Stenhousemuir v Forfar

I'm really looking forward to Saturday's match. A game against Forfar Athletic - a side I expect to challenge for the title - is a terrific barometer for the season ahead and should tell us good we are and how we're placed. I like what I've seen from the Loons - I think Stuart Morrison and Matty Allen will strengthen their defence, while Mark Whatley is a good signing for the middle of the park. I've been very impressed by Josh Skelly in pre-season and believe he can go on to have a huge impact. Mr Raymond McKinnon is one of the best managers in the business and while you can never fully trust him and his whorish heart, he's put together a strong group of players.

There are some very good players in this Stenhousemuir team; there just aren't enough of them. I'm still in faint disbelief that we're on the eve of the league season with a squad of just 16. We're one injury or suspension away from having to completely rejig our team and I think it's tempered expectations amongst our support. I'm not sure if Matty Aitken or Kinlay Bilham will be available to play, so I think we might line up with:

- Matty Yates -

- Euan O'Reilly - Jordan Kirkpatrick - Ross Taylor -

- Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Edin Lynch - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

That leaves a bench of Curtis Lyle, James Berry and Adam Brown, as well as any other waifs and strays who fancy a shot. There's not a lot to work with here.

I've got a nagging feeling we're going to come a cropper. I hope to be proved wrong! See you on Saturday.

The squad depth is more than a little alarming. The one consolation of the league games is that we can play trialists.

It does look like we will be padding out the squad with loanees which as we all know can be hit or miss. I am not as optimistic as I was a month ago, and actually am a little fearful that come the end of August we might be in a difficult position. After Forfar, we play Peterhead and East Fife away from home. Three tough games.

We have a good enough starting 11 so hoping to be proved wrong, starting on Saturday

Can't remember the last time I was so optimistic for a league opener after having a mediocre season previously.

Only real concern we have is squad depth, we're just one skelly injury away from having no number 9.

Will be interesting to come up against former club captain Ross meechan again for the first time since he was last at stenny. He was always one of the east targets for supporters if we were having a bad spell but I personally really respected and appreciated how he went about things and was brilliant the season we finished 2nd in league one. 

That being said I hope he has a nightmare on Saturday when he likely comes up against Seb Ross on that wing. 

19 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Will be interesting to come up against former club captain Ross meechan again for the first time since he was last at stenny. He was always one of the east targets for supporters if we were having a bad spell

One of the worst captains I've ever seen. More interested in starting shit with pensioners on the terracing than he was at actually defending.

5 hours ago, TheClosingArguement said:

One of the worst captains I've ever seen. More interested in starting shit with pensioners on the terracing than he was at actually defending.

you are showing yer age

Going into this one very optimistic. 
absolutely hate when we play Stenny, it’s always a close game.

be interesting to see how we line up. I imagine it will be the same starting 11 that faced St Mirren, if Moore’s still sidelined.

would of liked to be going into tomorrow with another signing or two though.

12 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Going into this one very optimistic. 
absolutely hate when we play Stenny, it’s always a close game.

be interesting to see how we line up. I imagine it will be the same starting 11 that faced St Mirren, if Moore’s still sidelined.

would of liked to be going into tomorrow with another signing or two though.

Just remembered Nditi’s suspended, so be interesting to see who plays at RWB

2 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It costs more money for security to open it but I do wish it was open for away fans even if it was just 50 or so.

Think there’s a bus load heading down plus others in cars etc . 

Feels like a relatively big game for it being the season opener. Suspect both sides have promotion intentions and a real opportunity to lay down a marker. League cup has me high so I think we’ll win , and win fairly comfortably. 3-1 to the Loons

1 minute ago, lwh said:

Forgot Nditi is suspended after his “dive” against east Fife. No idea who’s going to play at right back now. Moore, Brindley, Thomson, Hutchinson and whateley all options

Great having options, though.