Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I sympathise with the Steve Clarke supporters. 

I feel u miss a few points though.The shambles at 2021. The fact that qualifying for a 24 team tourney is a damn sight easier than for one with 8. See Sweden. The ineptitude in the WC playoff

Injuries didn't help nor did the players or the refs. We created sweet fa against suspect defences.

Stevie doesn't change anything even if my dog knows it needs to.

A better squad on paper than many who went further

Terrible management lack of intensity poor form and clueless tactics resulted in this debacle just like 2021.

Still angry

51 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We guarded against counter-attacks using 2, 3 or 4 players - mostly 3, but not always. Normally the 3 CB's in open play, but sometimes a central midfielder or wing back. 

If we normally have a rear guard of 3 players then what's the issue with having 3 centre-backs?

When Tierney plays there is still someone covering the gap he's left when stepping out of defence (often McGregor, but again not always). 

If you want Robertson to play in an advanced position that's another reason. So that's two possible reasons to play 3CB's.

We have been through this before.

It's alright though, you clearly don't have a good understanding of football.

Edited by Butters Scotch

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Screenshot_20240704_161455_Reddit.thumb.jpg.4c2653802894b898f757ddcffce480f3.jpg

That's an interesting (and depressing) map, but while we were poor in the last Euros and pathetic in these ones, the map for "Reached Last 8 in Euros or WCs" (which we did in 92, when we came 5th) would look a bit better - as would # of qualifications for finals in the past 50 years despite our drought from 98-20.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Screenshot_20240704_161455_Reddit.thumb.jpg.4c2653802894b898f757ddcffce480f3.jpg

Worse than us. Take away countries that aren't European,  you're left with 

Estonia,  Latvia,  Belarus,  Moldova,  Montenegro,  Kosovan, Cyprus,  Luxembourg 

Take away countries that only recently have existed,  you're left with 

Cyprus,  Luxembourg 

Edited by Binos

9 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

tbh nobody apart from Scotland supporters really care or are aware of the record....

Are, I was always aware that Wales hadn't qualified for 50 years,  until they duly did so

I'm aware Norway have a long bad run from 98

Others must have clocked that we can't get beyond a group stage 

8 hours ago, Pocketman said:

tbh nobody apart from Scotland supporters really care or are aware of the record....

Opposition supporters will be made aware when their local commentator mentions some fascinating stats about the Scotland manager, including that he has lead the team to two consecutive finals, bombed out of both in last place yet he is still in charge.

10 hours ago, Binos said:

Are, I was always aware that Wales hadn't qualified for 50 years,  until they duly did so

I'm aware Norway have a long bad run from 98

Others must have clocked that we can't get beyond a group stage 

big difference between that and being a 'laughing stock'. This is also trotted out when the Scot Prem splits (like the Swiss league) or something tinpot happens - as if millions of football fans worldwide are alerted to what is happening in Scotland through their auto notifications and fall about laughing at their feeds. 

1 hour ago, immcinto said:

Opposition supporters will be made aware when their local commentator mentions some fascinating stats about the Scotland manager, including that he has lead the team to two consecutive finals, bombed out of both in last place yet he is still in charge.

yes, similar to what we do - collectively as a fan base we do our research on the opposition and then when we pull our data together and analyse patterns, we pish ourselves laughing at their ineptitude and their tournament record. 

As said, no one ouwith Scotland gives a flying feck. The extent to which it is highlighted is largely through England fans where in between singing about WW2, tell us we get battered everywhere we go. Stinging stuff. 

Edited by Pocketman

3 hours ago, Pocketman said:

yes, similar to what we do - collectively as a fan base we do our research on the opposition and then when we pull our data together and analyse patterns, we pish ourselves laughing at their ineptitude and their tournament record. 

Not what I said at all. Commentators mention various stats all the time about the opposition team, that's a (tedious) part of their remit. Persisting with with a serial tournament bottler would be one of the more interesting facts to trot out during the game.  

5 hours ago, Pocketman said:

big difference between that and being a 'laughing stock'. This is also trotted out when the Scot Prem splits (like the Swiss league) or something tinpot happens - as if millions of football fans worldwide are alerted to what is happening in Scotland through their auto notifications and fall about laughing at their feeds. 

As said, no one ouwith Scotland gives a flying feck. The extent to which it is highlighted is largely through England fans where in between singing about WW2, tell us we get battered everywhere we go. Stinging stuff. 

Are you aware Switzerland have qualified for 6 knockout stages in a row

I heard it on the telly the other day