Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

18 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Dramatic late goals in a 4-3 win over Dumbarton once again, but this time without half their team getting sent off.

Not overly sporting on their side one must say

I'm all for squad rotas and getting minutes in etc in this group competition but I'd want that to happen when we establish a good score position.

Felt Rhys wanted to shoe in Bruce to a shape but it stopped Hancock driving on for much of the early game. Missing Wilson at centre and midfield passing around but not breaking through, it was slow before they stole the ball and scored with a good shot. Had we scored minutes earlier it would have eased my feelings about what happens at Dumbarton.

It was a shocker to go two behind and I'd need to see the handball but the arrival of the real players set up an exciting end. 

Dumbarton were clearly able to shut us out in the middle until then and maybe they tired just in time.

On to Pitoddrie for the first time in years - was it the Paul Bonar cup game? 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

In some ways that game was the best thing that could have happened to us after Tuesday. I don’t think we learned much from Tuesday in isolation but McCabe should take a lot from both games together. 

I assume McCabe was trying to control the game a bit more today with the change in shape, while also trying to give some players minutes. I don’t think the shape worked but that was largely down to the personnel. The defence seemed a bit shaky, particularly Watson who did not have a good game, while I thought Bruce was largely anonymous. The midfield blend didn’t seem quite right, not enough energy from McMaster and McGrattan, Mochrie doesn’t look anywhere near fit enough yet and Agyemang reminds me of Arran Lyall in that there’s some really good moments amongst loads of poor decision making. I wasn’t impressed by Reid at all, he had all the bad points of Todorov without being a threat in the box. Still plenty of time for him to improve but I think today highlighted we definitely need another forward option. 

The subs made a huge difference. Armstrong was outstanding when he came on, most positive things in the second half involved him. He feels like a really good replacement for Telfer. Wilson looked really sharp again and took his goal well.

I think we’ve got our starting 11 now, it’s up to the others to find a way to break into that. It looked like Watson pulled a muscle right at the end, so that does leave us short at the back for Tuesday night if he’s out.

havent been to dumbarton in years, went today, was nice to see all the new houses there...remember last time i was there it was just a barron wasteland

wasnt surprised with how the game went...tight pitch against a physical team which we always seem to struggle against (see Morton and Capielow andAayr at Somerset), wasnt surprised either with the lineup, some boys had to get minutes into the legs, the likes of McMaster ho missed pre season as well as McGrattan and Mochrie who never got a real test on tuesday night seemed slow to start of with...i dont understand why folk were moaning and getting annoyed in the stand because we werent outplaying dumbarton, cant always expecting to hit the ground running immediately

as for the players, i was surprised with how much Reid was willing to chase the ball down against their backline, Agyemang seemed slow out of the gates and to me he need to work on his anticipation, too many times was the ball played to him in the midfield and instead of him going to the ball..he was letting the ball come to him which is why we were losing the ball in that area..McMaster looked a lot better once the subs came on, i suspect that down to him not having that chemistry with Mochrie and McGrattan yet, but that will come along in time...Bruce and MacDonald need more time on the ball...Wright had a good game and pulled off some good stops, always nice to see some competition for the goalkeeper spot

the subs coming on were that desperate breath of fresh air we needed, it was very clear that Dumbarton werent there to win the match, even at 0-0 and 1-1 they were timewasting...Armstrong seems to be another diamond in the rough that we have found in League 2 of all places, immediate impact, skillful on the ball, can control it very well and isnt afraid to get stuck in...obviously i dont think there's enough praise in the world to heap onto McGregor and B. Wilson, what a partnership that is slowly blossoming into

1 hour ago, Airdrie101 said:

A few fans have said Todorov was a high earner, what would be considered a high earner in this division and our club?

The division, 1k+, us, probably 700 or 800 a week

Thought the goalie and A Wilson and Jannie turned up well on Saturday for the full game. 

McDonald and Hancock did more in the 2nd half. In the first, McDonald and Bruce were pushing up wide as we seemed to be 3 at the back. That worked well last year, especially after Ballantyne started playing on the left of the 3, as it covered the lapses Mason had been having in his defensive duties. The first half on Saturday with Mason in the back 3 meant he was getting forward less, and, anyway, Bruce was meant to be filling the space that Mason attacks.

McDonald was trying to get forward in the first half, too, but their left winger was getting in behind him. In the second half, McDonald got stuck in a lot more defensively and still got forward a bit (assist for Armstrong). Mason, too, got forward more, which is great to watch, but a better team would have punished us when counter-attacking when Mason, the left back, was left back up the park.

We were much better with the team that finished the game. Look forward to seeing how those who were subb'd develop in the coming weeks

3 hours ago, goodwin said:

Thought the goalie and A Wilson and Jannie turned up well on Saturday for the full game. 

McDonald and Hancock did more in the 2nd half. In the first, McDonald and Bruce were pushing up wide as we seemed to be 3 at the back. That worked well last year, especially after Ballantyne started playing on the left of the 3, as it covered the lapses Mason had been having in his defensive duties. The first half on Saturday with Mason in the back 3 meant he was getting forward less, and, anyway, Bruce was meant to be filling the space that Mason attacks.

McDonald was trying to get forward in the first half, too, but their left winger was getting in behind him. In the second half, McDonald got stuck in a lot more defensively and still got forward a bit (assist for Armstrong). Mason, too, got forward more, which is great to watch, but a better team would have punished us when counter-attacking when Mason, the left back, was left back up the park.

We were much better with the team that finished the game. Look forward to seeing how those who were subb'd develop in the coming weeks

Airdrie done well to to grab a win ,a player like Danny Wilson is needed ,but he is cup tied anyway ,so maybe still get him ,

5 hours ago, goodwin said:

Only seen the highlights therefore I'll take your word for it but Janny looked very easy beat out wide for Dumbarton's 2nd.

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Only seen the highlights therefore I'll take your word for it but Janny looked very easy beat out wide for Dumbarton's 2nd.

We were very easily cut open with players caught up the park,  MacDonald is a trier not helped by the system,  to me he looks maxed out against Lower League opposition, I dread to think what a Fitzpatrick of Thistle and others when up against him in the league,   we need a CB and Watson can then play wing back with MacDonald as cover that's how I would play it..

Not just MacDonald was caught,  McMaster was found wanting defensively as well,  he has to show much better awareness, we all know he can pass a simple ball,   much more to a defensive midfield player than that....

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We were very easily cut open with players caught up the park,  MacDonald is a trier not helped by the system,  to me he looks maxed out against Lower League opposition, I dread to think what a Fitzpatrick of Thistle and others when up against him in the league,   we need a CB and Watson can then play wing back with MacDonald as cover that's how I would play it..

Not just MacDonald was caught,  McMaster was found wanting defensively as well,  he has to show much better awareness, we all know he can pass a simple ball,   much more to a defensive midfield player than that....

I'd be chapping David Gray's door again about Kanayo. Played left back for Hibs on Saturday and didn't do himself any favours.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd be chapping David Gray's door again about Kanayo. Played left back for Hibs on Saturday and didn't do himself any favours.

I think he is destined for bigger clubs than us unfortunately,    we have 2 domestic loans available this window ,  could well be a wait and see what part of the team needs propped up when it settles down..

48 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I think he is destined for bigger clubs than us unfortunately,    we have 2 domestic loans available this window ,  could well be a wait and see what part of the team needs propped up when it settles down..

I hope we do try to get Megwa back. Would hate to see him go to a rival, such as Thistle

1 hour ago, AB1974 said:

I hope we do try to get Megwa back. Would hate to see him go to a rival, such as Thistle

I wondered if we might use the wage saving from Todorov leaving to make a bid for Megwa back on loan, definitely need at least one good player to bolster the defense. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

does agyemang's loan count as domestic even though its from the english championship?

1 hour ago, boost said:

does agyemang's loan count as domestic even though its from the english championship?

As far as I know it's 5 players from the Scottish League, you can have a similar number from players in other associations. (England etc)    

..That is my assumption please feel free to correct me..

35 minutes ago, Passionate said:

As far as I know it's 5 players from the Scottish League, you can have a similar number from players in other associations. (England etc)    

..That is my assumption please feel free to correct me..

@Skyline Drifter shed any light bud?