Northern Ireland Football League 2023/24

On 11/02/2024 at 14:19, Andy groundhopper said:

Throwing this one in, how easy is it to go from scot to ireland, and get to games using public transport etc ? Just if i have blank days to find a game ⚽

Depends how long you've got. If you're only here for a day you might be just confined to Belfast, which is easy to get around using public transport.

Assuming you've arrived in Belfast, there is a train service from Belfast to Ballymena, and the bus and train station are next door to each other, wouldn't be hard to get to the Showgrounds by bus, although you could walk it. Don't know the time of the last train back, but I'm sure it would be after 5.30.

Coleraine's ground is a 5 minute walk from the train station, again don't know when the last train back to Belfast is, but it would be after 5.

There is also a train service to Londonderry (same service as goes to Ballymena & Coleraine), Institute in the Championship  play at Derry City's ground on the other side of the Foyle, you might have to take 2 buses to get to the Brandywell, might be quicker walking.

Lisburn, Portadown, Lurgan, Larne , Bangor and Ards are all connected to Belfast by rail (although as Ards play in Bangor, there's really not a lot of point in going there...), no idea how far their grounds are from the station and what the bus links would be like.

Buses will get you to Ballyclare and Dungannon, last one back - anybody's guess.

Newry is on the main Belfast - Dublin line, again don't know about buses to the ground.

However, none of those towns are that big, and, with the exception of Distillery (Lisburn) and Dungannon the grounds are in the towns, well, Larne's not exactly central.

As long as you weren't flying back (assuming you're flying) the same night as the match you should have no bother getting a game in, maybe two if you've a long weekend.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Depends how long you've got. If you're only here for a day you might be just confined to Belfast, which is easy to get around using public transport.

Assuming you've arrived in Belfast, there is a train service from Belfast to Ballymena, and the bus and train station are next door to each other, wouldn't be hard to get to the Showgrounds by bus, although you could walk it. Don't know the time of the last train back, but I'm sure it would be after 5.30.

Coleraine's ground is a 5 minute walk from the train station, again don't know when the last train back to Belfast is, but it would be after 5.

There is also a train service to Londonderry (same service as goes to Ballymena & Coleraine), Institute in the Championship  play at Derry City's ground on the other side of the Foyle, you might have to take 2 buses to get to the Brandywell, might be quicker walking.

Lisburn, Portadown, Lurgan, Larne , Bangor and Ards are all connected to Belfast by rail (although as Ards play in Bangor, there's really not a lot of point in going there...), no idea how far their grounds are from the station and what the bus links would be like.

Buses will get you to Ballyclare and Dungannon, last one back - anybody's guess.

Newry is on the main Belfast - Dublin line, again don't know about buses to the ground.

However, none of those towns are that big, and, with the exception of Distillery (Lisburn) and Dungannon the grounds are in the towns, well, Larne's not exactly central.

As long as you weren't flying back (assuming you're flying) the same night as the match you should have no bother getting a game in, maybe two if you've a long weekend.

Londonderry........edgy

lol

That's laugh out loud, just in case Brother.

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There's actually a bus which will get you there in 2 hours, and gets you to the right side of the bridge, last one back is 11 pm

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 11/02/2024 at 14:19, Andy groundhopper said:

Throwing this one in, how easy is it to go from scot to ireland, and get to games using public transport etc ? Just if i have blank days to find a game ⚽

Went over a few weeks ago with my son.

Flew from Edinburgh to Belfast at 7.30am then got the bus to the city centre. Had breakfast and wandered about until opening time.

Walked out to Falls Road then Shankhill Road and then on to Cliftonville's ground for the game v Ballymena.

Uber back to the airport and flew back at 7.30pm.

Easy to do and will definitely do it again, had there been a lunchtime kick off nearby we would've tried to get to that as well.

38 minutes ago, centralTon said:

Went over a few weeks ago with my son.

Flew from Edinburgh to Belfast at 7.30am then got the bus to the city centre. Had breakfast and wandered about until opening time.

Walked out to Falls Road then Shankhill Road and then on to Cliftonville's ground for the game v Ballymena.

Uber back to the airport and flew back at 7.30pm.

Easy to do and will definitely do it again, had there been a lunchtime kick off nearby we would've tried to get to that as well.

Note for the next time cT - it's Shankill Road - @PossilYM will no doubt be on soon, giving me pelters...

Aye, if you have only a day and stick to Belfast you could easily take in a B Division game and an Irish Premiership one on the same day, I would imagine.

11 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Or go on the Friday and stay the night.

Take in a Women's game.

Never on Sunday lol

Derry City play on a Sunday.

1 minute ago, PossilYM said:

Nice one.

Never knew they'd been let back in the Northern League.

Nobody mentioned the Northern League. If @Andy groundhopper is over for a long weekend he could take in games in 2 different jurisdictions for the sake of a  2 hour bus journey, is all.

Coleraine in a quite amazing 3-0 win over Linfield, first victory over the Blues in 2 years. Second goal was a bit iffy, but I'll take it! Great watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68322872

And takeover complete - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68317228

We shall see how this pans out, at least they are not strangers to Coleraine.

Larne, Cliftonville, Glentoran, Carrick and Crusaders win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68325775

1-0 to Larne at the Ballymena Showgrounds puts them top. 4-2 to Cliftonville at Solitude over Glenavon puts them second. Glentoran, after getting pegged back twice after being 2 up, looked like they wouldn't hold onto a lead again after Newry made it 1-1 at the Oval. However, the Glens decided enough was enough and ran out 8-2 winners. Crusaders won 1-0 at Loughgall and Carrick won at Taylors Avenue against Dungannon.

Top Larne P 29 Pts 70, second Cliftonville P 29 Pts 67, third Linfield P 29 Pts 66. Glentoran are fourth, 17 points behind the Blues (but they do have a game in hand :lol:)

Bottom Newry City P 29 Pts 14, eleventh Ballymenna United P 29 Pts 19, tenth Dungannon Swifts P 29 Pts 28. They look safe.

I heard yesterday that Dundela, the likely Chanpionship winners, haven't applied for their top flight licence, and so the bottom team will play off for the Premiership spot with the second placed Championship team (assuming they've applied for the licence.) Seems strange, and don't know if it's true or not, but it looks like no automatic relegation this season.

Goals/highlights.  Ballymena v Larne https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68328971

Cliftonville v Glenavon  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68328969

Glentoran V Newry City  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68328967

Loughgall v Crusaders  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68328976

Carrick v Dungannon  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68328973

Edited by Jacksgranda

12 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Resounding away win

3-horse race for the title with Glentoran a distant 4th.

Thoroughly enjoyable match, Linfield well worth their win, although they were maybe a wee bit fortunate with their second goal.

The ref tried to let the game flow, but he maybe made a mistake with that incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68355620

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Thoroughly enjoyable match, Linfield well worth their win, although they were maybe a wee bit fortunate with their second goal.

The ref tried to let the game flow, but he maybe made a mistake with that incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/68355620

I used to sometimes watch the highlights after Final Score on a Saturday but I think BBC N.I stopped doing the 25 minute round-up.

Thanks for the BBC links

8 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I used to sometimes watch the highlights after Final Score on a Saturday but I think BBC N.I stopped doing the 25 minute round-up.

Thanks for the BBC links

Pleased that somebody is actually watching them! :lol: