Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Good move for him, be interesting to see if he can still scores goals at that level. Given decent service, I suspect he can.

If he has the service he will, I actually thought they may have signed him last season. Maybe they did try and got outbid.....

On 27/09/2023 at 20:06, berwicksfinest said:

So can someone enlighten the southerner.

The Club finances are down the crapper, the players that were actually any good told, thanks but no thanks, the 3 year plan has followed the club finances down the crapper

SO what now, have we now resigned ourselves to lowland league existence permanently, as long as the 11 players on the pitch are cheap, so much the better.

Obviously we're  not going to be challenging this year, so what of next year, and as mentioned above, even when there is some cash to splash, such is the toxic nature of the way this was handled we'd be lucky to sign stevie wonder !!!

I see the Berwick lottery has started, but what is the plan to make me part with my hard earned ?? ................ well, earned!!!!

Would think the bigger question would be if the club is going to be ok long term. 

On 08/10/2023 at 21:11, lowenan said:

Would think the bigger question would be if the club is going to be ok long term. 

No reason to think the club won't be OK long term. Crowds, sponsorship, general interest in the club is better than nearly everyone else in the Lowland League. 

Took a while to get the real info, but (I think!), the 3-year spending spree (i.e. a player budget well above our normal income levels)  was never a gamble with the club's future. Funding was in place, but for it to continue after 3 years, required some sort of on field success that would generate its own extra income.

That bit failed miserably, and now we must revert to a player budget that matches income, rather than exceeding it. 

Meanwhile, I understand that Lewis Baker was ill at the weekend and Lewis Allan has some issues that should rightly remain personal and confidential. 

On 10/10/2023 at 21:39, Redcar said:

No reason to think the club won't be OK long term. Crowds, sponsorship, general interest in the club is better than nearly everyone else in the Lowland League. 

Took a while to get the real info, but (I think!), the 3-year spending spree (i.e. a player budget well above our normal income levels)  was never a gamble with the club's future. Funding was in place, but for it to continue after 3 years, required some sort of on field success that would generate its own extra income.

That bit failed miserably, and now we must revert to a player budget that matches income, rather than exceeding it. 

Meanwhile, I understand that Lewis Baker was ill at the weekend and Lewis Allan has some issues that should rightly remain personal and confidential. 

And why did it fail? Because the ever changing board were way too ambitious sticking with a mate. The manager stuck with the same inept squad and then everyone blamed everybody else for the same old failings. It isn’t much different to the whole Harvey situation where instead of booting the manager, and his head in sand beliefs, they presided over signing players ( for two years at a time)who are miles from good enough. Nothing personal but the current signing anything under twenty hasn’t worked for Malcolm in the past and it won’t work now. My fear is SM lost the dressing room weeks back. We actually don’t have a senior striker. WTF?

Off field The club may survive but in what shape? Berwick & Tweedmouth Rangers.? We may be watching amateur football sooner than you would wish. 

I was at Olivebank today as an interested neutral.  Musselburgh fully deserved their win after having the better of a fairly lacklustre first half of few chances. In the second half the home side continued to look the bigger threat and created the majority of the chances. Some poor finishing and three or four good stops from the Berwick keeper prevented Mussy winning in normal time.

Berwick threatened briefly at the start and end of the second half and created the odd chance in ET, but were totally reliant on hitting on the break. I thought that Lewis Baker did well after coming on as a sub.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I was at Olivebank today as an interested neutral.  Musselburgh fully deserved their win after having the better of a fairly lacklustre first half of few chances. In the second half the home side continued to look the bigger threat and created the majority of the chances. Some poor finishing and three or four good stops from the Berwick keeper prevented Mussy winning in normal time.

Berwick threatened briefly at the start and end of the second half and created the odd chance in ET, but were totally reliant on hitting on the break. I thought that Lewis Baker did well after coming on as a sub.

You are right that Musselburgh deserved to win. We played with a young inexperienced side, and many of them played well, but we had absolutely no plan of attack. 

Baker only looked good because he is a forward, and we didn't have one before he came on. Reliant on the break? Don't think so. We were bereft of any attacking ideas other than some individual fluke. The tactics were pathetic and have been for many weeks. 

Edited by Redcar

Last season was full of promise, but was derailed immediately by a terrible 6-0 defeat by Hearts B. This season - already 99% knackered - has the curtains drawn with the same result. 

Stuart Malcolm failed miserably with a highly paid experienced squad, and is now doing the same with some talented but raw youngsters. 3rd worst manager in our history, after Jimmy Thomson and Johnny Harvey. Commendably, he works hard and works cheap, but his teams and his tactics are pish. 

Hope someone keeps this thread going - see you at the end of this hopeless season.

Edited by Redcar