Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

Guess at that point they have to pay a significant premium on wages to attract the players needed for a serious promotion push and that's what proved unsustainable so unless they find a sugar daddy they may have found their level at this point. The LL is going to be a much stronger division that it is now in another decade or so and the EoS premier is still a very reasonable standard not drastically far off League Two. Being outside the SPFL isn't the end of the world in other words. Think what has been noticeable is that none of the clubs that have been relegated through the Club 42 playoff have had their home support drift away to any huge extent.

We have a decent level of support and train in Edinburgh. A few players may not fancy a coach trip down the A1 every other week, but I think that issue is overstated. In short, our income is good enough to allow us to be at a comfortable level in the LL. We have lost this season to 2 EoSL teams and we should be better than that. 

Right now, we are in freefall, with barely enough players to raise a team for the next match. Frustratingly for the fans, there is no further communication from the Board even to it's Club 1881 fans. Maybe they are working hard to turn things round, or maybe they are sat on their fat arses eating free sandwiches. We have no idea. 

Tam Scobbie may well be the man to start building a decent new team. First, he needs to find some new players, then after the next few matches leading up to New Year, we'll see if he is indeed turning things in the right direction. I'm certainly not abandoning all hope, though right now being a Berwick fan is pretty embarrassing.

As for those highlights, Jesus H. Our long range shooting is abysmal, we constantly give the ball away for no apparent reason, their 2nd goal was an abomination (giving the corner away was ridiculous, then Kyle Baker was as alert as a dead sloth), and we now know why Harris has never tackled anyone before. 

• 2 weeks later...

That worked out well for Stuart Malcolm, eh? 

From manager of Lowland League club, to 1st team coach and manager elect of a Championship club, to caretaker manager of that Championship club, to .....feck all.

All in the space of 6 weeks.

14 minutes ago, Redcar said:

That worked out well for Stuart Malcolm, eh? 

From manager of Lowland League club, to 1st team coach and manager elect of a Championship club, to caretaker manager of that Championship club, to .....feck all.

All in the space of 6 weeks.

I don’t think there was ever any danger of him getting the managers job at the Smokies.

9 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I don’t think there was ever any danger of him getting the managers job at the Smokies.

I agree that there wasn't any chance once Campbell was sacked (or stormed off in a huff), but there was every chance once Campbell retired at the end of this season,  which was probably the theory all along. 

20 hours ago, Redcar said:

I agree that there wasn't any chance once Campbell was sacked (or stormed off in a huff), but there was every chance once Campbell retired at the end of this season,  which was probably the theory all along. 

Aye I suppose he could have been earmarked for the future.

On 20/11/2023 at 12:13, Redcar said:

We have a decent level of support and train in Edinburgh. A few players may not fancy a coach trip down the A1 every other week, but I think that issue is overstated. In short, our income is good enough to allow us to be at a comfortable level in the LL. We have lost this season to 2 EoSL teams and we should be better than that. 

Right now, we are in freefall, with barely enough players to raise a team for the next match. Frustratingly for the fans, there is no further communication from the Board even to it's Club 1881 fans. Maybe they are working hard to turn things round, or maybe they are sat on their fat arses eating free sandwiches. We have no idea. 

Tam Scobbie may well be the man to start building a decent new team. First, he needs to find some new players, then after the next few matches leading up to New Year, we'll see if he is indeed turning things in the right direction. I'm certainly not abandoning all hope, though right now being a Berwick fan is pretty embarrassing.

As for those highlights, Jesus H. Our long range shooting is abysmal, we constantly give the ball away for no apparent reason, their 2nd goal was an abomination (giving the corner away was ridiculous, then Kyle Baker was as alert as a dead sloth), and we now know why Harris has never tackled anyone before. 

I've been sitting contemplating responding to this since first read the message a few weeks ago. I can't see why replying would get me into bother with the club but I certainly hope it doesn't. I'm sure its quite easy to work out who I am from my name but if not I'm James Cumming the newly appointed Chief Scout. Like you say don't abandon all hope, there is a lot of people working extremely hard in the background to turn things around. A little update on the scouting side of things I have around 15 volunteers working for me attending games when they can. We all have other jobs, personal lives and aren't being paid hence the large number. This is to try and get at least a few scouts to games every week. I keep an eye on the pie and bovril page every now and again so feel free to drop me a message anytime.

6 minutes ago, JCScouting said:

I've been sitting contemplating responding to this since first read the message a few weeks ago. I can't see why replying would get me into bother with the club but I certainly hope it doesn't. I'm sure its quite easy to work out who I am from my name but if not I'm James Cumming the newly appointed Chief Scout. Like you say don't abandon all hope, there is a lot of people working extremely hard in the background to turn things around. A little update on the scouting side of things I have around 15 volunteers working for me attending games when they can. We all have other jobs, personal lives and aren't being paid hence the large number. This is to try and get at least a few scouts to games every week. I keep an eye on the pie and bovril page every now and again so feel free to drop me a message anytime.

HIya JC

Its good to hear something is happening, there seems to be precious little else coming out of the Club. 

As I have previously said, down sarf here, there seems to be absolutely no news from the higher echelons, on present and future plans, aspirations etc, and i have emailed the club shop with 0 reply. it kinda leaves you with an attitude of why should I bother!!

Match days, now, I find myself actively avoiding the looking at the result, listening to commentary. even looking to work !!! Nothing inspires me to make the 560 round trip to Shielfield. 

So anything coming out of Shielfield is welcome

59 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

HIya JC

Its good to hear something is happening, there seems to be precious little else coming out of the Club. 

As I have previously said, down sarf here, there seems to be absolutely no news from the higher echelons, on present and future plans, aspirations etc, and i have emailed the club shop with 0 reply. it kinda leaves you with an attitude of why should I bother!!

Match days, now, I find myself actively avoiding the looking at the result, listening to commentary. even looking to work !!! Nothing inspires me to make the 560 round trip to Shielfield. 

So anything coming out of Shielfield is welcome

Nice to meet you,

I'll happily post what I can here and there about the scouting network if I'm allowed, obviously wont be posting about targets or signings as that will come from the club. I can try and chase up the email to the club shop for you. Don't know if I can be much help but I'll certainly mention it to someone. I myself have found since coming into the role my phone is never out my hand always something to do.

Hoping for a good result this weekend against Edinburgh Uni if the games on and same for getting our scouts out to games weather dependent. 

4 hours ago, JCScouting said:

Thanks for this measured, honest and welcome response.

For my part, I don't see much point in coming on this thread and being all positive and bubbly when we keep losing! I'll do that when I see some improvement and when we get a decent display and 3 points. 

That doesn't mean to say I'm a perennial moaner or keyboard warrior, it just reflects my views as a fan on the day I post it. At the start of this season, I said in here that I thought we might win the league!!!! That went well ....!

The club is in a bad way - probably worse than any time in my 44 years watching (though we did get locked out of Shielfield Park and almost went bust once). But, I know that good work goes on behind the scenes and I hope you find some young players -  1st to help Tam Scobbie, and 2nd hopefully to find some raw talent that might make us a few Bob further down the line 

Good luck mate, and thanks for your post. Hope the club can be a bit more open and honest via social media, too. 

Will be there on Saturday (2 days of dry weather is forecast, so hopefully the pitch will be fine). It's a bit of a 'must win' really, and I hope we'll see a decent display - then I can say something nice on here!

20 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Thanks for this measured, honest and welcome response.

For my part, I don't see much point in coming on this thread and being all positive and bubbly when we keep losing! I'll do that when I see some improvement and when we get a decent display and 3 points. 

That doesn't mean to say I'm a perennial moaner or keyboard warrior, it just reflects my views as a fan on the day I post it. At the start of this season, I said in here that I thought we might win the league!!!! That went well ....!

The club is in a bad way - probably worse than any time in my 44 years watching (though we did get locked out of Shielfield Park and almost went bust once). But, I know that good work goes on behind the scenes and I hope you find some young players -  1st to help Tam Scobbie, and 2nd hopefully to find some raw talent that might make us a few Bob further down the line 

Good luck mate, and thanks for your post. Hope the club can be a bit more open and honest via social media, too. 

Will be there on Saturday (2 days of dry weather is forecast, so hopefully the pitch will be fine). It's a bit of a 'must win' really, and I hope we'll see a decent display - then I can say something nice on here!

Not a problem. I'm happy to respond when I can. I will quickly say that anything I say are my own personal views and don't represent the club's views, just in case I say something wrong or offend anyone by mistake.

That's completely fair. I wouldn't expect any football fan to be all positive when the team they support hasn't had results go their way.

I'm a bit too young to remember any days like being locked out of Shielfield. Here's hoping we find some great players to strengthen the squad.

Thank you. I won't be at the game this weekend. I'm nightshift, followed by a few hours of sleep before a live game to watch a few targets, followed by another nightshift. Fingers crossed the boys get 3 points this weekend. Looking forward to your nice post after we do 😂.

All the best

JC

13 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

So this is what a win feels like ............. off for a lay down now

Aye  - feels a bit weird.

OK, it was against Edinburgh Uni, and Antell pulled off one wonder save, but the win was fully deserved. Could have been 4 or more.

Several injuries and 2 suspensions too, but the returning Jamie Stevenson absolutely bossed the game. Small signs of spring, but we need to win a couple more before the end of the year. 

Pleased for everyone who has put in lots of hard work since our season turned upside down. 

Statement from the club about Berwick's finances tonight. 

Sensible stuff about costs not exceeding income as we go forward.  Budget for next year will be better than most in the Lowland League, purely because our income streams (crowds, sponsorship, match day hospitality etc) is better than most in the league. 

Was critical about communication from our Board, so this is welcome clarification from them. 

I agree, at last communication from the board, its was sorely needed.

Trouble with me though, I receieved a similar email from my employer, and again its all about what we need to do, It would be nice to see a more detail heavy. 

But it will be all academic come next season, if things not improve as we may not have the cushion of Gretna and Edinburgh Uni