Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, G_H said:

not very happy with the ongoing efforts to strengthen the clubs around us.

What's the plan when for Wilson gets injured? Chuck Reid/Cooper on and hope for the best? Just play with midfielders?

Wouldn't be the biggest surprise to adopt a false 9 approach but more Guardiola than Levein!

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Wouldn't be the biggest surprise to adopt a false 9 approach but more Guardiola than Levein!

The old fashioned 4 4 2, is gone under Rhys,   he does go against the grain in playing young players,  more progressive formations and generally sticking 2 fingers up to everybody in media , football pundits etc saying you cannot do this etc,   

Maybe more coaches could take a leaf out of Rhys book,  but maybe when you get your badges you become one of 'them'

Had a bad feeling Toddy would be off to a Championship rival but thought it might have been Raith.  And agree about Hamiltons signing video, bit of a piss take. Lots of motivation to pump them come our first meeting.  But thinking about this departure

1. Rhys must have known that Toddy was off to a league rival but I’m figuring that…

2. …he was not 100% on the Toddy train and thought it would be worth losing him to free  up a wage so that…..

3. …..we could sign a replacement and/or buy a better quality and much needed defender.   

on the face of it, this looks like bad business by Airdrie but I think we all have to have the ‘In Rhys we trust’ attitude on this one.  If money wasn’t an option he’d be warming our new bucket seats for the whole season.  But if Rhys calculations work out he’ll be a minimum loss with a good replacement coming in. Otherwise, injuries could hamper our league campaign.  

it may take a few days but I think we’ll see a couple more pens out prior to the league starting. Honestly, if we come through the LC games with solid performances and plenty of goals it’ll be Toddy who???? 

3 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Has there been any more on this defender from an English Championship club we're supposedly getting on loan?  Someone mentioned it a few a pages back, but I've seen nothing since.

We've been offered him but no movement as of yet. 

Seems most of the reaction on social media (which isn’t a good barometer for anything) is quite nonchalant or even flippant about Todorov and his role in the team last season. I don’t disagree with the assessment that he’s not a great fit for McCabeBall or that he’s an average Championship striker. But, that’s the point. He’s a bankable Championship striker in a way that Reid and Cooper (and McGregor) are not. I think Wilson will be the business but even with him we don’t really know how good he’ll be or what quantity of goals 18 in the Northern Irish Premiership translates to in the Scottish Championship. I do think he’ll good but I think there might be some overestimation at just how good him and McGregor will be based on swording a pub team 😂 It’d be a huge risk relying on Cooper, who’s one first team appearance was on Tuesday, and Reid, who by all accounts was poor at Peterhead last season, as the only backups to Wilson at centre forward. That doesn’t mean either or both aren’t or won’t be good enough now or in time. But one injury, suspension or loss of form for Wilson and we’d be fucked as we are at the moment. We already didn’t score enough goals last season. Gabby, Gal and O’Connor got 21 between them and now we have to replace Todorov’s dozen on top of that. Will Cooper and Reid get a dozen between them never mind themselves? Not convinced. Think it would be a bit farcical, currently, if either one of them had to start for any length of time so hopefully Todorov’s wage is used to bring in a replacement, as well as a centre-half. 

Todorov going to a league rival is not unusual, what is unusual is he was under contract,  surely we could have got something for him,  agree that is poor business which is unlike the club recently..

Let's break the situation down. Todorov has saw little action and has lost his place to a talented striker from across the water,  what do players do these days,  they go to their agent to moan,  his agent is Consilium who provide Airdrie with numerous players most of which of a very decent standard,  an agents job is to keep his client happy and play in as high a level as he can,   

This is the downside when you have so many players from the same stable,   it hasn't happened before but could in the future if for example Mochrie on a 2 year deal sees little action, eventually Gallagher and fringe players will do the same  Mochrie will do the same,  if things are going well , it is great lose your place and players test the market..

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

Seems most of the reaction on social media (which isn’t a good barometer for anything) is quite nonchalant or even flippant about Todorov and his role in the team last season. I don’t disagree with the assessment that he’s not a great fit for McCabeBall or that he’s an average Championship striker. But, that’s the point. He’s a bankable Championship striker in a way that Reid and Cooper (and McGregor) are not. I think Wilson will be the business but even with him we don’t really know how good he’ll be or what quantity of goals 18 in the Northern Irish Premiership translates to in the Scottish Championship. I do think he’ll good but I think there might be some overestimation at just how good him and McGregor will be based on swording a pub team 😂 It’d be a huge risk relying on Cooper, who’s one first team appearance was on Tuesday, and Reid, who by all accounts was poor at Peterhead last season, as the only backups to Wilson at centre forward. That doesn’t mean either or both aren’t or won’t be good enough now or in time. But one injury, suspension or loss of form for Wilson and we’d be fucked as we are at the moment. We already didn’t score enough goals last season. Gabby, Gal and O’Connor got 21 between them and now we have to replace Todorov’s dozen on top of that. Will Cooper and Reid get a dozen between them never mind themselves? Not convinced. Think it would be a bit farcical, currently, if either one of them had to start for any length of time so hopefully Todorov’s wage is used to bring in a replacement, as well as a centre-half. 

Absolutely spot on

as expected, he wasnt ready for championship level, he has the makings of a good player and i hope its not another player that come end of season is one were letting go on a free...that does mean that mcdonald is now the only starting RB, with agyemang, watson and aitken being able to fill out that role if needed...can see us making use of a atleast 2-3 more loan signings in the coming month or 2, i echo the words prior to this post when i say we need a RB, CB and ST to fill in the gaps

image.png.ca9e3e4cbfe8a2c71b2fd97b62012268.png

Edited by boost

26 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Don't disagree but I've been saying this for weeks that we have loads of new players, in the same boat as Reid & Cooper who have yet to prove themselves in the championship. I'm a great believer in the manager and therefore certain there will be more successes than failures but by the end of August it will become apparent that some are not going to be seriously considered for the starting 11 and our squad will look a lot thinner.

27 minutes ago, boost said:

as expected, he wasnt ready for championship level, he has the makings of a good player and i hope its not another player that come end of season is one were letting go on a free...that does mean that mcdonald is now the only starting RB, with agyemang, watson and aitken being able to fill out that role if needed...can see us making use of a atleast 2-3 more loan signings in the coming month or 2, i echo the words prior to this post when i say we need a RB, CB and ST to fill in the gaps

image.png.ca9e3e4cbfe8a2c71b2fd97b62012268.png

Seems a sensible move as he was never going to play and the experience will be great for him. From the glimpses that we've seen he does look a feisty Ballantyne type of player.

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Maybe the pound notes,

And a 2 year deal at his age which offers him security.

We now have 5 strikers, but no real width apart from that Livvy player Bradley.

I would expect us to play Todorov and Oli Shaw with O’Hara on the wing.

That guy from Cliftonville looks like he will do a good job for you guys in any case.

Gutted to see toddy go, purely for the moments he gave us. But it was just that, moments. He's never consistent enough or even the type of player to fit I to what McCabe's trying to build. It's one of those ones, both parties shake hands, thank each other for the good times and go their separate ways.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

Onwards and upwards to Dumbarton minus big Toddy and I'm expecting a few changes today but not wholesale. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mochrie, Aiken & Bruce coming in and think Wilson & McGregor will be given another chance to shine up front, well for 60 minutes anyway depending on the score of course.

Suspect McGrattan will start since he wasn’t involved at all on Tuesday. 

Johnson 

McDonald, Watson, Wilson, Hancock;

McMaster;

McGrattan, Aiken, Mochrie;

McGregor, Wilson

Think we have so much strength in depth in midfield it really could be any 3 from about 6 or 7 that start!

Edited by BigDi@mond

Not helped by us playing the same shape on a tight pitch but this really reminds me of the defeat at Cappielow last season. So slow and easy to play through despite being really congested in the middle.

42 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Not helped by us playing the same shape on a tight pitch but this really reminds me of the defeat at Cappielow last season. So slow and easy to play through despite being really congested in the middle.

Rhys Armstrong and Ben Wilson, thank you.