Morton v Ayr - Opening Day 2023/2024

13 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

I agree that we deserved the victory, particularly for the 2nd half/last half hour performance.

I felt Ayr were the better side for a large part of the first half, particularly at the start and leading up to the goal. After that you seemed to fold in, almost.

Maybe we were just a wee bit more shite, or Ayr had a wee bit of quality. Although our ability to find our way back into games after falling behind is arguably the best in the league; it won us lots of points last season and has even happened twice this year. Ayr didn't seem to cope, at all.

Perfect storm

For about 3 years we have scored a goal and then immediately conceded or conceded and then conceded another. 
We scored against Alloa last week and shat our pants, for 5 minutes we couldn’t control or pass a football. 
Happened so many times. If Morton are the nemesis of that then it was always going to happen today. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

I didn’t say he was a bad manger, I just said he looks thick as f**k

Being serious for a moment… that kind of thing really gets on my tits. Imrie is a very smart guy, believe me, knows his job and the environment he works in inside out, but folk like you are ready to jump to certain conclusions… because of the way he talks/looks?!

The definition of cringe.

I have to say Morton fully deserved that. So many of our new players looked either unfit or shite. The new boy at full back just couldn’t control a football. Amarty was a passenger. Rose although he didn’t get that long was poor. McGeady just looks done. Unless things improve considerably it’s going to be a long hard season.

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

We always play better with Crawford in behind the striker so he can lead the pressing and it's no surprise that we became massively more effective when Muirhead was  moved out right and Crawford moved forward. Power for Quitongo could have been seen as a defensive sub but it was a masterstroke.

Imrie mentioned it twice in his post-match… wonder if it’ll cure him of the desire to start both Oakley and Muirhead and maybe make them fight it out for the no. 9 slot?

2 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

I usually am but wasn't there today so for those who were, from what Dougie, and others have said Lewis McGrattan was very good today. Have we unearthed our new right back? 

No. We are still on the lookout for a natural first choice right back (should one become available).

But when running with a small squad and versatility being key, it's great to discover that existing members of the squad are even more versatile then we thought.

That's O'Connor, Blues and now McGrattan all deputised at right back and proved capable.

Once again, vindication that whilst risky, Dougie's approach of waiting as long as it takes for the right player is sound - especially when you see that both Ayr and Morton have been searching for one all summer and we continue to hold our nerve, whilst Ayr shat it on the eve of the league starting and bussed in a ringer.

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I don’t get the abuse of Imrie and the Morton team. They were up for it today and throughly deserved that victory. Apart from the first 20 minutes and our goal we were gash.

Morton more than deserved the win, we were a terrible example of an association football team.

These things don’t make Dougie Imrie look physically more intelligent. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Morton more than deserved the win, we were a terrible example of an association football team.

But he has managed to get a limited squad competing well in this league, so fair fucks to him

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Who cares if he looks intelligent? 

Ian McCall used to cut about looking like your alcoholic uncle at a kids birthday party and did okay. 

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

But he has managed to get a limited squad competing well in this league, so fair fucks to him

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Who cares if he looks intelligent? 

Ian McCall used to cut about looking like your alcoholic uncle at a kids birthday party and did okay. 

Morton fans apparently.

I work with a few Morton fans and have a lot of time for them despite every one of them being a fucking rasper