Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Classifying the likes of Gilmour and McTominay as "SPL/Championship" standard and then deciding not to count players who're injured or didn't play last week (when they've largely been available over Clarke's tenure) in some effort to make it look like Clarke's midas-touched a bunch of donkeys to major tournaments is brain-meltingly moronic and fooling absolutely nobody.

Edited by Gordon EF

45 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Classifying the likes of Gilmour and McTominay as "SPL/Championship" standard and then deciding not to count players who're injured or didn't play last week (when they've largely been available over Clarke's tenure) in some effort to make it look like Clarke's midas-touched a bunch of donkeys to major tournaments is brain-meltingly moronic and fooling absolutely nobody.

Did you miss out on the "barring 4 or 5 players"?

Newsflash, Sherlock, I deem McTominay and Gilmour to be one of the aforementioned "4/5".

Fooling? Oh. You're the screwball who thinks that I'm someone else?

Yeah. The world has 8 billion people. No two people can possibly have the same opinion about one single thing.

Impossible, I tells ya!

I don't give a shit what you think, mate.

This is the first and last time I'm replying to you. All you do is spread venom and display signs of paranoid schizophrenia.

You deserve 0% of my attention and/or time.

Consider this an early Christmas present.

Merry Christmas. ;)

PS: If you have beef with me, take it up over PM. Or you can keep being a cowardly shitbag.

Edited by Chripper

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Newsflash, Sherlock, I deem McTominay and Gilmour to be one of the aforementioned "4/5".

Yeah. The world has 8 billion people. No two people can possibly have the same opinion about one single thing.

Impossible, I tells ya!

This is the first and last time I'm replying to you. All you do is spread venom and display signs of paranoid schizophrenia.

Merry Christmas. ;)

PS: If you have beef with me, take it up over PM. Or you can keep being a cowardly shitbag.

This is absolutely unhinged. 

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This is absolutely unhinged. 

That kind of condescending remark is translation for:

"Damn. I have no retort, so I'll resort to making random remark that's supposed  to psychologically undermine".

Yeah. That kind of thing don't work on me. :)

Tackle the post, not the poster.

To reiterate, PM me and squash it without an audience or continue being a shitbag.

Not holding my breath as you're quite clearly the latter.

Good luck with that. ;)

(This reply is an early/Late Birthday gift. Happy Birthday.)

Edited by Chripper

Anywho.

Enough of trolls and shitbags derailing the topic.

Steve Clarke Is the Scotland manager.

Euro 24 is done and dusted.

/thread.

(Still awaiting the PM, big man)

Edited by Chripper

55 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Impossible, I tells ya!

Merry Christmas. ;)

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

If Clarke had a time machine then I hope he's put it to better use than to get SPL players.

If he had a time machine I hope he’d go back and tell Div not to bother setting up a Tartan Army sub forum.

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If he had a time machine I hope he’d go back and tell Div not to bother setting up a Tartan Army sub forum.

The problem with the forum is there's a few people who seem to have absolutely no understanding of football yet post the most about football.

I can respect others points of views but what I would really like to hear and understand why people would like to stick with clarke. Not making excuses or pretending or somehow actually believing we're doing well.

Our run of results is now absolutely shit, beyond shit.

If people think steve is the guy to fix it then I'd like to hear a decent account of why that faith still exists.

Perhaps my mind can be changed, I don't care who the scotland manager is. Only that we do well. 🤷‍♂️

But it's not going to be by numbers or chripper that's for sure.

So again if your in the keep clarke camp, why?

Edit, or @GordopolisI see your on, your in the stick with steve camp, so why?

Edited by Old Bing

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Lewis Ferguson, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, Hickey, Christie ( in his new role).

Who are the 3 or 4 SPFL/Championship level players in that grouping?

4 hours ago, immcinto said:

Lewis Ferguson, McGinn, Tierney, Robertson, Hickey, Christie ( in his new role).

Who are the 3 or 4 SPFL/Championship level players in that grouping?

Nice. Let's play 6 a side.

In the real world: Gunn, McCrorie, Clark, Ralston, McCrorie, Hanley, Porteous, Souttar, Taylor, Barron, McGinn, McLean, Dykes, Adams, Conway.

The gods themselves do tremble.

If people are legit blaming Steve Clarke for Scotland failing to progress past the first stage of the European Championship then they should remember that 5 times European Cup winning Carlo Ancelotti managed a 10th and a 12th EPL finish with Everton.

If people think if we sack Clarke, appoint Thomas Tuchel, and suddenly Scotland can go toe to toe with teams in major tournaments... they're clearly in lala land.

A certain Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge in the 86 World Cup.

The greatest manager in the history of football (with a vastly greater first XI) managed a draw and 2 defeats.

If P&B was around back then, screwballs would be calling him every name under the sun and calling him to be sacked.

Sound familiar?

Edited by Chripper

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

fooling absolutely nobody

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Says the hardnut who follows me around giving me downvotes.

How about taking it into PM? But audiences are fun, aren't they? Bullies like them. :)

*Insert phrase about "free rent" and "heads" here.*

Edited by Chripper

On 15/08/2024 at 12:14, 2426255 said:

We under-achieved because we didn't over-achieve.

Are you Donald Trump's female spokesperson:;  We have some alternative truths''. We were absolutely rank rotten at Euro 24. 

Many thanks for alleviating my insomnia with your repetitive, boring pish. 

I'm sure, I'll get another two hours kip in before the alarm kicks in.

Many thanks for that, matey.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Says the hardnut who follows me around giving me downvotes.

How about taking it into PM? But audiences are fun, aren't they? Bullies like them. :)

*Insert phrase about "free rent" and "heads" here.*

Are you actually offering folk on the internet out for a fight because you love Clarke so much and can't take any criticism of him?

Also, bullying?! You're a f**king moron.

6 hours ago, Chripper said:

Nice. Let's play 6 a side.

How many countries have 11 EPL standard players? About 14 or 15 max. 

I'll tell you who doesn't, Hungary. They have 1, or 2 if you count that guy at Bournemouth. I'll save you the bother of typing , there's no need to claim that Szoboszlai is some kind of Messi figure that we just can't expect to compete against when he's is in a team.

17 hours ago, Chripper said:

What's to address?

The squad is, barring 4 or 5 players, SPL/English Championship standard.

As it stands, two of our best players (Gilmour and McTominay) are bench warmers for their clubs. Not to mention Tierney, who is made of a breadstick.

Personally, I want a manager who is able to take our waifs and strays and gel them into a team who is capable of successfully qualifying.

Clarke has done that. Therefore, he deserves to be the one to call it a day.

He, or the SFA certainly don't owe anyone an apology and/or explanation.

Will Brendan Rodgers or the Celtic board give the Celtic fans an apology and/or explanation when  they inevitably fail to lay a glove on the three teams in their European Cup first group stage?

No.

Will the Celtic fans be calling for the head of Brendan Rodgers when they inevitably fail to lay a glove on the three teams in their European Cup first group stage?

Only the incredibly spoilt and entitled ones.

it's only the incredibly spoilt and entitled Scotland fans who want Steve Clarke to leave.

Thankfully, that seems to be the minority. The majority lived through the two decades of doom and can appreciate what Steve Clarke has done.

A part of me kinda wants Steve Clarke to leave and then seeing the next guy fail to qualify for his campaign(s).

I'll be there with a "I told you so" and with select pages of this thread all loaded.

Might have to wait till he leaves of his own according, first.

The aforementioned will happen, though. So, I'd say to the Clarke outers. Enjoy qualifying will it lasts.

I certainly am. :)

PS: It won't last. The next manager will probably be Stewart Baxter (if he isn't a myth) or Billy Stark).

PPS: I'm not sitting in Shiva over Euro 24. It's over.

It's amusing that this is coming from the guy who also posted about him expecting to win the Euros with a team of championship players.

On 17/05/2024 at 22:31, Chripper said:

None of the above.

(I voted later stages of the tournament)

I expect us to win Euro 24.

If any of the players don't genuinely believe they can win the entire thing, they shouldn't be on the plane to Germany.

If Greece can do it...

On 17/05/2024 at 23:06, Chripper said:

Plus, I would fully expect Steve Clarke to be saying that to the players.

The players are going there to compete. It's not a holiday.

Leicester City were 5000-1 to win the EPL.

Greece were 150-1 to win. Scotland are 125-1.

Being mocked for expecting Scotland to achieve . Yeah. Well. Guess that's why we're still owned by England.

"Ridicule is the tribute given to the genius by the mediocrities" ~ Oscar Wilde

Edited by Butters Scotch

22 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Robertson playing as either a LB/LWB will invariably get forward, it's one of our main attacking threats so he has to get forward at any opportunity if we are to play to our strengths. 

Would Robertson have less opportunity to provide attacking threat if he was playing as a left-back? For Liverpool it's not as important given the quality of their players in every position, but ideally for Scotland perhaps you want Robertson playing in areas close to the zones where we can put his attacking strengths to good use. We never got him into those areas enough against Hungary for whatever reason so that's a different issue, but the idea that you don't really want him in deeper positions is understandable.

It doesn't matter who the opposition are Clarke hasn't demonstrated any preference for playing Robertson as a left-back. He'll play Taylor there or Tierney there, but not Robertson. Why is that?

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Would Robertson have less opportunity to provide attacking threat if he was playing as a left-back? For Liverpool it's not as important given the quality of their players in every position, but ideally for Scotland perhaps you want Robertson playing in areas close to the zones where we can put his attacking strengths to good use. We never got him into those areas enough against Hungary for whatever reason so that's a different issue, but the idea that you don't really want him in deeper positions is understandable.

It doesn't matter who the opposition are Clarke hasn't demonstrated any preference for playing Robertson as a left-back. He'll play Taylor there or Tierney there, but not Robertson. Why is that?

Running from deep from a LB/LWB position is what Robertson excels in as he isn't fantastic at dribbling past players in tight spaces like a proper winger would look to do and I certainly don't think he is best suited as a LM/LW. I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about here when you say he doesn't play Robertson LB, he does get played here but that doesn't mean he doesn't get forward either. 

In the Hungary game, If he was unable to get forward then that's probably more to do with the players up ahead of him not being able to contain the ball due to a lack of options around them making little give and go's. It was very congested in the middle of the park yet we were trying to play through the centre at every opportunity. This is where Clarke failed for me, he could of tried going more direct, stick on wingers earlier etc to stretch the Hungary defence more.