Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

35 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s not an exact science and communication isn’t the clubs top strength… but it would be class if we could get a full rundown of how long the injured players are expected to be out for.

Did Rhys not give a full update in his latest DTV interview?

1 hour ago, Diamond72 said:

Did Rhys not give a full update in his latest DTV interview?

From memory, not really:

McGregor - back in full training.

Aidan Wilson - 8 weeks.

McMaster - doesn't need an operation.

McStravick - ahead of schedule.

McCabe - nothing.

Watson - nothing

10 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

From memory, not really:

Aidan Wilson - 8 weeks.

McCabe - nothing.

Watson - nothing

Do you think ATS is simply making up numbers or do you think he will play again ,

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s not an exact science and communication isn’t the clubs top strength… but it would be class if we could get a full rundown of how long the injured players are expected to be out for.

I actually don't disagree with him being vague about the short term injuries as its potentially giving your opponent an advantage but long term injuries we could give an approximation.

19 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

From memory, not really:

Aidan Wilson - 8 weeks.

McCabe - nothing.

Watson - nothing

Gav Gal now added to list.

We are losing most of our goals through the ball getting nicked of the predictable feet and movement of someone running back towards our own goal and then having to try and turn. It is not hard during a game to watch what the collecting player does and then by the 60th minute have worked out how to steal the ball in a tackle.

If you look at match of the day a surprising number of the goals scored are exactly the same with the attacker stealing the ball of the slow defender in trouble then 2 passes and its in the goal.

What we need is a terrier that has the desire to get the ball off the defender and chases them and won't stop until they have worn their opponent out and got the ball off them or forced them in to a hurried pass. In the modern game that type of player is probably more valuable than a winger. That is why we have been losing to Ayr because they have that type of player. A headless chicken for 60 minutes just chasing down and upsetting the slow defenders. So what we need is a defender type to play in front of the midfield and nick the ball to create 2 goals a game.

55 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

We are losing most of our goals through the ball getting nicked of the predictable feet and movement of someone running back towards our own goal and then having to try and turn. It is not hard during a game to watch what the collecting player does and then by the 60th minute have worked out how to steal the ball in a tackle.

If you look at match of the day a surprising number of the goals scored are exactly the same with the attacker stealing the ball of the slow defender in trouble then 2 passes and its in the goal.

What we need is a terrier that has the desire to get the ball off the defender and chases them and won't stop until they have worn their opponent out and got the ball off them or forced them in to a hurried pass. In the modern game that type of player is probably more valuable than a winger. That is why we have been losing to Ayr because they have that type of player. A headless chicken for 60 minutes just chasing down and upsetting the slow defenders. So what we need is a defender type to play in front of the midfield and nick the ball to create 2 goals a game.

Got to say I didn't see any headless chickens playing for Ayr against us ,

3 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I was thinking this yesterday watching the Man Utd game. All 3 of Liverpool's goals (and their disallowed goal) looked very Airdrie-like. Giving the ball away cheaply in midfield as a result of teams pressing hard. I know we aren't up against the best pressing side in the world like Liverpool every week, but the idea that we can keep doing this all season and it be a net benefit seems highly unlikely when you see the problems that even teams at the top level face.

People can point to last season but firstly I'd say teams were not pressing us anything like they are this season. I think back to Gallagher's goal against Raith where we had 30 odd passes, Raith players were walking about putting no pressure on the ball and allowing us to just knock it about. Similar was McGregor's goal against Morton in the 1 nil game. Most teams were the same. However this season teams clearly have us sussed, are aggressively pressing us knowing that we will cough up possession. It was also Todorov coming in and going a bit more safe and direct that pushed us up the league, not our much talked about style of play.

We don't have the players to be passing balls into midfielders' feet facing their own goal under extreme pressing, as already shown numerous times this season by virtually every midfielder, it was Aiken's turn on Saturday but has been Mochrie, McGrattan and Agyemang previously. It's not a criticism of those players specifically, I'm not sure any players at this level are able to. When we are in the final third and on the front foot I think they have enough quality but the question is how do we get them in those positions more often, and without gifting the opposition goals in the process.

31 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I was thinking this yesterday watching the Man Utd game. All 3 of Liverpool's goals (and their disallowed goal) looked very Airdrie-like. Giving the ball away cheaply in midfield as a result of teams pressing hard. I know we aren't up against the best pressing side in the world like Liverpool every week, but the idea that we can keep doing this all season and it be a net benefit seems highly unlikely when you see the problems that even teams at the top level face.

People can point to last season but firstly I'd say teams were not pressing us anything like they are this season. I think back to Gallagher's goal against Raith where we had 30 odd passes, Raith players were walking about putting no pressure on the ball and allowing us to just knock it about. Similar was McGregor's goal against Morton in the 1 nil game. Most teams were the same. However this season teams clearly have us sussed, are aggressively pressing us knowing that we will cough up possession. It was also Todorov coming in and going a bit more safe and direct that pushed us up the league, not our much talked about style of play.

We don't have the players to be passing balls into midfielders' feet facing their own goal under extreme pressing, as already shown numerous times this season by virtually every midfielder, it was Aiken's turn on Saturday but has been Mochrie, McGrattan and Agyemang previously. It's not a criticism of those players specifically, I'm not sure any players at this level are able to. When we are in the final third and on the front foot I think they have enough quality but the question is how do we get them in those positions more often, and without gifting the opposition goals in the process.

Good points,   it's not just Airdrie that faces a high press, all teams tend to do it, this season,   a lot of it comes down to quality of passing, seems obvious..  When facing the high press against Raith, Rhys McCabe was pinging balls everywhere beating the press, he has the ability to do it,  McMaster, Gallagher, Aiken do not have the passing range and we tend to overplay it,  normally passing to a player with a closed stance,  last few games McGrattan, Aiken, McMaster,  when they are facing their own goal the options of ball retention  are limited...   I think it will come together but we might need to open the game up,  IMO we are a front foot team and will cause teams trouble,  we might have to sacrifice one of our midfielders for either Mochrie or McGregor. ..

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A very good post,saying it as it as you see it ,

1 hour ago, boost said:

does anyone know if there'll be a supporters bus going to Dumfries on saturday?

The new one from the West End Bar is going. Details on the Facebook group if you’re a member. 

‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.'”

It's the same goals we are losing over the past few weeks, opposition allow the defenders to play about and as soon as the pass goes into the midfielder it's pressed fast and hard forcing the error and overloading us.

Thankfully a few players showed some fight and in particular the ones off the bench to get us back into the game and an enforced system change made all the difference with the two two up top. 

Could be a massive point and hopefully the start of a better run of results again. 

We used to be good at the high press and stopping the other team from playing their game. How many times did we hear that the fancied team had an off day when it was us who had stopped them from playing. Gal, McGill, Telfer and Frizz were good at it and McStravick could nick the ball high up the park. But we don't seem to do it any more. Maybe it is something that the new team need more time on the training ground to develop a system that works all pressing quickly at once without leaving gaps. 

1 hour ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.'”

It's the same goals we are losing over the past few weeks, opposition allow the defenders to play about and as soon as the pass goes into the midfielder it's pressed fast and hard forcing the error and overloading us.

Thankfully a few players showed some fight and in particular the ones off the bench to get us back into the game and an enforced system change made all the difference with the two two up top. 

Could be a massive point and hopefully the start of a better run of results again. 

As everyone is aware, the manager does believe in retaining the ball in tight areas but its quite clear that he plays more long balls than anyone. It's all about choosing the right time to do it.

3 hours ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Indeed. Given Rhys has stuck to the same principles and style since he joined, I'd say promotion and 4th / play offs last season shows that it's worth doing the same things over and over again. 

Once we're back at full strength, I have every confidence that we'll see improved performances and us moving up the table. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

3 hours ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Agree Rocky, personally the only  set up change I would have , is what midfielder will drop out to play McGregor or preferably Mochrie,   at the moment we are getting caught recycling the ball too often with no real threat up top with Ben isolated as you say opposition push up on the high press forcing errors,  we need more space to let our players get on the front foot...

Also Rocky after all your excitement last week when the window fizzled out to nothing,  was there any last minute bids in or out...