Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

16 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Grant was an idiot. Those two calls didn't match up, true, but tonight this boy just treated the two teams differently.

I mid years ago after we played Feyenoord Paul Hartley saying we had to start cheating in Europe because our opponents always did and referees rewarded it. Definitely an element of being smart.

I've concluded after pained experience that not every referee in Europe can favour the other team. It's not like Scotland with our Grand Masonic [Order of Walfrid] Lodge of Referees.

Therefore after years of seeing us get the same decisions against us time and time again, I concluded that we are just not being smart enough about something wrt playing the referees.

Edited by Stylish Kid

16 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I’d blame the Head Coach rather than the Technical Director.

The bonus about getting humped out of Europe is that we'll be able to dispense with the whole McAvoy carry on.

I bet Wee Budgie asks them to spin the façade out for a few weeks, just for show.

filth-movie-ending-explained.jpg

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The bonus about getting humped out of Europe is that we'll be able to dispense with the whole McAvoy carry on.

I bet Wee Budgie asks them to spin the façade out for a few weeks, just for show.

filth-movie-ending-explained.jpg

I'm not sure that's the case. I think we have to string it out until Naismith can enroll on the pro-licence course (January?).

Based on the last couple of games, Rosenborg will sit deep and look to hit on the break through Nypan and Nelson, while we'll pass the ball slowly and unthreateningly between defence and midfield.

You'd hope the atmosphere will naturally raise the tempo and I'm not sure Rosenborg are as defensively solid as Killie, although they are definitely more threatening on the counter and we'll be chasing the game from the start.

Rowles has been fine defensively but he's been one of the main culprits for slow buildup. I'd be tempted to put Kingsley in his position since he's better at bringing the ball out and should be better at executing quick switches out to Oda on the right.

Midfield also needs a rethink. Haring would be the one guaranteed starter but it looks like he might be out with an ankle injury. If Grant is available I'd be tempted to play him and Devlin and hope they can recreate their Zurich performance last season (without the cheating obvs). Nieuwenhof would be an obvious choice but the fact he didn't feature on Sunday suggests he won't play.

Hopefully Boyce is ready to start. He's looked good in his cameos and their defence didn't enjoy playing against him and Shankland last week. Tagawa to come on later on when the game is stretched.

Overall, definitely a winnable tie but we've made it a lot harder for ourselves after the first half last week. Time for Naismith to show some tactical acumen please.

12 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Don't know much about the current form of either team at this point in the season, but I'll quite happily say... come on Jambos!

Hearts have played two games in the same league Rangers are in, shouldn't take too much effort to check our form.

On 11/08/2023 at 17:13, DC92 said:

I'm not sure that's the case. I think we have to string it out until Naismith can enroll on the pro-licence course (January?).

You don't need a pro licence for domestic football in Scotland, just for European competitions.

Looks like we only have 153 seats left.  Bearing in mind you would expect everyone who has bought a ticket for this match to attend, this will be a really big crowd under the floodlights. 

If we can get off to a good start the place will be jumping.

Capture.thumb.JPG.ea3b1d3721572fca91b67aa61999484e.JPG

6 hours ago, TheDon99 said:

Feel like Hearts are due a big European performance at Tynecastle. Admittedly the opposition was a lot better but I just felt the team never got close to rising to the occasion against Istanbul, Fiorentina and Zurich last year.

Hearts more than rose to the occasion against Zurich, started excellently. Then Grant got himself sent off.

Honking against Istanbul and Fiorentina, but they were much better teams.

18 hours ago, TheDon99 said:

Feel like Hearts are due a big European performance at Tynecastle. Admittedly the opposition was a lot better but I just felt the team never got close to rising to the occasion against Istanbul, Fiorentina and Zurich last year.

Zurich was a really good performance and a tie we should have won.

By the group stages we were missing a lot of important players, and that made what was always going to be a tough task more or less impossible. You can't play a team from Serie A missing the spine of your team and expect to give them a good game.

As @DC92 said, Rowles has been fine at his "day job", but doesn't offer much in terms of alternatives - Kingsley and Sibbick can step out or play passes. I'd actually go with Sibbick as he could offer pace to counter their counter (assuming he doesn't get caught up the park in one of his McPherson-esque moves up the pitch).

Midfield is hard and I'm aware of Harry Cochrane syndrome, but perhaps Denholm has earned a place in the middle of the park?

5 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Team news.

20230817_185431.thumb.jpg.f9983e1181d4e1a2163b35975962e9c4.jpg

A 19 year old who couldn't get a start at East Fife in ahead of a £200k player who has yet to play in his proper position, meanwhile a left-back starts on the wing. What is Frances McAvoy cooking?

5 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I think BBC have fucked it? Isn’t Cochrane a left (wing) back? 757B891B-46B7-4520-95EE-4953A2CCE192.thumb.jpeg.6e326851003e54849c355a25a52dbdb9.jpeg

Nah, a lot of folk speculated it would be a Kingsley-Cochrane combo.

I suspect this is it as McAvoy was talking about getting crosses in, and that's what Kingsley does