also, every player in Denmark's Euro 24 squad was born in Denmark. Not sure if any other nation had a fully home-born squad, but I'd be surprised if many did.

27 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Denmark are always interesting to compare to Scotland given the similar population sizes (Denmark's is about 500k larger than Scotland's).

Denmark's TV deal for their 12-team top flight is worth 1.5 times the TV deal that covers Scotland's men's Premiership and Championship, and the SWPL (42 teams in total).

Also, every player in Denmark's Euro 24 squad was born in Denmark. Not sure if any other nation had a fully home-born squad, but I'd be surprised if many did.

Ok so in turn clubs have more monet to spend on players and development. 

I might be talking complete bollocks here, but in terms of population has scotland not got one on the highest attendances. As in the percentage of folk who go to games. I'm sure I read this once.

Which kind of makes you think just why is out deal so low.

5 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

I might be talking complete bollocks here, but in terms of population has scotland not got one on the highest attendances. As in the percentage of folk who go to games. I'm sure I read this once.

I think that's true about the per-capita attendance, but it's of course skewed by the two clubs who hoover up most TV money...

Just had a quick check and that Danish TV deal seems to have actually ended at the end of last season, so they may, or may not, have a bigger deal going forward. Our deal is to 2029, ffs. That's embarrassing.

Also, our deal doesn't cover the second division of the SWPL, so it's only for 34 teams. So that's alright then!

My feeling about why the deal is so bad is that there's a vicious circle of skint clubs leading to poor quality football and clubs being forced to sell players for less than they should be worth in order to survive. Thus justifying a lowball deal leading to skint clubs playing poor quality football and so on and so forth. The TV presentation is incredibly low-rent too which I don't think helps. And also, it doesn't really hurt the gruesome twosome domestically so there's no great fan pressure to change things.

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

Denmark have been out performing us for over 40 years

And we've made no attempt to try and learn from their model

Not likely to start now unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Ranana Ban said:

People like going to watch their local team. Nothing there to attract the neutral, why would you watch low quality foreign players running round a pitch just because it is located in Scotland?

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

I think that's true about the per-capita attendance, but it's of course skewed by the two clubs who hoover up most TV money...

Just had a quick check and that Danish TV deal seems to have actually ended at the end of last season, so they may, or may not, have a bigger deal going forward. Our deal is to 2029, ffs. That's embarrassing.

Also, our deal doesn't cover the second division of the SWPL, so it's only for 34 teams. So that's alright then!

My feeling about why the deal is so bad is that there's a vicious circle of skint clubs leading to poor quality football and clubs being forced to sell players for less than they should be worth in order to survive. Thus justifying a lowball deal leading to skint clubs playing poor quality football and so on and so forth. The TV presentation is incredibly low-rent too which I don't think helps. And also, it doesn't really hurt the gruesome twosome domestically so there's no great fan pressure to change things.

Oh, yeah - the big thing I'm forgetting here is that if you're a Scottish football fan subscribing to Sky Sports to see your team, a much, much larger chunk of your monthly subscription is going to English football teams than to Scottish ones. One of the many benefits of our precious union, or something.

Steve Clarke thoroughly embarrassed himself and his team at the Euros.

He showed just how massively behind he is compared to everyone else at the tournament, and made Scotland look the same.

He won't struggle for a role when he leaves Scotland, but he has ensured he's missed out on a higher tier of job.

Also, he's done no favours to SPFL managers. Fans detest shitebag, ineffective football that brings losses anyway, but after suffering through the Euros fans will be far less patient doing the same for their club side this season, and will be on at managers much quicker and forcing the hand of boards much sooner. I have no sympathy for these managers though.

5 hours ago, immcinto said:

People like going to watch their local team. Nothing there to attract the neutral, why would you watch low quality foreign players running round a pitch just because it is located in Scotland?

Not sure, I'd probably watch a fair bit of it 🤷 Suppose they must do in other small countries?

But I wasn't really making any comment on the reasons for it's  appeal. Just that the numbers percentage wise of game attendances suggest a decent level of interest. Arguably well below what it should be comparatively.

Buy at the same time the old firm is probably alot of the interest overall.

Really looking forward to the Nations League (if you want to be the best, you gots to play the best. We're in a higher group than England... thanks Steve Clarke).

As well as the World Cup qualifiers.

Hopefully in the next two years of Steve Clarke's regime a few youngsters can establish themselves (In spite of Scottish not giving a crap) and we can maybe discover a player here or there.

Hoping upon hope that the powers that be force Scottish clubs into limiting overseas players in order to help Clarke and his predecessors. Not holding my breath, though.

I suggest all the naysayers and panty wetters to come join me in funsville.

It's fun.

We have cake.

It's either that or whine and moan and cry for the next x years and wanting Steve Clarke fired... which ain't gonna happen.

(Have a great 2nd half of 2024, y'all. ;) I certainly will.)

Edited by Chripper

53 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

If your actually happy and feel like your winning then be content in yourself.

Constantly trying to convince people of such really just suggests the opposite.

Sounds like someone's not quite 'live, laugh, loving' their way through the summer as much as they're making out.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Sounds like someone's not quite 'live, laugh, loving' their way through the summer as much as they're making out.

Yeah it's a thoughtful offer but I think I'll give "funsville" a body swerve🤣