Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

What is the remit now,  only signing players that are better than what we have and doesn't want to sign anybody just to fill the bench.... 

or the exact opposite signing players who are clearly not good enough at the moment and are there to fill the bench....

Can anybody confirm our squad and signing remit....    Rhys seems to be saying one thing then doing the other..

Who has he signed that, in your opinion, is 'clearly not good enough'? 

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Here's Rhys explaining today and I think I've mentioned this once or twice. Clear policy is to sign and develop young players as for "quality" well, that's down to the budget.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/crystal-palace-move-shows-airdrie-30815090

I'd say quantity is down to budget more than quality. He says himself he's signing players who fit into the way we play and can develop and potentially be sold on. Sounds like a sensible strategy to me. He's made it clear he's only going to sing players of a quality that he recognises as being good enough for our team and not just the bench. 

2 hours ago, diamondman said:

Puzzling. Who knows what we do not see..

Looked promising, but maybe others saw differently.

Think it's because he was so far down the pecking order with McCabe, Telfer, Devenny, McMaster and Aiken ahead of him at the time that they felt it was unlikely he'd be seeing any game time so was released to find another club.

If he's not found a club maybe he fancies being a trialist at the weekend.

24 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

But we've a team full of decent players already. Not sure what your point is. Do you mean we don't have enough decent players, or do you think we need better than we already have? 

My point is we do not have enough players at the moment to cover our sending off our injuries ,was the manager not on the bench    and a couple of others that no way they were going on the park ,

11 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I'd say quantity is down to budget more than quality. He says himself he's signing players who fit into the way we play and can develop and potentially be sold on. Sounds like a sensible strategy to me. He's made it clear he's only going to sing players of a quality that he recognises as being good enough for our team and not just the bench. 

Yip agree with the first part but we haven’t signed anyone whose quality would make him an automatic pick. In my mind it’s simply because we can’t or are not willing to stump up that little bit extra to secure that type.

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

My point is we do not have enough players at the moment to cover our sending off our injuries ,was the manager not on the bench    and a couple of others that no way they were going on the park ,

If McCabe was close to being fit last weekend, I'd expect him to be fit for this Weekend, at least for a place on the bench again. Telfer could also be back, McStravick could be cleared to play, we've got Gav Gal in. So I think we will be OK and I trust there may be more to join in the coming weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

If McCabe was close to being fit last weekend, I'd expect him to be fit for this Weekend, at least for a place on the bench again. Telfer could also be back, McStravick could be cleared to play, we've got Gav Gal in. So I think we will be OK and I trust there may be more to join in the coming weeks. 

Awe,there we go then sorted ,

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip agree with the first part but we haven’t signed anyone whose quality would make him an automatic pick. In my mind it’s simply because we can’t or are not willing to stump up that little bit extra to secure that type.

Who are you meaning and how do you know they don't have the capability to be an automatic pick this season? Rhys said he seems Gavin Gallagher as a replacement for Devenny. We signed McMaster on a permanent deal and he's smashing it and a permanent starter now. You cant say he doesn't count because he was here on loan last season. He's signed permanently, stepped up and is bossing it. Aiken on loan has nailed down a starting spot. Todorov will push Gal all the way and would be starting but for injury. Hancock is being kept out by a solid back 4, but has looked good when he's come on. 

We've not even seen Gavin Gallagher or McStravick yet, so how could you possibly say they're not going to be good enough to become starters? 

6 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Who are you meaning and how do you know they don't have the capability to be an automatic pick this season? Rhys said he seems Gavin Gallagher as a replacement for Devenny. We signed McMaster on a permanent deal and he's smashing it and a permanent starter now. You cant say he doesn't count because he was here on loan last season. He's signed permanently, stepped up and is bossing it. Aiken on loan has nailed down a starting spot. Todorov will push Gal all the way and would be starting but for injury. Hancock is being kept out by a solid back 4, but has looked good when he's come on. 

We've not even seen Gavin Gallagher or McStravick yet, so how could you possibly say they're not going to be good enough to become starters? 

Gav Gallagher will be banned for sat ,seems a big game for inexperienced players,only my opinion,

3 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You’ve completed missed my point. Do you really think Gav Gal & McStravick are going to be automatic picks as 18 year olds and  1 of whom has never played a senior professional game in his career. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Gav Gallagher will be banned for sat ,seems a big game for inexperienced players,only my opinion,

Not sure how sending offs in the reserves work. But in terms of inexperienced players, you'd say the same of McMaster and Aike who've bossed our midfield so far, against both Dundee and Ross County. Dundee Utd away will always be a difficult game no matter who we bring in. They're runaway favourites got the league and starting to play well. 

We won't win every game this season. Nobody expects us to. But we've Ready started much better than most expected. And that's with young, inexperienced players starting every week. And how do these players get experience? They only become experienced by getting regular game time. 

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

You’ve completed missed my point. Do you really think Gav Gal & McStravick are going to be automatic picks as 18 year olds and  1 of whom has never played a senior professional game in his career. 

No, I totally got your point.

Murray Aiken is 18. Devenny last season was 18. McMaster is only 20. Aiken and Devenny hadn't played 1st team games before joining us. And starting games. 

7 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Not sure how sending offs in the reserves work. But in terms of inexperienced players, you'd say the same of McMaster and Aike who've bossed our midfield so far, against both Dundee and Ross County. Dundee Utd away will always be a difficult game no matter who we bring in. They're runaway favourites got the league and starting to play well. 

We won't win every game this season. Nobody expects us to. But we've Ready started much better than most expected. And that's with young, inexperienced players starting every week. And how do these players get experience? They only become experienced by getting regular game time. 

Throwing them in at the deep end will give them experience but might be a bad one ,maybe like the result the reserves had against Livy 

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Throwing them in at the deep end will give them experience but might be a bad one ,maybe like the result the reserves had against Livy 

Any experience csn be good experience, depending on how they use it and are coached. Lovi had several 1st team Fringe players in their team. A good learning curve for our players or the level they need to aspire to. 

Said it already but we are not expected to win every game. We will have hard games, but to flip an old saying, if you're good enough, you're old enough. 

ETA: Imagine saying to someone like Aiken or McMaster that you were dropping them because we were playing Dundee Utd because they weren't old enough. What would that do to their confidence and belief in themselves? 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

Any experience csn be good experience, depending on how they use it and are coached. Lovi had several 1st team Fringe players in their team. A good learning curve for our players or the level they need to aspire to. 

Said it already but we are not expected to win every game. We will have hard games, but to flip an old saying, if you're good enough, you're old enough. 

ETA: Imagine saying to someone like Aiken or McMaster that you were dropping them because we were playing Dundee Utd because they weren't old enough. What would that do to their confidence and belief in themselves? 

Would you not drop Aiken or McMaster for  McCabe and Frizzell or even Telfer if all available.....  I certainly would against a team the calibre of Dundee United at Tannadice.

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

No, I totally got your point.

Murray Aiken is 18. Devenny last season was 18. McMaster is only 20. Aiken and Devenny hadn't played 1st team games before joining us. And starting games. 

You really haven’t. EG: Kerr McInroy would walk into our 1st 11 and play every week as he’s guaranteed and proven at this level. We have signed potential and for the avoidance of doubt i’m not criticising these young players.

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Who has he signed that, in your opinion, is 'clearly not good enough'? 

Well nearing un mind we haven't signed that many new players,  I will raise you Elliot Dunlop and the jury has to be out on Hancock, Gallagher, Cassidy ,   Todorov has proven as a experienced championship player he can cut it...

Would you say any of the players mentioned are ' clearly good enough'

Don't think we were talking about Aiken or McMaster we know what they can do and are playing well ,it's to  me anyway it's bringing in to many young  players to quick ,we are all wanting the best for Airdrie ,it's only my opinion,