Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

30 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

It's Jackie McNamara's agency. Rhys McCabe is tied in very closely with him and A guy called Andy Young who appears to be his chief talent scout. We have have a LOT of consillium players through our books in the last 2 years (can't mind the exact number but in the 15+ ballpark). Appears we're on first refusal a lot of the time, although that's purely my speculation.

Thanks for that.

I'm wondering if it's Andy Young from Inverclyde. He used to work for Partick. Sounds like the arrangement is working well whatever it looks like

18 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Thanks for that.

I'm wondering if it's Andy Young from Inverclyde. He used to work for Partick. Sounds like the arrangement is working well whatever it looks like

I'd agree that it's been in our benefit, good signings like Ben Wilson and Mochrie I'm sure have came to us in part due to the tie in. There's definitely pros and cons but for me more pros and like you say it's helped with our return to this level.

Edited by cb_diamond

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Any word on McGregor,can do with him being fit for sat ,????

I'd rather McGregor was 100% for next Saturday.  Maybe a chance to give Cooper a start and see how he does in that role?

49 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'd agree that it's been in our benefit, good signings like Ben Wilson and Mochrie I'm sure have came to us in part due to the tie in. There's definitely pros and cons but for me more pros and like you say it's helped with our return to this level.

Smaller clubs like Airdrie and ourselves have to be proactive and creative when trying to compete in the championship. I have a lot of respect for Airdrie, their style of play, recruitment etc. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Got curious after that conversation with @Mr.Blue. We currently have or have had 21 players from consillium in the last 2 and bit years. Which is significantly more than 50% of their entire client base! 

Screenshot_20240725-151420~2.png

Screenshot_20240725-151429~3.png

Screenshot_20240725-151441~2.png

I’m sure Gabby McGill is/was on Consillium’s books too. As were Alex Henderson and the infamous Jay Riley. Can’t win ‘em all. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I’m sure Gabby McGill is/was on Consillium’s books too. As were Alex Henderson and the infamous Jay Riley. Can’t win ‘em all. 

I think you're right!

30 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I think you're right!

Apparently that was one of the issues with McGill he changed agents near the end of last season,  ironically Rhys never offered him a deal at all, would have thought somebody up here would have taken a punt on him,  last I heard he was trialling at Grimsby.

3 hours ago, ElDiamondo said:

I'd rather McGregor was 100% for next Saturday.  Maybe a chance to give Cooper a start and see how he does in that role?

Surely Mochrie has to get more game time,  he is a good bit behind the others fitness wise,  he was still in a moonboot less then 4 weeks ago apparently,  

McGregor has started the season well enough (don't buy into kickabouts) still far from convinced, he has raw pace, has he much else ....

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Surely Mochrie has to get more game time,  he is a good bit behind the others fitness wise,  he was still in a moonboot less then 4 weeks ago apparently,  

McGregor has started the season well enough (don't buy into kickabouts) still far from convinced, he has raw pace, has he much else ....

Yip not a bad shout, Mochrie or Cooper if McGregor isn't making it. Can see Janny back in for Rhys and will be interesting to see if Hancock plays, if there's any truth in the rumours he wouldn't be risked I assume.  Would like to see another strong team on Saturday to prepare for Raith

7 minutes ago, ElDiamondo said:

Yip not a bad shout, Mochrie or Cooper if McGregor isn't making it. Can see Janny back in for Rhys and will be interesting to see if Hancock plays, if there's any truth in the rumours he wouldn't be risked I assume.  Would like to see another strong team on Saturday to prepare for Raith

Yeah we definitely need the strongest team out on Saturday considering a win would almost guarantee us through to the next round

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think for me the worry is how much our style and recruitment is intrinsically tied to McCabe and Consillium. How much of that infrastructure or philosophy is really the club’s, as opposed to McCabe’s as an individual? Can’t fault the club for their last two managerial appointments, the support they’ve given McCabe and the infrastructural improvements made. And I would back them to get the next managerial appointment right. But in terms of recruitment and on the park business, is it embedded in a way that things can continue as they are, at least relatively, once McCabe goes? E.g. would we still get Andy Young scouting and recruiting players or does all of that go with McCabe? I think we are (hopefully) in a solid position on and off the park where we can continue to do well at this level when he does go and, on the face of it, Hetherington will give a manager time, support, freedom and resources within a budget. So I’m not going to worry about it just now, but it probably is something to think about.  

I'd imagine it would as when McCabe leaves and presumably moves up a level I can't see Consillium providing the quality of players to keep that relationship going, certainly not to the extent it is now, at his new club. When you look down the list of players it's mainly lower league quality players for the most part - albeit younger ones with an eye on playing at a higher level. Wherever he ends up McCabe will have a much wider pool of players to choose from plus a youth system providing suitable players which we don't provide, so I don't see how he could use the same structure. Even the link with Northern Ireland only really works with a Championship club due to the standard of their league, Consillium need a Championship club to take a chance on players like McStravick or Wilson to then sell-on, it's hard to see players like that going straight from NI to the Premiership.

I think it's been a perfect match so far as Consillium have the level of player that suits us, and we have the platform and manager to help them perform and get a move. I'd hope when McCabe goes we just replace the manager and the system stays roughly the same as it seems to be mutually beneficial at the moment.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I am hoping McGregor is not the new Ally Roy who had a pre season scoring goals and looked like he was going to be a superstar. Then he got injured and from the online stats he only ever scored 2 goals for us in over 30 games. I do remember his hat trick against us for Queen of the South a few years ago. He is now Dale Carrick's strike partner at Stirling and I was interested to see what kind of career he has had.

Looks like he has only ever scored 21 goals in over 200 appearances. So with the 2 for us and the 3 against us he has another 16 goals in his whole career as a striker. That has to be the worst stats ever.... unless someone knows different.

Lewis McGregor scored more for us in the one game against EK than he did in a season .

6 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I am hoping McGregor is not the new Ally Roy who had a pre season scoring goals and looked like he was going to be a superstar. Then he got injured and from the online stats he only ever scored 2 goals for us in over 30 games. I do remember his hat trick against us for Queen of the South a few years ago. He is now Dale Carrick's strike partner at Stirling and I was interested to see what kind of career he has had.

Looks like he has only ever scored 21 goals in over 200 appearances. So with the 2 for us and the 3 against us he has another 16 goals in his whole career as a striker. That has to be the worst stats ever.... unless someone knows different.

Lewis McGregor scored more for us in the one game against EK than he did in a season .

Ally Roy is quite literally the worst striker ever. Ever. God I can't stand him. 😂

42 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Ally Roy is quite literally the worst striker ever. Ever. God I can't stand him. 😂

I thought he was going to do the business for us.

However I also thought the same about Leighton McIntosh. So what do I know.