Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

To be fair we played with a back-4 against Georgia and played precisely that midfield that you wanted. We played well enough, but needed Shankland to score a last minute equaliser. It might look good on paper, but that doesn't mean anything as we all are well aware. It's not a silver bullet.

Hide contents

image.png.0eb86d81299fc8723a726fdb0b68625d.png

IIRC our defence was not that good that night !

So the back 4 was not a success !

5 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

IIRC our defence was not that good that night !

So the back 4 was not a success !

That’s like saying the defence has been shit for a while so the back 5 was not a success and shouldn’t be played - lost 2 goals away to Georgia with the 4

Lost 5, 4 a couple of times, 3 at home to Norway, 2 at home to Finland and 1 at home to Northern Ireland in that time with the 5 so 2 is probably par for the course given the fixture

Cannot just completely rule it out. Also no KT or Robertson the best defenders we’ve got that night, or Hickey who’s probably the next best 

We have surely got to attempt to have a tried and tested way of changing it up 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

20 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Gauld scores twice for Vancouver today. Clarke must condem

If Morgan can get called up out the blue Gauld should have been considered for the squad also

It will be interesting to see whether Morgan and / or Forrest get any game time

They will have been training

4 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

If Morgan can get called up out the blue Gauld should have been considered for the squad also

Morgan was called up to replace the injured Ben Doak. Gauld is competing with a different position entirely so it’s not really comparable. 

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

I get some are frustrated at Clarke's perceived inflexibility. We have switched to a back 4 in previous games too, but not so much in the friendlies.

I don't think a new manager comes in and does anything different. It's no coincidence that the big failures of this system have been Ukraine a couple of years back and Friday night. Our key players have been overplayed or aren't fit. We don't have the strength in depth to account for that. 

There's the chat about loyalty too which is disproved by the fact that he has dropped guys who aren't in form. There isn't anyone who has been left out that you would argue should be playing. 

Nah, I don't like the result on Friday, and the friendlies have been shite, but I fail to see what another manager would do with these players.

With regards to another manager. My first hope would be they can send out the team for big games without looking like they just witnessed a murder and football was the furtherest thing from their minds.

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’s like saying the defence has been shit for a while so the back 5 was not a success and shouldn’t be played - lost 2 goals away to Georgia with the 4

Lost 5, 4 a couple of times, 3 at home to Norway, 2 at home to Finland and 1 at home to Northern Ireland in that time with the 5 so 2 is probably par for the course given the fixture

Cannot just completely rule it out. Also no KT or Robertson the best defenders we’ve got that night, or Hickey who’s probably the next best 

Yes

Sorry , I am not sure if Morgan  and / or Forrest are the men to do it ( these days )

13 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Morgan was called up to replace the injured Ben Doak. Gauld is competing with a different position entirely so it’s not really comparable. 

I was thinking more of ( Gauld being ) a creative player who could change things 

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

They were " soft " goals we lost to the Georgians 

14 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

With regards to another manager. My first hope would be they can send out the team for big games without looking like they just witnessed a murder and football was the furtherest thing from their minds.

A bit premature to be discussing a new manager. I believe you made the same mistake before in the past when you were quite keen on Slaven Bilic and Marcelo Bielsa. That must have been a bitter blow to you. You'll be keen for it to finally happen. Make sure that Champagne is nice and chilled, you'll be wanting to get everything right for the big moment.

image.thumb.png.23c6e34a8ff17f32163fd771796f6dd1.png

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/268036-time-to-go-steve-clarke/page/74/

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

A bit premature to be discussing a new manager. I believe you made the same mistake before in the past when you were quite keen on Slaven Bilic and Marcelo Bielsa. That must have been a bitter blow to you. You must be keen for it to finally happen.

image.thumb.png.23c6e34a8ff17f32163fd771796f6dd1.png

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/268036-time-to-go-steve-clarke/page/74/

That's a great post I've made there, thanks for bringing it up.

Would be fair to say either of those coaches would have done better on Friday.

12 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

That's a great post I've made there, thanks for bringing it up.

Would be fair to say either of those coaches would have done better on Friday.

Why do you hate Steve Clarke so much is what I'm looking for an answer for? You've been on his case for years now. Has it been something personal? I actually have it on record that you just wanted to be seen as being in the right on the TA board over the manager issue, but it can't be that. I don't think it's that. Is it?

I just want to know where this is all coming from, that's all. You've been tirelessly campaigning for him to go for years now and pretending you're hoping he turns things around. Come on, stop trying to kid us all on. Just be honest with us.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Why do you hate Steve Clarke so much is what I'm looking for an answer for? You've been on his case for years now. Has it been something personal? I actually have it on record that you just wanted to be seen as being in the right on the TA board over the manager issue, but it can't be that. I don't think it's that. Is it?

I just want to know where this is all coming from, that's all. You've been tirelessly campaigning for him to go for years now and pretending you're hoping he turns things around. Come on, stop trying to kid us all on. Just be honest with us.

Well the answer is again I don't. I don't know him other than media interviews so have no personal opinion on him at all. I've been a big supporter of steve clarke for a long time. 

That's the last  I'll speak on this. Let's just concentrate on the next match and hope scotland can do it.

11 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

That's the last  I'll speak on this. Let's just concentrate on the next match and hope scotland can do it.

Fair enough. I'll take that at face value. Enjoy your evening.

7 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Ryan Gauld now scored 5 goals and had 2 assists In his previous 4 MLS appearances.

Get him in the Euros squad. Let's have a wee look see.

I have a niggling feeling that Clarke will cut his contract short if we finish the group with zero points.

I would take David Moyes, but it think he'll be West Ham manager for the 3rd time midway through next season when they fire their new manager and come to the realisation that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I have a niggling feeling that Clarke will cut his contract short if we finish the group with zero points.

I know you're just having fun, but you were certain Gilmour would start against Germany. "you don't leave out your best players" You also had a feeling Clarke would do something out the box against Germany. "watch this space", "hatching a secret tactical plan" Not having a go, just saying.

I suppose it could be argued what we saw on Friday was out the box, but you get what I mean.

Edited by 2426255