The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

55 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

So Rankin bottles it again and costs the club more money. The game against Brechin and Today is what has cost us. Wonder if Rankin is still happy he settled for a 1-0 win against Brechin at home knew that would be what cost us as soon as that game finished. Today we could of had the game finished around the half hour mark then again for some reason we start getting deeper and deeper and that's where Cove score the equaliser its all downhill from there. I was one of the fans that wanted Rankin to get another shot but if he's going to keep being negative after a goal up and not change his mentality then he is as good as leaving today. We didn't get knocked out of the cup because of the players we got knocked out because of the manager. 

Frustratingly, 2 of the seeded teams will be Airdrie and Ayr, so we'd have had a 25% chance of being drawn into a tie that we might have had at least some chance of getting through.

This tweet, though

Screenshot_20230729_172446_X.thumb.jpg.3250b64289aefc46162ea37ee6af2512.jpg

Is unforgivable as it suggests that we didn't know before it started that losing the penalty shoot out eliminated us.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Frustratingly, 2 of the seeded teams will be Airdrie and Ayr, so we'd have had a 25% chance of being drawn into a tie that we might have had at least some chance of getting through.

This tweet, though

Screenshot_20230729_172446_X.thumb.jpg.3250b64289aefc46162ea37ee6af2512.jpg

Is unforgivable as it suggests that we didn't know before it started that losing the penalty shoot out eliminated 

Yep embarrassing. The club said during one of the statements that we appointed a new head of media was that another lie? Or is a volunteer? If we are paying someone to do the media stuff we are scamming ourselves

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Based on Cumbernauld, first half v Clyde, Brechin and the second half today, I think we probably already know this answer.

There's a very good team there, but it needs the right leader and I just don't think we've got that.

I agree, but I'm more encouraged by the performances in this League Cup group campaign than last season's which I hope hints at a more positive season. 

11 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Yep embarrassing. The club said during one of the statements that we appointed a new head of media was that another lie? Or is a volunteer? If we are paying someone to do the media stuff we are scamming ourselves

I'm not sure if there's another admin now, but the club could appoint the best content creator in the world yet Struthers would still have free rein on Twitter. 

Reflecting on yesterday it's clear already that Rankin isn't going to be the guy that will get us back in the championship. And he needs to be removed quickly no later than the end of September if things don't change which i doubt will. The performance against Brechin and Yesterday were embarrassing and very negative minded again from Rankin. Brechin we settled for a 1-0 and now we've got knocked due to GD i knew that game would come back to haunt us. Yesterday we showed in the first 30 minutes what these players are capable of then started getting deeper and deeper and eventually Cove scored then everyone in the stadium could tell Coves second was coming but Rankin leaves it too late again to make subs. With Ian McCall we win this league with Rankin we will struggle for 4th place the club need to get rid of him before it's too late. What happens if a Inverness or Dunfermline etc have a bad season and end up going down? That's us already finishing playoffs at best next season if we stay in League 1. 

Gutted and incredibly frustrated with yesterday, that performance stank of last season showing once again Rankin's specialty of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

That 2nd half performance was completely unacceptable, what was the plan? As it looked like there wasn't one. Night and day to Cove, who came out reinvigorated and knew what their objective was. 

I said I'd give Rankin the first quarter, but tbh if things dont go well even next week against Cove, I can see my patience running out already.

We shifted out a lot of dead wood from last season, both on and off the pitch, but Rankin is showing that we didn't replace the worst part of it.

Today …. I don’t know if I’m happy with what was said or not …. Lots of chat about what the club wants  to achieve … but IMO that’s all pie in the sky . 
It’s easy to say what you want to achieve, but if it doesn’t materialise then is all bollox ….

Lots of positive good chat from the board… but again results are what will back this up …. 

I Would say i am as frustrated as the previous posters, but despite how it ended yesterday i still feel this is a really good squad that will need time to click and believe they will. I know optimisim is dangerous as an Accies fan!

I also managed to get down today and the players that we spoke to all sounded like they are buying into what Rankin is trying to build and seem to think highly of him. It wasnt just the board that commented on the dressing room bond and how they are desperate to make amends for last season.

With regards to the forum, again left feeling more optimistic than i have felt for a long time. I would say some big topics were raised and not answered (especially the social media issues, legal letters, alleged threats to loyal fans etc ) and if i was one of the fans affected, not sure i would be too happy with the "its in the past lets move on" response they recieved.

BUT, there was acknowledgement of many issues that need addressed, talk of accountability, openess with the fans and a need to re-connect which i felt was genuine. There was also a clear indication that certain individuals influence in football maters had been to the detriment of the club. I particularly liked the comments about the charities now having to contribute to the club if they want to give away season tickets and that the board want to stop freebies being given to random folk that never use them. 

Yes talk is cheap and there will be no quick fix. There is a hell of a lot more to be done to win the trust and faith required from us. However today felt like a really positive start to me. 

At least we were able to speak to the board today, individually and collectively. If nothing else we got an oppertunity to raise our complaints/concerns/fears and were not just ignored! If they fail to make an attempt to address then i will revert back to being a winging cynic. 

Unfortunately couldn't make it down for Gala day, but seems like there's a mostly positive outlook and hopefully the start of a good relationship between the owner and the fans, which hasn't been the case for some time.

Glad to hear about more players coming in. To anyone that was there, was there any mention of Ryan Fulton and the situation there?

4 hours ago, Laid-back Accie said:

Unfortunately couldn't make it down for Gala day, but seems like there's a mostly positive outlook and hopefully the start of a good relationship between the owner and the fans, which hasn't been the case for some time.

Glad to hear about more players coming in. To anyone that was there, was there any mention of Ryan Fulton and the situation there?

I spoke to Fulton yesterday for a bit. Rankin gave an update stating he is working to resolve his injury. Sounded like the transfer got a bit complicated, he is still our player at the moment and Fulton still saying he wants to play. 

Edited by Beckford

On 29/07/2023 at 22:28, Ian Mcleod said:

We were told yesterday that the board recognise the website is not focused on the football club and updates etc not good enough. The charities largely funded it as we thought.

A new "official" facebook page is being launched today which will be the main outlet for football.

This can only be a positive thing, but the question remains as to why the website uses the club as a vehicle to promote its interests (even if they do bring some funding into the club) Surely we need a website that is focused on the football. I dont use face book so not sure if able to view all content / post comments if not registered. 

Board seemed to admit current situation is not good enough

Edited by Beckford

4 hours ago, Beckford said:

I spoke to Fulton yesterday for a bit. Rankin gave an update stating he is working to resolve his injury. Sounded like the transfer got a bit complicated, he is still our player at the moment and Fulton still saying he wants to play. 

Ah cheers. I can see us probably having to wait till the end of August before finding out if he'll play for us again.

From what I've heard from other fans on signings Rankin wants 3 and Gerry apparently wants 5/6 have a feeling we will be much closer to Rankins number. Seems like we are looking for a center half,center mid and striker. Think everyone knows we need a center half seems like it won't be Dylan McGowan though. Don't think we are really needing a midfielder though be interesting to see if it's more of a backup midfielder we sign. And striker is one we could do with think we are really needing a right winger more than a Striker though. I have a feeling if we sign a striker it will mean that O'Hara will play on the right as I think he has played there before at Dunfermline. With players coming in it seems like it's very likely that guys will be moving on as well from what I've heard. If Zannata isn't one of those players that's getting punted especially after Saturday I would be very surprised and annoyed tbh he should be the first player out the door. 

6 hours ago, Beckford said:

So was he on the way out before his injury? 

I couldn't make it yesterday, but heard from someone who was there that there doesn't seem to be much chat of outgoings. One was spoken about with a view to the future (need to be careful with him, will be part of Youth League squad) so it seems likely he'll stick around, and if Fulton stays then any money will need to be from punting dead weight (really only Zanatta and arguably, sadly, Lewis Smith at the moment) or sending a bunch of youngsters on loan, especially as the money for Forsyth and McDonald was apparently nowhere near what was reported. 

31 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

So was he on the way out before his injury? 

I couldn't make it yesterday, but heard from someone who was there that there doesn't seem to be much chat of outgoings. One was spoken about with a view to the future (need to be careful with him, will be part of Youth League squad) so it seems likely he'll stick around, and if Fulton stays then any money will need to be from punting dead weight (really only Zanatta and arguably, sadly, Lewis Smith at the moment) or sending a bunch of youngsters on loan, especially as the money for Forsyth and McDonald was apparently nowhere near what was reported. 

We need Jamie and Marley to get themselves fit sooner rather than later.  Marley can't seem to get a bit of luck ATM which is a shame considering he looked very impressive during our first year in the championship. I wonder if Owens is still in Rankins plans. The thing with Jamie what will he be like if he ever does comeback? Lewis Smith missed a season with injury and has never been the same player since sadly. Jamie has nearly missed a season and a half now he's going to struggle massively if he ever does come back. I would be a bit sad to see Lewis go tbh I really want him to kick on I would much rather see Zannata leave than Smithy they might both end up moving on though.

17 hours ago, Beckford said:

I would say some big topics were raised and not answered (especially the social media issues, legal letters, alleged threats to loyal fans etc ) and if i was one of the fans affected, not sure i would be too happy with the "its in the past lets move on" response they recieved

And this is the problem. With a character very central to everything still on the board "it's in the past let's move on" really doesn't cut the mustard.

It needs properly adressed first.

Hopefully those involved will get the matter resolved in private (this was implied at the forum) 

Its not something thats going to go away and the loyal fans involved lost an awful lot of faith in the club as a result, that much is clear.

Resolving the various issues would def be in the boards interest if serious about connecting with the fan base. Especially as the board member at the centre of it all seems to have played a big part in our recruitment of players and improving our squad

8 hours ago, Beckford said:

. Especially as the board member at the centre of it all seems to have played a big part in our recruitment of players and improving our squad

I highly doubt said board member/director of football had as much input as his egotistical signing announcements state.

Infact I can quite confidently assume every single signing we’ve made would probably still be at the club if said DOF wasn’t imo.

18 hours ago, Beckford said:

Hopefully those involved will get the matter resolved in private

I'm not sure why you feel the acknowledgement and apology for the very public nonsense from certain people should be delivered in private.

Sounds very "its in the past lets move on" if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure why you feel the acknowledgement and apology for the very public nonsense from certain people should be delivered in private.

Sounds very "its in the past lets move on" if you ask me.

To save duplicate posts, i have already replied to the above on accies world. Sorry if i wasnt clear that i agree and not looking to defend the board member in question. I dont use the platforms where the issues happened, but what i saw second hand was not good at all. As stated, i dont feel the lets move on stance was good enough.