Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

Incredibly pleased with all this chat about how impossible it'll be to get flights when I can, worst case, just jump on a string of domestic trains and get there for 25 euro.

So long as Clarke doesn't get caught in the next thunderstorm and replaced by fucking Levein again, after Cyprus this becomes a matter of challenging for top seed. I only very dimly remember the days before qualification rested on getting results against various bankrupt ex-Soviet states and failing miserably. What a time to be alive.

I booked a flight to frankfurt for the Friday morning of the first game at the weekend. Plan is to get a camper van and just drive where required. Haven’t got a flight home yet as will see where will end up. Also haven’t told the mrs yet but can worry about that later. With two young kids, a week might be a big ask but time will tell. 

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

I'd be very surprised if we don't do it now, but 99% seems ludicrously high?

If we beat Cyprus then 99% looks fair enough. If we don't, we have two very tough fixtures and Norway have three winnable games (Georgia and Spain at home, Cyprus away) to close or overcome the gap before the final game. You'd fancy Spain to win their other games. Surely that scenario isn't 1 in 100.

22 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Plan on taking the van over, crashing in the back of it with absolutely no expectations of getting tickets.

This! 

We will have a convoy of 2, told my boss this morning (south of the wall) who just laughed. I'm taking that as a yes for the whole trip to the final 🤣

38 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I'd be very surprised if we don't do it now, but 99% seems ludicrously high?

If we beat Cyprus then 99% looks fair enough. If we don't, we have two very tough fixtures and Norway have three winnable games (Georgia and Spain at home, Cyprus away) to close or overcome the gap before the final game. You'd fancy Spain to win their other games. Surely that scenario isn't 1 in 100.

The models will price in the very high likelihood of us beating Cyprus.

The 99% will fall significantly if we don’t win in Cyprus but probably won’t rise very much at all if we do (not that it has much room to rise, but 98.9% probably just become 99.0% or 99.1% if we win that game)

Effectively the model itself is probably baking in a c.95% chance that we’ll win in Cyprus. 

Edited by Donathan

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The models will price in the very high likelihood of us beating Cyprus.

The 99% will fall significantly if we don’t win in Cyprus but probably won’t rise very much at all if we do (not that it has much room to rise, but 98.9% probably just become 99.0% or 99.1% if we win that game)

Effectively the model itself is probably baking in a c.95% chance that we’ll win in Cyprus. 

We absolutely should win that game, but I'm not sure we take all 3 points 19 times out of 20, especially considering it'll likely be in 30-degree heat.

3 minutes ago, DC92 said:

We absolutely should win that game, but I'm not sure we take all 3 points 19 times out of 20, especially considering it'll likely be in 30-degree heat.

It likely won't be anywhere near 30 degree heat, we're kicking off at 9.45pm local time.

3 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It likely won't be anywhere near 30 degree heat, we're kicking off at 9.45pm local time.

26 degrees at 10pm today. I’m not sure how late June compares to early September but it’s going to be hot.

I still fancy us to win quite easily though. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Plan on taking the van over, crashing in the back of it with absolutely no expectations of getting tickets.

Same. Newcastle to Amsterdam or Hull to Rotterdam. Seems you can’t book more than 6 months in advance. If only someone would get their finger out and get a few ferries sailing from Rosyth.

5 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Where are people booking flights this early? Lufthansa?

What will be the best way to get tickets for people with no SSC points if Scotland qualify? Splashing out for hospitality...? Or will there be another way? Ticket resales maybe?

UEFA sell their own ‘neutral’ tickets, so you’d have a good chance of getting them that way. 

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/ticketing/

9 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Where are people booking flights this early? Lufthansa?

What will be the best way to get tickets for people with no SSC points if Scotland qualify? Splashing out for hospitality...? Or will there be another way? Ticket resales maybe?

UEFA put a huge number of tickets on ballot to the general public (around 40% of the capacity for each game I think). They have them available before and after the teams are known so there’ll be an avenue there.

For an idea of Scotland's official allocation (if we make it, I still can't do any of these types of posts without saying if) here's what Wales got for euro 2016, although all 3 were increased later on and were smaller to begin with.

v Slovakia 8,969 in Bordeaux (42,155 capacity)
v England 5,202 in Lens (38,223)      
v Russia 7,002 in Toulouse (33,150)

Really for an increased allocation you want to avoid teams that will also bring a big support or one with a lot of neutral interest so there's less corporates.

There was a massive thread on here for the euro 2020 ballot pre-COVID and before we even knew Scotland had qualified and a fair number of people got Hampden games through the ballot before it was re-done with reduced capacity so I think people will have a decent chance of tickets even if not in the supporters club.