Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

4 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Exactly that. There’s a difference between having the ball and being in control of the game. Hungary controlled the game by letting us have the ball in our completely ineffectual manner and then creating the odd chance on the break. 

The fact we could barely muster a shot or even a decent attacking move proves this conclusively.

On 29/06/2024 at 11:56, Bing.McCrosby said:

Look man none of this is landing.

Ok you've praised everything steve clarke has done for years. And now he's made you look very silly, but you need to just let it go.

Why there's even a debate I don't know. How many self inflicted disasters at tourneys does he get?

Unforgiveable from Clark and his shower

36 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

The fact we could barely muster a shot or even a decent attacking move proves this conclusively.

Two completed balls into their box before the crazy last 10 minutes, I think. That's it.

I'm sure there were Spanish apologists saying that they played OK against us at Hampden because they had lots of the ball. Completely ignoring the fact that they did nothing with it and we were completely happy to let them keep the ball in front of us and wait for opportunities. Exactly what Hungary did to us.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Two completed balls into their box before the crazy last 10 minutes, I think. That's it.

I'm sure there were Spanish apologists saying that they played OK against us at Hampden because they had lots of the ball. Completely ignoring the fact that they did nothing with it and we were completely happy to let them keep the ball in front of us and wait for opportunities. Exactly what Hungary did to us.

That Spain at home game, they had a number of good opportunities to score and we rode our luck at times, not sure what you were watching

25 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

That Spain at home game, they had a number of good opportunities to score and we rode our luck at times, not sure what you were watching

How many chances did they create where you'd actually expect them to score from?

49 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I may be wrong but I'd be surprised if anyone is Spain would be saying they did OK 🤣 Their used to a pretty high standard.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

It was more Hungary controlling the game when out of possession for me,

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

There’s a difference between having the ball and being in control of the game. 

I agree with that. I meant our possession was controlled in the sense we were patiently trying to work the ball and not forcing the play rather than us controlling the game.

We got into 2 or 3 great positions. Hungary defended them well: One in particular where McGregor made the final cross, but it was blocked with 3 Scotland players (unmarked iirc) waiting for the ball to land on the 6 yard line.

Edited by 2426255

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There'll be a 'numeros' somewhere.

I think other managers in particular  who have been on the receiving end are more sympathetic.

Moyes for example at West Ham was not sticking the boot in on TV. Nagelsmann stated he doesn't judge other managers. Same in Spain no doubt.

So the people who work in the game will have sympathy, but the customers won't: "This is unacceptable, not what i ordered - I want a refund". 

Edited by 2426255

58 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

How many chances did they create where you'd actually expect them to score from?

Without going back to the highlights, I remember feeling pretty edgy at several chances they didn't bury, one of them being a joselu header

41 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I agree with that. I meant our possession was controlled in the sense we were patiently trying to work the ball and not forcing the play rather than us controlling the game.

We got into 2 or 3 great positions. Hungary defended them well: One in particular where McGregor made the final cross, but it was blocked with 3 Scotland players (unmarked iirc) waiting for the ball to land on the 6 yard line.

Your mum can get in 2 or 3 great positions

14 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Without going back to the highlights, I remember feeling pretty edgy at several chances they didn't bury, one of them being a joselu header

I was shitting bricks during the game. Watching the highlights back though, it's shocking how few decent chances Spain actually created. their best chance was probably Joselu's header that hit the bar. He was stretching for it, it hit the bar and Gunn had it completely covered. It was a decrnt chance, not great.

I really don't think they had many, or any others. There were a few headers that were either off target or Gunn had easily covered and one or two long shots.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I was shitting bricks during the game. Watching the highlights back though, it's shocking how few decent chances Spain actually created. their best chance was probably Joselu's header that hit the bar. He was stretching for it, it hit the bar and Gunn had it completely covered. It was a decrnt chance, not great.

I really don't think they had many, or any others. There were a few headers that were either off target or Gunn had easily covered and one or two long shots.

Yeah you may be right but they had plenty of possession in dangerous against us, always probing, they didn't quite get it right on the day but it was night and day compared to how we were at the euros where the looked threatening but we could barely get a shot at goal. 

Just now, Butters Scotch said:

Yeah you may be right but they had plenty of possession in dangerous against us, always probing, they didn't quite get it right on the day but it was night and day compared to how we were at the euros where the looked threatening but we could barely get a shot at goal. 

Yeah. I'm not saying we performed like that Spain team did. I'm just saying that sometimes a team who look comfortable passing it around completely in front of the opposition means very little.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think other managers in particular  who have been on the receiving end are more sympathetic.

Moyes for example at West Ham was not sticking the boot in on TV. Nagelsmann stated he doesn't judge other managers. Same in Spain no doubt.

So the people who work in the game will have sympathy, but the customers won't: "This is unacceptable, not what i ordered - I want a refund". 

The Hungary games was bad

It seemed as though Gilmour was always back to take the ball of the back three , when at least one of those , eg Hendry , should have been bringing it forward himself

Or we could have played 4 2 3 1

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Haaaaahaaa yeah that's the one man, that 2 second clip 🤣🤣

You could take a 2 second clip from any match and it could prove just about any formation🤣

And it still doesn't explain the fact we are playing with an additional CB