Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I agree that Lewis McGregor could be our ace in the pack this season. He was showing signs of improvement towards the end of last season for example the goal against Raith Rovers at Starks Park. He has pace and a good first touch, just needs to add some consistency to his finishing. I am sure Rhys will have him working hard on this.

1 hour ago, Midlothian Diamond said:

I agree that Lewis McGregor could be our ace in the pack this season. He was showing signs of improvement towards the end of last season for example the goal against Raith Rovers at Starks Park. He has pace and a good first touch, just needs to add some consistency to his finishing. I am sure Rhys will have him working hard on this.

I was a serious doubter of McGregor but he improved greatly throughout last season, and of course his pace is a huge asset.

Think about what Rhys got our of Telfer, a middling season and then consistent improvement, McGregor is anything is in a better spot than CT was at the start of last season so a lot of potential there.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I was a serious doubter of McGregor but he improved greatly throughout last season, and of course his pace is a huge asset.

Don't see the hype regarding McGregor at all,  I put him down as in the "willing runner" category will he ever make it as a first pick,,  ???   He has pace to burn, can hit a ball, but he has no game nois,  positional sense,  defensive idea. He reminds me of Jordon Morton who had a lot of the same characteristics..

I would be very surprised if he makes the side ahead of Mochrie, Todorov, McGrattan  or any other forward player we have,  nothing against the lad, but a couple of goals in pre season doesn't change my opinion..

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Don't see the hype regarding McGregor at all,  I put him down as in the "willing runner" category will he ever make it as a first pick,,  ???   He has pace to burn, can hit a ball, but he has no game nois,  positional sense,  defensive idea. He reminds me of Jordon Morton who had a lot of the same characteristics..

I would be very surprised if he makes the side ahead of Mochrie, Todorov, McGrattan  or any other forward player we have,  nothing against the lad, but a couple of goals in pre season doesn't change my opinion..

No hype and not suggesting he'll start every week, just believe he's vastly improved since his arrival.

23 minutes ago, Passionate said:

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

No hype and not suggesting he'll start every week, just believe he's vastly improved since his arrival.

I'll pitch in and say I agree with you both.

McGregors a great sub to bring on against tiring defences or when chasing a goal, I personally just think he's too lightweight and wants to take that touch too much.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll pitch in and say I agree with you both.

McGregors a great sub to bring on against tiring defences or when chasing a goal, I personally just think he's too lightweight and wants to take that touch too much.

Pretty much my thoughts. Don't think I'd ever really start him, but a player like him is necessary in a squad to come on at certain times. Off the top of my head he scored against Abroath and Raith last season on a breakaway when we were already winning, which is exactly when I'd use him. He gives us an option to stretch tiring defences late on that someone like Todorov can't offer. I thought he changed the game when he came on in the Hamilton play-off final, not because he did anything particular with the ball, but just the fact he was able to run at players and commit them made such a difference.

Of course he shows more than that I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I still think at the very least he's worth a place in the squad.

Forgetting he's still only 20 years old, plenty time to develop. Thought he was a very useful sub at times last season, hopefully kicks on gets a few more goals this season.

19 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Forgetting he's still only 20 years old, plenty time to develop. Thought he was a very useful sub at times last season, hopefully kicks on gets a few more goals this season.

He reminded me of a better version of Phil Johnston when he first arrived. He made a massive difference when he came on in that second leg of the playoff final against Hamilton, he terrorised them up that left hand side. If he continues his goal scoring form, he will only gain confidence from that and we could have an absolute player on our hands this season! 

Wonder if the squad numbers reveal anything about how we will shape up, see McCabe is number 4 maybe meaning he sees himself playing, Hancock and McMaster both in what would be regarded as the starting 11 so maybe staying?

4 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Wonder if the squad numbers reveal anything about how we will shape up, see McCabe is number 4 maybe meaning he sees himself playing, Hancock and McMaster both in what would be regarded as the starting 11 so maybe staying?

Numbers were given out weeks ago, if there’s a good offer made for either of them the club will sell, by all means not under any pressure to but if it’s high end 5 figures or 6 figures they’ll be off.

4 hours ago, moses1924 said:

He was number 4 last season too and played some games in both positions so I wouldn’t read too much into that.

Another season beckons,   What can we achieve this season,  personally I think this will be McCabe's last stand ,  He looks to have signed well,  is it coincidence that a number of signings have came after the Bartlett sponsorship was announced..    interesting that a couple of players have came over from Ireland their does seem to be more 'value' in the Irish market...   Our squad numbers are good with a lot more options off the bench,    

The last time I was this positive about an Airdrie team was with Stephen Findlays lower league galacticos,  that didn't turn out well....

In saying that my fear for the EK and Dumbarton games coming up are we are a little bit undercooked for this tournament,  Time will tell..

Onwards and upwards