Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

21 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Is Roberto Martinez a reasonable goal for next manager.

He has Scottish connections and with Portugal just being eliminated may be up for a change of scenery 

He always striked me as bit of a fraud, did well earlier in his career but couldn't do anything with the Belgium golden generation etc

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

Is Roberto Martinez a reasonable goal for next manager.

He has Scottish connections and with Portugal just being eliminated may be up for a change of scenery 

A fortnight in Motherwell?

Martinez has consistently failed upwards and has no apparent managerial ability. He started Ronaldo in every game so also strikes me as a toom tabard VL.

It was merely a suggestion 

We do need to look beyond Scottish managers if we want to freshen things up. I know the real problem is player development and getting enough up to elite level, but that in a country that fills its leagues with foreign journeymen is a much deeper problem to solve

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

We do need to look beyond Scottish managers if we want to freshen things up. I know the real problem is player development and getting enough up to elite level, but that in a country that fills its leagues with foreign journeymen is a much deeper problem to solve

Because his wife is from Motherwell!

Do you think that might put him further up the list for a hoose in Wishay?

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Because his wife is from Motherwell!

Do you think that might put him further up the list for a hoose in Wishay?

Not sure that would be a motive 

My youngest daughter’s born in Wishae, but I’m no closer to that dream move 😎

14 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think @Butters Scotchshould throw his hat in the ring for the managers gig.

He always seems to know what Clarke should have done. 

Well that's just in your own head. 

Think you're the only guy on here along with your wee pal Chripper/SlayerX that couldn't see what the problems were with our recent form under Clarke. 

Martinez seems like he'd be an incredibly expensive option, and not one I'd be convinced would be a good one.  He does have international experience, and it would at least show that the SFA are casting a wider net.  But I don't see him as being the sort of guy to mould a less talented side into playing as a unit, and with how he's dealt with Portugal at this tournament, he doesn't seem like the disciplinarian type that would be needed on the occasions where our players are absolutely shite.  

37 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think @Butters Scotchshould throw his hat in the ring for the managers gig.

He always seems to know what Clarke should have done. 

Hanley hit the post via Switzerland. Ralston laid the Switzerland equaliser on a plate. The ref ruled out a stonewall penalty against Hungary.

It's baffling that some people think that all of the aforementioned is Steve Clarke's fault.

Why not just go the whole hog and blame Steve Clarke for Labour winning the General Election in Scotland.

Psst! I heard that Steve Clarke was to blame for COVID.

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Hanley hit the post via Switzerland. Ralston laid the Switzerland equaliser on a plate. The ref ruled out a stonewall penalty against Hungary.

It's baffling that some people think that all of the aforementioned is Steve Clarke's fault.

Why not just go the whole hog and blame Steve Clarke for Labour winning the General Election in Scotland.

Psst! I heard that Steve Clarke was to blame for COVID.

Wtf are you on about this time? You're basing the whole tournament on a few isolated incidents and forgetting the rest, it's laughable really. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Two out of three etc !

You can't legislate for a mistake of a player.

Robertson set up Bellingham's goal in the recent friendly vs Scotland by making a mistake. Are you going to say that Clarke made a mistake by picking Robertson?

Once a player steps beyond that white line it's 100% on him/her.

You can just as much blame a manager for their player making an error that leads to a goal against their team as you can praise a manager for one of their players scoring a thirty yard thunderbolt into the top corner.

Edited by Chripper

11 hours ago, MarkoP said:

I agree with looking beyond Scottish managers, but I don't understand why they need a connection to Scottish football. There are no top class British coaches, never mind Scottish, and there hasn't been for over thirty years. Almost all our players have foreign coaches, they will  be used to 21st century ideas. I wonder if part of our problem in tournaments is due to the drop in coaching standards they are subjected to for a prolonged period. During qualifying they are bringing in the standards they have at club level - 10 days isn't long enough to knock it out of them.

Posted (edited)

On the topic of managers that are way too good to be managing Scotland, I always wonder this as a general point about club managers as well.

You never really get any great world class managers who decide they want a bit of a challenge and decide to try and manage a much smaller club (football manager style)

Now whilst the main reasons are obvious, I would have thought we might see the odd or two here and there who aren't arsed about money as they have plenty but just want the challenge of a cold Tuesday night up at Elgin. 

You see the odd ex international footballer here and there play non league but perhaps that's because the retirement age of a footballer is much younger than that of a manager. 

Even on a much smaller local level here in Scotland, I'm surprised you don't see things like Alex McLeish managing Edinburgh Uni and shit like that

Edited by Quentin Taranbino