The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

@Ian Mcleod I didn't say that the squad was stacked, I said that the striker and particularly the midfield positions are which makes the squad look a bit unbalanced given we only have one natural wide player. 

We have six senior central midfielders, Newbury who impressed there at Dumbarton last season, Latona who's a good prospect and we're looking to bring in another. I'm fine with the likes of Barjonas and MacDonald being squad players, but I'm just struggling to see how it all fits together if we do sign another midfielder. 

I already went over the whole "creative midfielder" stuff in January so not gonna bother doing it again. 

Fair enough looking back at your message I did  misread it a bit. Don't think we're stacked with strikers though we have 3 currently with Henderson who can cover as well think most teams in the league will have 3/4 strikers. We have 3 natural wide players in Henderson, Murray and Bradley depending on the formation Rankin goes with we may need another left sided winger to give Henderson competition or someone to start over Henderson. 

With the midfielders I would expect Newbury to go back out on loan, with Latona I can remember at the end of last season there was a Lanarkshire Live article which said they were a few teams down South interested as well as  a team from Holland so will be interesting to see what happens there. The only real attacking minded midfielders we have currently is Barjonas and Williamson and for me neither of them are Championship standard. 

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McInroy is likely pricing himself out of a move. I don’t think he’s quite as good as he believes he is. 

Be interesting to see who he does sign for if he was going to get a contract at Partick I would have thought he would have signed by now. I can't see him going to the premiership however with the players St Johnstone have been signing it wouldn't shock me if he went there. So unless he goes to Raith or St Johnstone he could really end up at any championship team.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McInroy is likely pricing himself out of a move. I don’t think he’s quite as good as he believes he is. 

Tom Sparrow managed to get a move to Motherwell after stinking the gaff out for us for 6 months in our worst season this century. After that I'd be optimistic too. 

Better today however again started really poorly Williamson having to come off with a knock for Bradley is what changed the game really like the look of Bradley so far he's impressed me the most in both games so far and I have a feeling that he might be one of our standouts this season. Although the concern of the lack of creativity in midfield and lack of pace in defence remain Hendrie was really poor in the first half and was no surprise that he was hooked off at HT I might be wrong here however think that's the first time ever Rankin's hooked one of the more experienced players off at HT non injury related which probably says everything would be massively concerned if Longridge is not back in time for the league starting or if he was to pick up another injury if it was to mean that Hendrie would be starting. Henderson scored an excellent goal and the fans were also really good today overall a good day but still improvement required. 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

15 hours ago, Moonball said:

Very good highlights package. Hopefully Ben is working on doing something for us along these lines. 

Also our defence doesn't look great here. Better teams (no offence to Stranraer but they were the worst team in the SPFL last season) will definitely punish us if we're that open against them. 

10 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Very good highlights package. Hopefully Ben is working on doing something for us along these lines. 

Also our defence doesn't look great here. Better teams (no offence to Stranraer but they were the worst team in the SPFL last season) will definitely punish us if we're that open against them. 

Joe was big mcginty ?

I think our next 2 tests will really show us where we are and what positions we need to improve I think i already have an idea of what positions they'll be but we'll have to see. If I'm being honest I think we've realistically already blown our chances of qualification after failing to beat Stirling I could have seen us potentially beat 1 of Ross County or Raith but I would be very surprised if we managed to beat both however I hope I'm proving wrong.

Edited by Ian Mcleod

5 hours ago, Moysterclass said:

3 of the back 4 wouldn't normally be starters so hopefully with the expected changes we will be a bit tighter. Agree we still need some improvement there however.

Just thinking about our last championship season, and it's mental how we very nearly stayed up. We had Zanatta, Shiels, De Bolle, Lewis Spence, Mimnaugh, Hughes, Tiehi and Bashley Seal making regular appearances. Genuinely don't think that squad is league one quality let alone championship. 

The squad in the first half of the season was hilariously bad - add in Virtanen, Doyle and Ellis Brown too. I'm actually a wee bit annoyed that a team so shit provided such a great memory by winning the Challenge Cup. 

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The squad in the first half of the season was hilariously bad - add in Virtanen, Doyle and Ellis Brown too. I'm actually a wee bit annoyed that a team so shit provided such a great memory by winning the Challenge Cup. 

Can't believe I forgot Ellis Brown. Not even sure he was a footballer. Also 22/23 Steve Lawson was absolutely diabolical. Never seen a player regress so badly. 

Not exactly thrilled with this signing as I didn't really rate him when he was at Ayr. Did have a good goal return for Glentoran though so hopefully it can be a decent signing.