League 2 Predictions 23/24

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 01/08/2023 at 15:25, EdinburghBlue said:

There’s been a lot of statistical research showing that the average ‘scores’ of a large group can often be a really good estimate. So, based on 1 point for a forecast of first, two for second etc, the league should finish:

1. Dumbarton

2. Stenhousemuir 

3. Forfar

4. East Fife

5. Peterhead

6. Stranraer 

7. Spartans

8. Bonnyrigg 

9. Clyde

10. Elgin City

But some of the rankings were close. You have no doubt that Elgin will be bottom, well behind Clyde. Bonnyrigg should be comfortably eighth. Not much separates Peterhead, Stranraer and Spartans. Ditto Stenhousemuir, Forfar and East Fife. Dumbarton are comfortably ahead on average. All of your top four were predicted winners by at least one contributor. Similarly, your bottom four were all predicted to finish last by at least one contributor. The team with the biggest discrepancy between the highest and lowest predictions is unsurprisingly Spartans, with a second and some tenth forecasts.

With every club now having played at least 18 games it's a good time to have an interim review of our predictions. 

1. Dumbarton - 4th (-3 positions compared to our average prediction)

2. Stenhousemuir - 1st (+1)

3. Forfar - 8th (-5)

4. East Fife - 7th (-3)

5. Peterhead - 2nd (+3)

6. Stranraer - 6th (=)

7. Spartans - 3rd (+4)

8. Bonnyrigg - 5th (+3)

9. Clyde - 10th (-1)

10. Elgin City - 9th (+1)

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

With every club now having played at least 18 games it's a good time to have an interim review of our predictions. 

1. Dumbarton - 4th (-3 positions compared to our average prediction)

2. Stenhousemuir - 1st (+1)

3. Forfar - 8th (-5)

4. East Fife - 7th (-3)

5. Peterhead - 2nd (+3)

6. Stranraer - 6th (=)

7. Spartans - 3rd (+4)

8. Bonnyrigg - 5th (+3)

9. Clyde - 10th (-1)

10. Elgin City - 9th (+1)

Stranraer doing us all proud by being as average as we had all hoped.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 27/06/2023 at 13:09, Jack Phillips said:

1 - Dumbarton

2 - Stenhousemuir

3 - Forfar Athletic

4 - East Fife

5 - Peterhead

6 - Clyde

7 - Bonnyrigg Rose

8 - Stranraer

9 - Spartans 

10 - Elgin

Still early days and I will probs do an updated version closer to the start of the season when the squads are finalised but think Dumbartons squad is too strong and are defos favourites for the title, as long as they don't nose dive again. Stenny, Forfar and East Fife have added good quality and will do well I imagine. Peterhead always seem to do well when in league 2 so will not write them off and signing Conner Duthie from us and Joe Mckee from Dumbarton they look like they are constructing a good team. As for Clyde it's very hard to predict where we will finish, our signings don't fill me with much hope but I think if we add 2 more decent signings in attack we might be able to challange for playoffs but us signing 2 good players is a massive ask. I can't see anyone else but Elgin finishing bottom, with them not signing anyone yet and losing Kane Hester it looks to be a tough season for them. 

Interesting looking back at the predictions after the league has finished. Massively overestimated Clyde, and underestimated Spartans. 😆

Edited by Jack Phillips

On 27/06/2023 at 18:27, SLClyde said:

I don’t see us pushing a play off, but also don’t see us being quite as bad as 9th. I think on current squads we should be looking to be better than Elgin, Bonnyrigg and Stranraer. Won’t post a prediction table until nearer august. 

Well at least I was half right with Clyde.