West Development League Cup 2023

There are 3 teams from the region involved in the new West Development League. Starts off with League Cup on Friday 4th August. Get yerself along to support the future players. Hopefully as pathway development grows more clubs will join up.

Annan Athletic, Lochar Thistle and Threave Rovers are in Section 1 with Lanark United.

Fixture Details can be found at https://www.wosfdl.com/index.html 

In menu select Competitions then Player Data League Cup. Click on team name for fixtures.

Can also see which Conference each will be participating in.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

• 4 weeks later...

The Development League Cup Sections start on Friday 4th August.

We have 2 teams from the South, Lochar Thistle and Threave Rovers. Originally Annan Athletic were included but are now absent. No idea as to why.

Anyways let's support our local youngsters.

IMG_20230731_225559.thumb.jpg.cac8e93fab57a41cf137ba6b8b19fd32.jpg

3 hours ago, The Spectator said:

I've watched the Threave 20s a couple of times recently and they have the makings of a very good side.

It looks like the club have a good pathway from the youngest age groups right through to first team level which is great to see.

Where are Threave playing there home matches?

21 minutes ago, The Spectator said:

They've been playing at Meadow Park when there's no clash with the first team. I'd assume it'll be Birkland if they can't get Meadow.

From what I was told at Gretna game all matches will be at Meadow. The league matches are on a Fri Night so floodlights will be required.

6 hours ago, The Spectator said:

I've watched the Threave 20s a couple of times recently and they have the makings of a very good side.

It looks like the club have a good pathway from the youngest age groups right through to first team level which is great to see.

It's great to see across the pyramid. Having a 20's side allows the clubs to bring the boys in for league games with no pressure giving them greater experience. 

The boy Rinaldi was with the first team for a number of pre's. 

Again I know numbers are an issue but would be great if some other South clubs could go down this road.  

I'm sure Newton Stewart at some point last season mentioned it. Over up the NS boys.

Friday night games so floodlights needed. I see some of the teams in the league just seem to play at High School or Sport centre astros. Good luck to Threave if they are using Meadow.

Remember back in time when it was the BP Youth Cup all the local SFA members teams entered a team, Dalbeattie played Glasgow Rangers at Dalbeattie on a cold December day if i remember correctly

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

It's great to see across the pyramid. Having a 20's side allows the clubs to bring the boys in for league games with no pressure giving them greater experience. 

The boy Rinaldi was with the first team for a number of pre's. 

Again I know numbers are an issue but would be great if some other South clubs could go down this road.  

I'm sure Newton Stewart at some point last season mentioned it. Over up the NS boys.

They had three of the young boys in the squad for their friendly at Newton. Also seen mention of boys from the 17s getting game time with the 20s.

Encouraging for youngsters to see a clear route to the 'big' team because they are willing to give them a chance.

2 hours ago, Sermani said:

Friday night games so floodlights needed. I see some of the teams in the league just seem to play at High School or Sport centre astros. Good luck to Threave if they are using Meadow.

Remember back in time when it was the BP Youth Cup all the local SFA members teams entered a team, Dalbeattie played Glasgow Rangers at Dalbeattie on a cold December day if i remember correctly

I was at Islecroft tonite and was wondering why Star don't have a 20's team in the this setup. Surely it would reap it's own rewards.

The word is that Threave have struggled to get a let for Friday night anywhere, been told they have tried all  floodlit astris from KBT to Dumfries but no joy.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

11 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I was at Islecroft tonite and was wondering why Star don't have a 20's team in the this setup. Surely it would reap it's own rewards.

The word is that Threave have struggled to get a let for Friday night anywhere, been told they have tried all  floodlit astris from KBT to Dumfries but no joy.

The youth team from Dalbeattie are relatively 'new' in the grand scheme of things and are essentially separate from the senior side. Threave have done a lot of work developing that relationship between the two setups in recent years 

There's an obvious change of strategy from Star with a view to fielding local side again now that they are back in the South. Hopefully that means the link to the youth side is developed, I'm sure Star could reap the rewards in years to come.

5 minutes ago, The Spectator said:

The youth team from Dalbeattie are relatively 'new' in the grand scheme of things and are essentially separate from the senior side. Threave have done a lot of work developing that relationship between the two setups in recent years 

There's an obvious change of strategy from Star with a view to fielding local side again now that they are back in the South. Hopefully that means the link to the youth side is developed, I'm sure Star could reap the rewards in years to come.

Totally agree Lochar had a 20's team last season in the West setup and playing that level of quality week in week out is a benefit for the whole club.

The whole setup at Threave from top to bottom is so professional now. The feedback from the West clubs who have played and visited Meadow has been positive.

Also talking to fans and officials at Meadow they are enthralled at being part of the West set up and are positive about their future in it. Wherever that leads them.

17 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Like everything else today, running an U'20's team would not be cheap, transport, Ref costs, possible pitch hire and as you say Threave are struggling to get a pitch hire. Limited player availability, work, leaving area for study or employment plus that age might be hormonal for some of them ( drink and women/men). Annan withdrew, Mids have been in it but no longer. Maybe you should have asked a Star official last night!

just out of interest how many Astros are there in the area?  2 in the Stewartry, 2 in Wigtownshire, Lockerbie, Annan,  3 in Dfs ( does St. Joe's fit the criteria? King George?)

6 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Like everything else today, running an U'20's team would not be cheap, transport, Ref costs, possible pitch hire and as you say Threave are struggling to get a pitch hire. Limited player availability, work, leaving area for study or employment plus that age might be hormonal for some of them ( drink and women/men). Annan withdrew, Mids have been in it but no longer. Maybe you should have asked a Star official last night!

just out of interest how many Astros are there in the area?  2 in the Stewartry, 2 in Wigtownshire, Lockerbie, Annan,  3 in Dfs ( does St. Joe's fit the criteria? King George?)

Do you know only thought about it when I got home and read yours and @The Spectator posts.

I was a youth coach for a few decades up in the rough part of Scotland and am painfully aware of the costs. Backpacking at Asda was my personal fundraising favourite.

The main benefit is having access to a pool of young local talent. There are a number of West clubs who have signed up their 20's. What a number of clubs do is become aligned with a local youth club which usually results in the youths taking on the name of the senior club. But as you rightly point out if the cost is too prohibitive the club can't just wade in. Along with the successes there are plenty of 20's who have had to fold. 

Like everything in life there isn't a solution that suits all, sometimes a work around is required.

Do you now I'm so glad I started this thread. Never for a moment imagined anyone would post other than myself.

It shows again there is an appetite in the D&G for all things football. 

Anyone who is at a game please post all nonsense is welcome.

Would be good to have some in depth about the players and their development.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Like everything in life there isn't a solution that suits all, sometimes a work around is required.

Very true. Away back in the day when you finished Youth football, if you were really good you went to an SOS team, if not you could play Saturday Amateur or Sunday League. At 16 that toughened you up.  You quite often done what was easiest without a car or driving licence, plus the rules were different then, you could sign for 2 teams and play saturday and sunday. People develop at a different rate, eventually everybody found there own level. 

Now the Saturday amateurs, Stewartry and Wigtownshire sunday leagues are gone, At one time these would of consisted of 30 plus teams, with a lot of teenage boys wanting to make a step up. Hopefully these u20 teams will fill that gap. If i was 16 now i would probably buy a set of golf clubs

1 hour ago, Sermani said:

Very true. Away back in the day when you finished Youth football, if you were really good you went to an SOS team, if not you could play Saturday Amateur or Sunday League. At 16 that toughened you up.  You quite often done what was easiest without a car or driving licence, plus the rules were different then, you could sign for 2 teams and play saturday and sunday. People develop at a different rate, eventually everybody found there own level. 

Now the Saturday amateurs, Stewartry and Wigtownshire sunday leagues are gone, At one time these would of consisted of 30 plus teams, with a lot of teenage boys wanting to make a step up. Hopefully these u20 teams will fill that gap. If i was 16 now i would probably buy a set of golf clubs

I feel the senior clubs need to be proactive in this and invite any local youth clubs at u17 level for informal chats. 

Nothing may come of it, but you never know.

League Cup Group 1.

Lanark U20s 1
Threave U20s 1
(Lanark win 4-2 on pens)

Connor Whalen scored to make it 1-1 with about 20 mins to go. A good encounter for the boys to show them the standard that they will be up against this season ⚫⚪