Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

10 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Think I might stay at home if McCabe and Watson are in the same defence ngl

midfield and attack I’d probably agree with though.

Yeh, either or in central defence for me. @Mr November mentioned that Easton will be a tough test for MacDonald, it would be even tougher for Watson methinks.

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh, either or in central defence for me. @Mr November mentioned that Easton will be a tough test for MacDonald, it would be even tougher for Watson methinks.

I take it all back, I could have played against Easton, he was absolute dug meat!

Good hard game today against a fairly limited Raith team,  apart from a 15 minute spell early on, they never really threatened,

Best for Airdrie were McCabe who I thought was outstanding, his passing vision and execution was top drawer and defended well also,  Aidan strolls it in his own way not conventional at times but effective,  Dylan McD who I have questioned stuck at it and got the goal,  to be honest everybody put on a heck of a shift,   if I am going to be critical Murray Johnson was quite jittery with the few things he had to do,   plenty to work on but a helluva positives to take out of it...

Shame on Ian Murray who put a clearly injured player back on with a hamstring injury cause he had spunked his subs with his crazy Murrayball,   Jack Hamilton should not have been expected to re-enter play when even a blind man could see he was done....

58 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Wilson could have scored a hat trick today. Hit the post, turn and stab at the end and the snap shot from McGrattan's pass. I'm not counting the one where he put Dycey on his arse.

Worry about McGregor again though Mochrie looked good for his few minutes.

I think that performance is what we can expect from Wilson. Not really involved in the game for long periods but so sharp when the ball comes near him, not sure he had any really clear chances but still could have scored a few.

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Shame on Ian Murray who put a clearly injured player back on with a hamstring injury cause he had spunked his subs with his crazy Murrayball,

Why couldn’t Raith bring on another sub?

32 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Well he was at the game today so aye, I think he saw it. 

Aye? Didn't realise that, was working today so couldn't even watch online

After years of not being able to post due to not remembering my password, I’m delighted to be posting about how pleasured I feel this evening. A long journey to watch a new diamond’s team have a fairly controlled 1-0 win. I feel especially pleasured by Dylan Macdonald geting man of the match after Easton’s petulant shit housery and goal. 
watching Murray’s desperate attempts to use human arms to fly added to my pleasure. 

2 hours ago, Ann Diamond said:

After years of not being able to post due to not remembering my password, I’m delighted to be posting about how pleasured I feel this evening. A long journey to watch a new diamond’s team have a fairly controlled 1-0 win. I feel especially pleasured by Dylan Macdonald geting man of the match after Easton’s petulant shit housery and goal. 
watching Murray’s desperate attempts to use human arms to fly added to my pleasure. 

Certainly worth a watch ,great result ,some really good football ,agree manager had some game,best long ball passing  I have seen for a long time ,proud to be a diamond♦️♦️♦️

Was really pleased with the physicality we showed today. It was a very physical game, from both teams, with plenty of strong tackles and while we have a team of young, technically good footballers, they certainly showed they can battle when they need to.

Brilliant to keep a clean sheet too. Our defensive record was so important to our success last season, it’s a much younger defence this year and while they weren’t really threatened it’s a good habit to pick up.

There’s still loads we need to improve on but for an opening game, have to be happy with that.

Full credit to MacDonald.  I think I wasn't alone in wondering if he'd be able to handle Easton as well as Megwa did last season, and he absolutely did.  20 years old and was playing Edinburgh Uni and Cumbernauld Colts last year, and he had Easton in his back pocket.  Would have been a good shout for MOTM even without the goal, I think.  Of course, it's tough, tough league, and you won't win many games unless most of your players are really on the ball, so you could make a case for some others, too.  Obviously very, very early to say this, but he scored today, did brilliantly in the play for the goal up at Aberdeen... might he even be an upgrade on Megwa?  Seems absurd to even think of that given how good Megwa was for us last season, but his weakness was a relative lack of end product for his play going forward, and that that doesn't seem to be an issue for MacDonald.

Enjoyed that today, as @Mr Novembersays still some work to do on the squad and could do with another couple of loan players if possible but cant fault the team. Thought Rhys played very well today and if we can keep hold of Hancock that would be a huge boost for the season ahead. Could be a very tight league this season so important to get off to a good start. As for Raith, they will need to play much better than that,  didn't partake in the booing of Fordyce as I think he would have stayed under different circumstances, didnt think any of the former diamonds did much in the game. Nice to see (I think) Josh Rae at the game. 

10 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Enjoyed that today, as @Mr Novembersays still some work to do on the squad and could do with another couple of loan players if possible but cant fault the team. Thought Rhys played very well today and if we can keep hold of Hancock that would be a huge boost for the season ahead. Could be a very tight league this season so important to get off to a good start. As for Raith, they will need to play much better than that,  didn't partake in the booing of Fordyce as I think he would have stayed under different circumstances, didnt think any of the former diamonds did much in the game. Nice to see (I think) Josh Rae at the game. 

Rae and Megwa were both in hospitality.

I didn't boo Dicey either.  He served Airdrie well and was a really big part of the club's turnaround, and he deserves respect for that.  I didn't applaud him either, because when you come back in in the colours of another team I don't think it's the time for that.  Happy to applaud former players if they're back visiting, or in a friendly, or something like that, but that's just me.  Doesn't bother me one way or the other if others boo or clap.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

6 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I didn't boo Dicey either.  He served Airdrie well and was a really big part of the club's turnaround, and he deserves respect for us. 

The best way to get one over on former players is not to boo them, or acknowledge them. It’s to beat them when we have the chance.

Dylan Easton, Callum Smith and Ian Murray are all very well versed in losing to Airdrie. I’m sure Dycey will be on the same page as them soon.