Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

34 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Well nearing un mind we haven't signed that many new players,  I will raise you Elliot Dunlop and the jury has to be out on Hancock, Gallagher, Cassidy ,   Todorov has proven as a experienced championship player he can cut it...

Would you say any of the players mentioned are ' clearly good enough'

I don't know yet. As they've not had the opportunity. But as I've said before I'd trust McCabe's judgement on a player's over anyone on P&B. 

40 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would you not drop Aiken or McMaster for  McCabe and Frizzell or even Telfer if all available.....  I certainly would against a team the calibre of Dundee United at Tannadice.

No. As they've already been playing and playing well so merit there place in the team. The fact you'd consider dropping McMaster, a player whose leading by some distance in the August player of the month vote, speaks volumes. 

It's clear that you're in the Alan Hansen 'you can't win anything with kids' camp so we shall have to agree to disagree. 

45 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

You really haven’t. EG: Kerr McInroy would walk into our 1st 11 and play every week as he’s guaranteed and proven at this level. We have signed potential and for the avoidance of doubt i’m not criticising these young players.

You said they don't have the capability to play in the first team. I challenged that they might, as others have proven before them. You're not even giving them a chance and writing them off, purely based on their age. 

McInroy may well be a cracking player for Thistle this season. But what's his wages like? Maybe outwith our budget? Also, will he end up being better than our current midfielders? Not guaranteed. I'd have McMaster over him any day. 

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You said they don't have the capability to play in the first team. I challenged that they might, as others have proven before them. You're not even giving them a chance and writing them off, purely based on their age. 

McInroy may well be a cracking player for Thistle this season. But what's his wages like? Maybe outwith our budget? Also, will he end up being better than our current midfielders? Not guaranteed. I'd have McMaster over him any day. 

McMaster over McInroy ,aye maybe in 10 years time ,

44 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

McMaster over McInroy ,aye maybe in 10 years time ,

And it's comments like this that prove there's no reasoning with some folk on here. Let's see where McInroy is v McMaster in a few years time. 

As I said, they're both good players right now and offer a lot. You clearly don't agree and that's fine. 

But as I've said before, I'm happy to trust Rhys and the clubs approach and opinion of what a talented player is. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Would you not drop Aiken or McMaster for  McCabe and Frizzell or even Telfer if all available.....  I certainly would against a team the calibre of Dundee United at Tannadice.

You've clearly been watching a different game to me over the past few weeks to suggest McMaster gets dropped. Boy's been different class.

He should 100% start on Saturday, irrespective of opposition.

7 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

This utter bollocks and you're simply making things up now.

7 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And it's comments like this that prove there's no reasoning with some folk on here. Let's see where McInroy is v McMaster in a few years time. 

As I said, they're both good players right now and offer a lot. You clearly don't agree and that's fine. 

But as I've said before, I'm happy to trust Rhys and the clubs approach and opinion of what a talented player is. 

McMaster is proving to be a good player but not near as good as McInroy at the moment,It was the comment you would have McMaster over McInroy  I didn't agree with ,but it only the matter of opinion,

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

No. As they've already been playing and playing well so merit there place in the team. The fact you'd consider dropping McMaster, a player whose leading by some distance in the August player of the month vote, speaks volumes. 

Player of the month fair enough,  I personally voted for Cammy Ballantyne a player who has been outstanding in all 4 games in August, to be fair Watson should have got it also for his performances in 4 games also, McMaster has only played  2 games and 2 sub roles,

8 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's clear that you're in the Alan Hansen 'you can't win anything with kids' camp so we shall have to agree to disagree. 

Yes to an extent you are correct,  this thread is lively these days.,  Devenneys stock Rose dramatically without kicking a ball this season, got his move and wish him well.   . McMaster could well be the same, behind him ??     I will rephrase  it for you can you survive this season in the championship with kids....     I suspect your answer will be a resounding YES,     as you expect i would disagree with your proposed response..

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Yes to an extent you are correct,  this thread is lively these days.,  Devenneys stock Rose dramatically without kicking a ball this season, got his move and wish him well.   . McMaster could well be the same, behind him ??     I will rephrase  it for you can you survive this season in the championship with kids....     I suspect your answer will be a resounding YES,     as you expect i would disagree with your proposed response..

Do you think we are getting relegated with our current squad?

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

Team? no, squad? not as confident.

ETA- it's actually discipline that worries me more than injuries (although I'm terrified of both), particularly as likely our three best players; Frizz, Josh and Cammy all absolutely LOVE a card.

Edited by cb_diamond

37 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Could a team of kids survive in the Championship? It'd be a very difficult challenge for sure and most likely a team of kids would not survive. No issues agreeing to that. 

The thing is, which is what many people keep missing the point of, we don't have a team full of kids. We've got an excellent blend of youth and experience.

A young GK with a whole year of Championship experience with QoTS and the best part of last year in a promotion winning team with us last season. 

A very experienced, and settled defence. 

A midfield with a great mix of both, namely Frizz, Telfer and McCabe who've bags of experience with some superb young talent already holding their own in big games. 

An attack with Gal, Gabby and Todorov. 

There's experience right through the core of the team, with young players mixed in. And you know what? They're all talented and all contributing. It's not a case of, experience guaranteeing better play. You could easily argue that the younger players have made more of a contribution in many games this season already. 

29 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

I will rephrase it slightly IMO (which I always give, many on here should give theirs). .  with our current squad and lack of depth in important positions,  GK, CH etc and our lack of quality signings it will be very difficult over the course of a season,  there are no Clyde, Peterhead, kelty triple headers in this league to drag you out a slump,  at the moment we are doing great alright we rode our luck on Saturday against ICT..

As I have said before I never want to darken league 1 door again,   the 'riches' in this league are enough for clubs to be more 'reckless' with their spending in order to stay in it...    

8th is still the target, but with the right recruitment getting the desired quality could mean a 5 th or 6 thplace finish and the extra prize money would more than pay for the better quality of player,   as Rhys always says 'High risk, High Reward' that's not true with signings to date is it..

The reality is that this team finished 3rd in league 1 and squeaked up via the playoffs. It's not unreasonable to expect robust recruitment and have askance of where we have ended up given that its almost exclusively been unproven kids.

Thrilled to have 6/9 points, and if we can keep that up then brilliant; however will be interested to see where we will be at the end of the first cycle of fixtures (I'm pretty much expecting a gubbing on Saturday, but hope I am wrong). Injuries are more likely to catch up with us than other squads with more depth, but I also think that there are other teams in the division who are weaker than they are made out to be.

So am I worried about relegation? It's going to be a concern this season until it is not.

Edited by G_H

10 minutes ago, G_H said:

The reality is that this team finished 3rd in league 1 and squeaked up via the playoffs. It's not unreasonable to expect robust recruitment and have askance of where we have ended up given that its almost exclusively been unproven kids.

Thrilled to have 6/9 points, and if we can keep that up then brilliant; however will be interested to see where we will be at the end of the first cycle of fixtures (I'm pretty much expecting a gubbing on Saturday, but hope I am wrong). Injuries are more likely to catch up with us than other squads with more depth, but I also think that there are other teams in the division who are weaker than they are made out to be.

So am I worried about relegation? It's going to be a concern this season until it is not.

I too am worried about the thought of relegation. You'd be foolish not to, given how rank league 1 has been for so many years. I'd also like to see us sign a couple more players, be it permanent or on loan, but I do expect that to happen at some point over the next month. I'm also worried about how Saturday will go as away to Dundee Utd is a huge test. Biggest budget v smallest (most likely) so it's gonna be tough. 

In saying that, I do believe in the group of players we already have in place. More importantly, I believe we've got one of the most exciting young managers in the game right now, who is still learning himself. 

Yeah we finished 3rd in League One last year. But I'll bet you McCabe learned a lot from that and some of the losses. You can already see how much tighter we are becoming defensively without compromising too much on our style of play. We also banged in the 2nd highest number of goals in Scotland last season. So far this season we've scored 15 goals in 8 games. That's pretty incredible form a league up and with 2 games against SPL teams in there too. 

Let's be honest, all lively debates aside, it's exciting as feck and going to continue to be for the season ahead. But we are in the Championship and I've no doubt the club will do all they can within their power to remain here. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

49 minutes ago, Passionate said:

As I have said before I never want to darken league 1 door again,   the 'riches' in this league are enough for clubs to be more 'reckless' with their spending in order to stay in it... 

Couldn't agree more.

17 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I too am worried about the thought of relegation. You'd be foolish not to, given how rank league 1 has been for so many years. I'd also like to see us sign a couple more players, be it permanent or on loan, but I do expect that to happen at some point over the next month. I'm also worried about how Saturday will go as away to Dundee Utd is a huge test. Biggest budget v smallest (most likely) so it's gonna be tough. 

In saying that, I do believe in the group of players we already have in place. More importantly, I believe we've got one of the most exciting young managers in the game right now, who is still learning himself. 

Yeah we finished 3rd in League One last year. But I'll bet you McCabe learned a lot from that and some of the losses. You csn already see how much tighter we are becoming defensively without compromising too much on our style of play. We also banging in the 2nd highest number of goals in Scotland last season. So far this season we've scored 15 goals in 8 games. That's pretty incredible form a league up and with 2 games against SPL teams in there too. 

Let's be honest, all lively debates aside, it's exciting as feck and going to continue to be for the season ahead. But we are in the Championship and I've no doubt the club will do all they can within their power to remain here. 

Aye it's a long time since I have heard the impression of the united fans ,the very quiet United United United, it used to be good,

One thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is how players have improved while playing for us. If you look at the level of Devenny, Deveney, Cal Gal, McMaster, and ATS at this point last year and look at them now, they have all improved noticeably, Thus by bringing in kids, the hope surely is that they too will improve significantly, they are investments for the future, and not long term future,

Add to that the fact that the manager while already fine is still learning and improving, we would have had no chance at this point last season had we gone down to 10 men early in the second half, but we managed it at the weekend,

We are going to find ourselves in worse runs of form than we are in at the moment, if you are pessimistic now you will become near suicidal when things get worse (and as a fan of 50 years I know that things almost always get worse!!)

58 minutes ago, Passionate said:

as Rhys always says 'High risk, High Reward' that's not true with signings to date is it..

I would say yes, fair enough if you think of that statement in a financial sense but I never took it that way.

I would say the high risk is signing unproven youngsters and the reward is then turning out like devenny, McMaster etc.