Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's the one.

The type of thing that should never be a penalty of course, but often is these days.  It was certainly worth a shout and a check.  I think the fact that it reared up off his knee was decisive.

I promise you though, that loads of the posters on here would adopt a completely opposite view to that they've taken, if it happened at the other end.  It's amazing that some can't see or accept that.

That incident is not, and never remotely was, a penalty. Referee guidance even clarifies they cant give it if it comes off another part of the body first.

The Hendry incident was damned lucky. It was more of a penalty than the one they got. The 'handball' claim was never ever worth considering and if the ref had somehow given it VAR would have, quite rightly, overturned it.

Even a draw would have represented daylight robbery.

A win was outrageous.

It really wouldnt. I'm not sure we watched the same game. We didnt play particularly well, Norway were the better side, but they werent miles ahead. They had a couple of good chances other than the penalty. Gunn's not made a save of note all game. The penalty was marginally against the run of play at the time I'd have said. Robertson had just had that run along their by-line and their keeper had fumbled a McGinn shot from range. I was just starting to think we might nick something when the penalty arrived.

I know this, which is why I said that very thing a few posts back.

It was a close call though, and much of the bleating on here at the time missed that point.  

It wasnt a close call. Its simply not a penalty.

I dont even think, given the position of his arm, that is a penalty if it hits it direct, but rearing up off his leg it never is.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The downside of the Firesticks when watching a game you’re invested in, I heard my neighbour cheering for the Dykes goal a good 2 minutes before he scored on my TV which slightly ruined the moment as I knew the goal was coming. 60 seconds later I heard him cheering even louder and I genuinely assumed he was celebrating a replay of the same Dykes goal, so when McLean slid that ball in to the net it came as a complete surprise. How good is it that Scotland are now a team that do things like that to other nations? That absolutely sickening feeling that all Scotland fans know so well, is now something we dish out to semi-competent teams like Norway. 

I know this, which is why I said that very thing a few posts back.

It was a close call though, and much of the bleating on here at the time missed that point.  

It wasn't a close call though, there's literally rules in place that stipulate that it wouldn't have been a penalty, if a penalty was awarded it would've been overturned by VAR. 

You're better than this MT, learn the rules. 

16 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

So you're saying that most people on here don't think it was a penalty but if it had happened at the other end, they would have thought it was a penalty? You might be correct, but that's absolutely not a position reached from a point of objectivity. You're completely making up a scenario and then being smug about people being wrong in your hypothetical scenario.

Welcome to P&B!

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's the one.

The type of thing that should never be a penalty of course, but often is these days.  It was certainly worth a shout and a check.  I think the fact that it reared up off his knee was decisive.

I promise you though, that loads of the posters on here would adopt a completely opposite view to that they've taken, if it happened at the other end.  It's amazing that some can't see or accept that.

Yes, the fact that it came off his knee was decisive. That’s the point. I wouldn’t have been claiming for it if it had been at the other end because I know the rules. Just because other folk might not know the rules, doesn’t mean we were lucky to avoid a penalty 🤣.

Unless of course the folk who didn’t know the rules were both the ref and the VAR folk. 

15 hours ago, Donathan said:

This thread is fast becoming rather tedious 

Agreed.

I’m relatively new to this forum, so I’m going to come to the conclusion that MT is one of 3 things:-

1. Totally at it

2. Knows nothing about football.

3. A weirdo.

It bothers me not one jot which of the above is the correct answer, as they all prevent me from engaging any further.

👍👍

I'm only just watching the full game now as I was at my nephew's birthday party during the game so could only follow the score on my phone. 

Half an hour down and the only thing resembling a chance for Norway was a header by Sorloth that went straight at Gunn. They've dominated the ball but our low block was so compact to prevent them creating much. Absolutely no idea what @Monkey Tennis was watching unless the second half was significantly worse.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I'm only just watching the full game now as I was at my nephew's birthday party during the game so could only follow the score on my phone. 

Half an hour down and the only thing resembling a chance for Norway was a header by Sorloth that went straight at Gunn. They've dominated the ball but our low block was so compact to prevent them creating much. Absolutely no idea what @Monkey Tennis was watching unless the second half was significantly worse.

Don’t worry mate, it wasn’t. 

Jack Hendry a wee bit lucky to stay on the park in the 40th minute. Would have been a harsh sending off but we'd have been appealing for a red at the other end.

Sort of foul that there should be an intermediate level card with 10 minute sin bin for IMO

I know referees shouldn't really think this way and should assess every individual decision on it's own merit, but I think there's something to the idea that some refs think several little half hearted penalty shouts adds up to one penalty. After the Porteous handball and the Hendry tussle with Haaland, the next one was always going to be given.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm basing it on the fact that until the very late stage of the equaliser, I couldnt, for the life of me, see us getting anything.  It felt like we'd sneaked an unlikely looking point, having not really threatened at all.

To score again immediately was wonderful, but crazy.

Agreed !

Their defence did seem to be flagging a bit ( the heat ) though.

SSC foresaw this

20 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

A very enjoyable listen, here ye go...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fvty0p?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Another thing to factor in about how good that win was, and how the performance was not terrible, is that almost all or our squad haven't kicked a ball competitively for at least 3 weeks. Their best player just played in the Champions League final last week, and their domestic based players are right in the middle of their season. That should've been a massive advantage for them.

Our training camp was a help then

In fact Hendry was incredibly lucky not to get sent off in this game. Not only was his last man take down on Haaland either a softish red or a fairly lenient yellow (with the ref choosing the latter), the incident in the second half where he appeared to hold Haaland’s arm could easily have been a second yellow whether or not it was adjudged to be inside the penalty box. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I know referees shouldn't really think this way and should assess every individual decision on it's own merit, but I think there's something to the idea that some refs think several little half hearted penalty shouts adds up to one penalty. After the Porteous handball and the Hendry tussle with Haaland, the next one was always going to be given.

As unwritten rules go, it's probably not a bad one.

Porteous should have probably seen in the tea leaves that a pen was imminent - but then he was also a victim of Robertson's only mistake, in an otherwise exemplary performance, due to allowing the cross come in too easily and giving Haaland the space and momentum to play Ryan at his own game of buying a spot kick.

On 18/06/2023 at 17:26, parsforlife said:

What 2?  And beyond them who else? 

At the level you're at,  teams will have largely scots with a couple of exceptions

Go up a couple of levels and the opposite will be the case 

Which I'm suggesting is not good for development,  ie barely any scots playing in the top flight 

21 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I genuinely have no idea what the first “penalty shout” was. Haaland had a hold of Hendry’s shirt for the second. The penalty was an example of us being unlucky. 

You definitely can’t be using examples of bookings our players should have got, given we got numerous ridiculous ones while Norway got away with literally everything. 

At least we agree on the fantastic point!

Our bookings - maybe one was ridiculous , no more

Michael said Super John's should not have been one after saying S.J. knew what he was doing after leaving one on him

Just now, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Our bookings - maybe one was ridiculous , no more

Michael said Super John's should not have been one after saying S.J. knew what he was doing after leaving one on him

McGinn lightly clipped someone, it was the softest booking imaginable. There were numerous worse challenges from Norway, which didn’t lead to a booking - and occasionally not even a free kick.