Group F - Killie, Raith, Pars, Annan, Albion Rovers

TxRover

Hamilton suspended and Hosler injured leaves us a bit short for the opening games of the group stage, potentially some bodies missing from the back line with niggles but hopefully they will all be okay.

41 minutes ago, 101 said:

Hamilton suspended and Hosler injured leaves us a bit short for the opening games of the group stage, potentially some bodies missing from the back line with niggles but hopefully they will all be okay.

I think everyone will be in the same boat. We’ve been more active than most in the window so far but Murray stated he is still looking to add 3 more, centre back in particular is badly needed. Similarly pre season schedules are always going to result in a few niggly injuries.

Think we will definitely be without Ross Matthews, Scott Brown, Aidan Connolly and Ethan Ross. Ross Millen and Dylan Corr missed our last game but will hopefully be back and Jack Hamilton is likely to start on the bench due to missing a lot of pre season.

It would be nice to win on Saturday, obviously, but I don’t think we can read too much into either sides season based on this one. 

I see this as the pre-season cup so has as little excitement for me as the challenge cup. I'm not bothering to go for that reason, the fact my travel would be a pain in the arse with road closures near me, and I can see us getting pumped.

Edited by Heaton

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Is this the least anticipated derby for a while? I remember a few years back we played in the Challenge Cup (might have been the game that was rained off after the biblical downpour?) and even that had more chat around it despite also being very early in the season.

I'd definitely say so. I'm looking forward to it but it's not exactly got the buzz (or dread) you want after having a few league games under your belt. It feels very much like both sides are still trying to get reinforcements in.

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

ticket sales looking poor across the board, no really a surprise. I do think the group stage has had its day.

Group stage will hang around a while longer, especially as long as tv cash keeps it going, which it didn't have last time it died but yeah,  Its losing its novelty fast. 

For the derby I reckon we line up

mehmet

comrie fisher bene breen edwards

chalmers  otoo

Todd O'halloran

Wighton

The deep midfielders are not ideal especially being 2 left footers but I think its important we have a natural DM for this and with hamilton out otoo is the only option and playing allan over chalmers doesn't make sense.    Only other thought is to give McCann the 2nd AM slot alongside todd. 

It's not as though attendances were sky high when the group stage started, it's a bit of a hybrid between friendlies and competitive football, and is never going to capture the attention the way league games do.

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's not as though attendances were sky high when the group stage started, it's a bit of a hybrid between friendlies and competitive football, and is never going to capture the attention the way league games do.

pros and cons about the group stage.

It's extra cash in the door. In yesteryear we used to get a half decent English club coming for a friendly but it was still sub 2000 attendances. Sunderland, Blackburn, portsmouth 10+ years or so ago.

The group stage gets higher attendances and a bit of competitive football ahead of the first game of the season.  Also gives a chance of a couple away days you'd not normally get. 

Issue is they're partly treated as pre-season games to get players up to speed which can cost you progress in the cup. 

12 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I wonder if they've ever given any thought to scheduling all the Second v Third Seed games on the last match day. The way these groups work, it's by far the game most likely to still have stakes on it, if you schedule it that way, no? 

I think there is a general formula for where games are played but the TV games will always be given priority and therefore the games will be ordered to suit the tv schedule who want to try and spread the biggest games across the schedule 

I Think the fact it's on Tele brings the crowd down a fair bit.Whilst most will save money on tickets and travel and watch it at home, others will obviously sit in the pub. Had it been a Saturday 3pm kick off as normal probably adding 300/400 at least on both sides. could also factor in the fact the first league game is hardly ages away either 

I'm watching from home but will be heading along for the league games. Hope pars can get a result but I can't see it tbh

The Group Stage is purely theatre to allow more possible income via games for the involved sides. Previous to the Group Stages, the League One/Two teams could expect perhaps two games, the Championship sides similarity might see two, but in both cases it was likely a small draw side for the first match that allowed the advance. With Group Stages, you get an assured four matches, all with somewhat reasonable possible attendance and ticket income sharing. The European entrants are considered to have enough income from that to not miss the pittance from the Group Stage.

Unless they find a way to dole out more money, the Group Stage is here to stay, IMO.

Cowdenbeath certainly were disadvantaged last season with this cup - since trialists aren't allowed they had to sign a whole squad of players just for the groups essentially, then released almost all of them at various points of the season as they weren't good enough and wete able to get replacements in either permanently or on loan from SPFL clubs. I get why the groups are early (fits in with BT, then Premier, now Viaplay and their schedule, avoids clashes with European games to allow TV broadcast, etc) but it is a bit of a shame it's so early.