Northern Ireland Football League 2023/24

On 25/06/2023 at 14:38, jagfox said:

Any other clubs following Larne's big spending strategy?

I'm not sure there's been as much big spending as previously seen. It's still early but teams playing in Europe need sorted as much as possible before chasing the filthy lucre.  (I'm still traumatised from the last hour of football I watched last season and consequently can't muster a lot of enthusiasm)

Watched it on tele. Looked an OK performance, and  Baxter spoke well of it afterwards. Heading home this week and starting to look forward to poxy European match. I'm starting to feel positive about my big and wee teams  coming season. Hope springs eternal no matter how old I am. (What a turnaround from Saturday)

Edited by hatchetman
Forgot

• 2 weeks later...

Decent set of European results all round. Larne still in with a chance, Blues should be through and Glens and Crues both in a strong position. Crusaders really should have won last night. Phil who scored for fun last season, missed a few great chances. It's a committed  band of fans who make these away games. I struggle to get past Ballymena nowadays. Looking forward to Seaview next week.

4 hours ago, hatchetman said:

Decent set of European results all round. Larne still in with a chance, Blues should be through and Glens and Crues both in a strong position. Crusaders really should have won last night. Phil who scored for fun last season, missed a few great chances. It's a committed  band of fans who make these away games. I struggle to get past Ballymena nowadays. Looking forward to Seaview next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66196666

Reports

Tense game at Seaview last night. Good win in the end. Heatley's magic. Looks like a bit of strength in depth this season, so we may feature more prominently in the league. Well played Linfield. (can't believe I said that) Bad luck Larne. I've some sympathy for Glens fans, who must have felt the circus would move on this season.

Another great night at Seaview. Playing a team with that European history and feeling hard done by. I tend not to analyse football, but Crusaders are playing such a disciplined and hard working shape. Every player working like a Trojan for each other, and well timed substitutes by the management team. We go out there not out of it. Larne and Linfield both look like goners. In relation to Jagfox's question above, Larne have found the money for the league's best left back, and Glentoran have signed one of the league's best midfielders. Albeit without a fee. This season looks really interesting, and I'm going to miss a lot of it.

How disappointing was that. Stood toe to toe and came so close. Down to ten men and still weren't out of it. Some debate over the red card. I thought the ref was right (based on one live viewing) but I'm open to other views. Despite my earlier scepticism I've enjoyed Europe. Linfield appear to have redeemed themselves a bit, but Larne took another hiding. A real learning curve for them. That's it for the Irish League. Well done Derry. Back to bread and butter although I'm in Scotland for a period.

Dungannon Swifts get an unlikely draw at Inver Park, coming back from 4-1 down against Larne, in Rodney McAree's first match back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66431377

Goals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66438680

Edited by Jacksgranda