Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Thought Hearts played alright against a pretty decent team, but can't see them getting anything out of it next week. The decision to put Lowry on cost them a lot, he's simply not up to this and someone like Oda or even Halliday or Forrest would have at least kept the intensity up down that side.

Looks like someone constantly trying to add to a YouTube highlight reel.

7 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Looks like someone constantly trying to add to a YouTube highlight reel.

I've been struggling to find a description of what I saw and this is it! Thanks!

I thought we deserved at least a draw, possibly even a win. We could still progress but it will be hard.  I thought that almost everyone on maroon had a good game with the exception of Lowry, Rowles (first 15 mins), and Atkinson*. The Cochrane experiment was o.k. but I feel that Denholm or even Sibbick in there would have seen a couple of passes forward that Cochrane missed.

In general though, really proud of everyone 

*I actually thought Atkinson made some great blocks, tackles and was defensively good when going up against an attacker. My issue is that his positioning is becoming a real problem. There's definitely a thing the team hae worked on about letting go forward then cover. Fine. But sometimes he is caught horrendously out of position 

43 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hearts are more than good enough to win the tie.

The main issue will probably be keeping the head. Some of them were getting wound up last night, at home. Can only see PAOK behaving worse at home.

They are going to be disgusting at home. Especially if Hearts are still right in the tie as it progresses. The sort of 'performance' that make you want to chuck the whole sport as a spectator.

Like that time Hearts visited TFS on Boxing Day in 2009 or so, and cheated their way in a mindmelting fashion to a 1-0 win. Or the LC game in 1989 when they threw themselves around so much that 3 Falkirk players got sent off.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

They are going to be disgusting at home. Especially if Hearts are still right in the tie as it progresses. The sort of 'performance' that make you want to chuck the whole sport as a spectator.

Like that time Hearts visited TFS on Boxing Day in 2009 or so, and cheated their way in a mindmelting fashion to a 1-0 win. Or the LC game in 1989 when they threw themselves around so much that 3 Falkirk players got sent off.

Hahaha.

I have always been of the opinion that teams can act how they please, it's up to the ref to keep them within the rules.

Doesn't stop me having a heads gone when Liam Kelly makes a routine catch, drops to his knees, before falling flat. Two minutes in.

10 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Agree, I thought even with the goal being cut off it'd lift the crowd but it went very flat.

Thought we played pretty well but it was like we just couldn't get any momentum at all..go 1 up, immediately concede. Get the goal cut off and we were on top, concede.

Boyce was excellent,  as were Shankland and Vargas. Feels like we are a central midfielder away from being a very good domestic team.

Tie isn't over, but its a huge task. They are a good team but they look like they will give up chances so we have to be clinical when they come and try to apply a bit pressure.

Fine margins, as they say.

Thought Hearts played pretty well without ever being convincing. The Shankland "goal" was a sliding doors moment.

There's a bit of hope for over there, although I'm braced for a hammering. 

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hearts are more than good enough to win the tie.

The main issue will probably be keeping the head. Some of them were getting wound up last night, at home. Can only see PAOK behaving worse at home.

I agree they are not out of it, but also unfortunately that PAOK will behave even worse over there...and likely get away with it. That ref last night just looked out of his depth.

...although I'd love to see one of the Hearts mob kick the tattoos off that little shit-stirring dick Brandon...

We played ok last night, but I wasn't feeling it. 

Too many mistakes - when you're making mistakes, I often think you're being pressured into it by better players.

I thought they were a wee bit better than us, and 2-1 was about right. 

Antonio/Johnny Vargas was good, but we didn't make enough of him. 

Boyce was very good.

Having said that, I didn't think PAOK were brilliant, and we should go there thinking we can get something if we give ourselves our best shot.

We can give ourselves a chance by starting with the strongest XI.

I think Offiah and Sibbick should have started ahead of Atkinson and Cochrane/Kingsley.

In the coming games, the question has to be whether Offiah starts ahead of Atkinson or Rowles. 

I'm more than happy that Naismith is getting a shot, but he's making his mistakes where everyone can see them rather than at a lower level - I reckon he can probably take it. 

Edited by paranoid android

Keep seeing comments like this and other threads on how “Scottish Clubs don’t do well in Europe “

Personally I think a lot of this is to you with the amount of fucking negativity displayed by supporters before the game which is tbh is a Scottish trait .

Many of the comments on this thread had us defeated last night before a ball was kicked .

They were no great shakes and like I said earlier , imo a weaker team that Rosenborg.

Far too many sweetie wrapper rustling cnuts at the football these days who don’t get behind their team and are too interested in sooking through their pack of Weathers Originals instead of voicing their support .

Negativity breeds negativity and this  was apparent in some parts of the game last night when the crowd went totally flat 

Last night, Hearts frustrated me to the point that I was ready to accuse them of 'bottling' it but in reality it was just a smash and grab. Unfortunately, PAOK will likely have too much for Hearts next week but they absolutely battered them at times last night and played really well just lacked that killer instinct. Hard one to take.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Last night, Hearts frustrated me to the point that I was ready to accuse them of 'bottling' it but in reality it was just a smash and grab. Unfortunately, PAOK will likely have too much for Hearts next week but they absolutely battered them at times last night and played really well just lacked that killer instinct. Hard one to take.

Who battered who ?

16 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Keep seeing comments like this and other threads on how “Scottish Clubs don’t do well in Europe “

Personally I think a lot of this is to you with the amount of fucking negativity displayed by supporters before the game which is tbh is a Scottish trait .

Many of the comments on this thread had us defeated last night before a ball was kicked .

They were no great shakes and like I said earlier , imo a weaker team that Rosenborg.

Far too many sweetie wrapper rustling cnuts at the football these days who don’t get behind their team and are too interested in sooking through their pack of Weathers Originals instead of voicing their support .

Negativity breeds negativity and this  was apparent in some parts of the game last night when the crowd went totally flat 

Guess what? We suffered a defeat at home. I had hoped my prediction would be wrong, but regrettably, the expected outcome became reality.

Typically, the crowd's response is shaped by the events on the field. On that note, I was just as enthusiastic and supportive as anyone, maintaining a positive attitude.  It's important to note that my viewpoints, even if critical, don't affect how I rally behind the team on the day of the match.