LINLITHGOW ROSE 23/24

GorgieRose

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Genuine question for the Rose fans.   How are you finding life in the Lowland League ?

I think the word is hard! 

We miss Stowe, I think he’d have scored a barrow load so far as he’s relentless and unreal especially at the start of the season. We were a lot more direct with him which forced teams into the back foot and I think we’d have a good few point more if he was still here.

We haven’t had Gary Thom and Liam Alison fit at CB. That’s affecting our midfield with Skinner and Allan covering at the back (and imo where the red cards have come from).

Our full backs haven’t been fully fit and they are massive threats when they are.

Like fuzz says I’d like to see us have this 11 on the park as we’d do well but we haven’t managed to get them all fit.

Binnie, McMullan, Skinner and Paterson I think are the only ones below who have been available most of the season.

Binnie

McPherson Thom Alison Thomson

McMullan Skinner Ogilvie

Paterson Sneddon Heaver

In the EOS there were enough games we’d win with any team from the squad so we could rest players. Can’t do that at this level as every game is a test.

I think if we are honest we have some players who would walk into any team in the EOS but have this season to prove they can improve enough to warrant a new contract at LL level. I think we’ll go through a bit of a transition in the summer but have the squad to finish top 6. Maybe higher if we get everyone back fit and drop out the cups (I can’t see us being able to fight on all fronts).

On 21/10/2023 at 09:13, Deanburn Dave said:

Genuine question for the Rose fans.   How are you finding life in the Lowland League ?

It's a strange as many games are against teams we have no history against. As such, many games lack atmosphere.

Standard is mixed and agree with Fuzzy Broomhill away has been the only game where we didn't look competitive.

Injuries have been a real issue and probably our biggest issue.

At present it feels like a league that won't be really good for 5 or 6 years until we see more of the stronger teams from EoS / WoS arrive.

12 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

It's a strange as many games are against teams we have no history against. As such, many games lack atmosphere.

Standard is mixed and agree with Fuzzy Broomhill away has been the only game where we didn't look competitive.

Injuries have been a real issue and probably our biggest issue.

At present it feels like a league that won't be really good for 5 or 6 years until we see more of the stronger teams from EoS / WoS arrive.

You make it sound like gala fairydean and cumbernauld colts will go soon they will go nowhere soon. You're more likely to lose shire who would probably be one of your better crowds from the non ex juniors to a linlithgow game. 

Do you have a history of playing darvel? 

Some of these comments sound like the good ole boys who can't accept change they've no history is absolute nonsense 

2 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Sean McKirdy has left the club. Very strange signing as been nowhere near fit since he arrived.

Did wonder if he'd stick it. He's a class act but is super busy with his business which was the reason he left Kelty. A shame as if he could get fit he'd walk into any LL team.

On 23/10/2023 at 10:00, searchers1963 said:

You make it sound like gala fairydean and cumbernauld colts will go soon they will go nowhere soon. You're more likely to lose shire who would probably be one of your better crowds from the non ex juniors to a linlithgow game. 

Do you have a history of playing darvel? 

Some of these comments sound like the good ole boys who can't accept change they've no history is absolute nonsense 

Who mentioned either Gala or Cumbernauld?

The point is the original LL was joined by application not ability.  As such, only recently has the standards improved.

I think most people realise that there are teams sitting in both WoS and EoS who would add much to the overall standard.

But with 3 feeder leagues and only 1 relegation spot, that change won't occur overnight. 

When Lowland League was first mooted, any Club whatsoever could have applied. Lots of those who did were accepted as far as I know, some were not. There was no " ability " criteria to meet so that is a false argument. Also when LL was being expanded, again open to any Club to apply.  Some were accepted,  some not. 

The fact that it took nearly a decade for those who chose not to apply or engage seriously with the Pyramid ( which of course is absolutely their right) is not at the door of those who did.

The history of where the LL came from ,where it is  now, in fits and starts is well documented.  The old saying is totally relevant, you can only play what's in front of you.

On 25/10/2023 at 19:30, ekok said:

When Lowland League was first mooted, any Club whatsoever could have applied. Lots of those who did were accepted as far as I know, some were not. There was no " ability " criteria to meet so that is a false argument. Also when LL was being expanded, again open to any Club to apply.  Some were accepted,  some not. 

The fact that it took nearly a decade for those who chose not to apply or engage seriously with the Pyramid ( which of course is absolutely their right) is not at the door of those who did.

The history of where the LL came from ,where it is  now, in fits and starts is well documented.  The old saying is totally relevant, you can only play what's in front of you.

Wee bit more to it than that.

One man and one man alone held sway in the SJFA.

He kept the Juniors out of the pyramid to save his little financial empire. It's always about the money. I remember this chancer at meetings talking about 100K toilet blocks.

Respect to Kelty Hearts who kicked the ball into touch.

The rest is history.

On 25/10/2023 at 20:30, ekok said:

When Lowland League was first mooted, any Club whatsoever could have applied...

...but it was a lot easier for some to do so when they had no geriatric fanbase to explain it to at club AGMs. None of this should matter now though. The pyramid belongs equally to all clubs who participate in it. Pro/rel between all tiers should be opened up so a minimum of at least three clubs being relegated every season from 16 club divisions is the norm. The LL has way too many meaningless games and that hurts the level of fan interest.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but it was a lot easier for some to do so when they had no geriatric fanbase to explain it to at club AGMs. None of this should matter now though. The pyramid belongs equally to all clubs who participate in it. Pro/rel between all tiers should be opened up so a minimum of at least three clubs being relegated every season from 16 club divisions is the norm. The LL has way too many meaningless games and that hurts the level of fan interest.

Also great when you're Broomhill and have a pal in the SFA coaching you all the way through the process.

Decided to take in rose 🌹 game last night, this was to be the 5th time I've seen rose this season, and I hate to say it, but that was the worst I've ever seen them . Totally clueless all over park fingers crossed they can turn it around but way it's looking is. Small fish in a big pond, where as it was. Big fish in a small pond last season

From the highlights we had a couple of great chances at 1-0 then the red card killed our chances.

Struggling with injuries just now but it’ll come good. None of this small fish nonsense. We’ve got the largest Fanbase in this league by a distance and once we get used to it we’ll challenge!

hail the gallant 🌹 

25 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

From the highlights we had a couple of great chances at 1-0 then the red card killed our chances.

Struggling with injuries just now but it’ll come good. None of this small fish nonsense. We’ve got the largest Fanbase in this league by a distance and once we get used to it we’ll challenge!

hail the gallant 🌹 

When we are struggling with injuries stupid red cards like we have seen recently - Cammy, Jamie and Greg- need to be cut out. Suspensions on top of 8 injured will see me getting a game.

35 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

whats basically being said is the players who are playing in the place of the injured players aren't good enough. As someone mentioned earlier get away with it at EoS level but not LL. Need to have as close as possible to strongest XI each week to be up there.

More to do with guys covering positions that not comfy playing at. Due to players being injured.

2 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

whats basically being said is the players who are playing in the place of the injured players aren't good enough. As someone mentioned earlier get away with it at EoS level but not LL. Need to have as close as possible to strongest XI each week to be up there.

That gives the impression the Rose are struggling badly. Apart from 2 games they have shown they can compete well. Still in with a chance of a top 4 finish in their 1st season. Yes, things could be better but it is not the doom and gloom that some are suggesting.

3 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

Consistency is key to success.  That comes with ability to pick strongest starting 11.

Unfortunately our injury situation alongside suspensions has meant we are asking available players to fill positions not natural to them.

At times you will get away with this for a few games but eventually you will come up against opponents who take advantage.

My concern is why we are constantly picking up niggling injuries - many aren't from tackles - that's the real problem we need to resolve.