St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian

One of our better, not that it is saying much, performances away from home last season was in Perth between Christmas and New Year. If we play like we did that night we will win this comfortably but of course that is a huge IF, as we can rarely be relied upon on the road. With over 4200 tickets sold already there is going to be an expectation of 3pts and I think we will have enough as long as we start the game on the front foot. Scoring first in this will be all important. Saints could collapse if we get at them early. Hopefully we throw Tagawa straight in, unknown quantity but we desperately need his supposed pace. I'm hoping for something along the following lines:

Clark

Atkinson  Kent   Rowles  Kingsley

Haring Beningame Nieuwenhof

Oda   Shankland  Tagawa

Bench: 

McGovern, Sibbick, Neilson, Devlin, Smith, Halliday, Grant, Forrest, Boyce. 

Edited by Hendricks

1 hour ago, Radford said:

To achieve anything, you need to first and foremost be hard to beat. Would playing a back three help us in that regard?

We'd have had an extra man in the box for the Stirling opener and, surely, wouldn't have parted like the Red Sea for the second. So there is a case there, especially regards the first goal. The second was just so bad that it's hard to even analyse.

But we didn't give much away against Ayr or Stenhousemuir despite the defeats and it doesn't matter what system you play if you can't defend set pieces or do the basics like closing down and passing the ball. The Stenhousemuir goal and the first two on Saturday, despite what was said above, come from just giving the ball away in terrible areas.

Whatever shape we play, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference if we don't get the fundamentals right.

We know from Davidson's time in charge that having that extra defender blunts you going forward if none of the centre backs are prepared to step out but Hearts are a good team and we won't be expected to have a lot of possession anyway. Can we transition quickly when we do win the ball with the players we have? Possibly I guess.

So, despite being sick of the sight of a back three, I'd relent and accept it could be our best option for this weekend, although worry where Carey fits in. Because even if the prospect of a back three isn't terrifying, that fucking 5-2-3 abomination is.

Mitov

McClelland - Gordon - Considine 

Wright - McGowan - Phillips - Gallacher 

Carey

Jephcott - May

I’d put Max in for Carey,as he’s got more energy,but agree back 3 makes sense for this game,although whispers of other signing/s before it

17 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I’d put Max in for Carey,as he’s got more energy,but agree back 3 makes sense for this game,although whispers of other signing/s before it

If the clearance arrives and they are even half fit I'd have them in before any of the youngsters. They really haven't shown up well in the cup friendlies. Also, before anyone says it, 10 minute flashes of talent doesn't mean you should be playing against Hearts.

1-1. Saints take the lead after about 8 minutes after some comical Hearts defending, then Hearts spend the next 80 odd passing between the centre halves and full backs before Shankland equalises in the 93rd.

Is what I'd be saying if wee mumbles Neilson was still in charge. 9 nil Gorgie. 😎

44 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If the clearance arrives and they are even half fit I'd have them in before any of the youngsters. They really haven't shown up well in the cup friendlies. Also, before anyone says it, 10 minute flashes of talent doesn't mean you should be playing against Hearts.

I agree Tam,but Max has the energy and puts  in more defensive work than Carey imo 

6 hours ago, Center half said:

We are having a closed door game today on the Astro turf (9.30-10.30) to try and gain some confidence i believe. Gordon especially needs to feel he can dominate in a game and be a bit faster than the opposition.  

How many did Theo get...oh wait that was last season.

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Oda Haring Devlin Forrest

Shankland Boyce

No Cochrane and probably no McKay. Nieuwenhof and Tagawa (if available) likely short of match fitness.

I'd also be cautious and utilise Baningime from the bench if we can. Ideally we'd do the same with Boyce, but we aren't awash with other options and if St Johnstone are going to be defending deep it might be a good time to use him and Shankland together.

Hopefully Forrest is nowhere near these by the end of August.

34 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Clark

Shankland Boyce

No Cochrane and probably no McKay. Nieuwenhof and Tagawa (if available) likely short of match fitness.

I'd also be cautious and utilise Baningime from the bench if we can. Ideally we'd do the same with Boyce, but we aren't awash with other options and if St Johnstone are going to be defending deep it might be a good time to use him and Shankland together.

Given Nieuwenhof started on Sunday I think he'll be in the team. Get what you are saying about Tagawa, guess that depends on how he looks immediately in training. Be surprised if Forrest starts ahead of Grant but he did play well at Perth back in December. 

Not really sure what I think of Hearts just now. I'd fancy an away win for sure if Halkett and Baningime were back up to speed and in the side, but that's still a bit away. Hearts are flimsy without those two, as has shown for pretty much a year now.

I'd fancy maybe a narrow Hearts win. For all their struggles, St Johnstone are four games in and will surely see a reaction to the League Cup, so they should improve on last week. Hearts are away from home and still a bit weak down the spine, but you need to be aiming to beat a team just cuffed 4-0 by Stirling Albion. Won't be easy though.

Big game for Hearts. It's a favourable early run on paper, and three points here sets it up nicely. 2-1 Saints then.

2 hours ago, DC92 said:

Clark

Shankland Boyce

This feels most likely. That said you could easily switch any of Sibbick/Kent, Cochrane/Kingsley, Forrest/McKay 

26 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

This feels most likely. That said you could easily switch any of Sibbick/Kent, Cochrane/Kingsley, Forrest/McKay 

McKay and Cochrane are definitely better than Forrest and Kingsley imo, but one hasn't featured in pre-season due to injury and the other is suspended.

No idea about Kent, but hopefully he proves he and Sibbick are not interchangeable.

As long as we don’t field the three weakest midfielders in the league all at the same time like we did v Hearts at home last season.

Went 2 down, made a change, got back to 2-2 and lost 3-2.

Manager said he didn’t understand why we started so badly, despite it being his selection that handed the initiative to Hearts in the first half hour.

Still raging 😡 

5 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Cochrane is suspended so that ain't a possibility!  McKay is also not likely to be available until Dundee away.

Having watched Hearts in pre season at Dunfermline and v Leeds I'm still none the wiser how Naismith wants to play apart from the fb tucking into midfield in possession. 

We haven't looked like creating a great deal in those games either. I predict a sluggish start and a shite 1-1 draw.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Saints have half a team with a few youngsters(who are nowhere ready)thrown in. Hearts fans have no idea how bad it really is atm. You'll soon find out this weekend though and put every penny you have on a Hearts win.

We should win clearly, but we've lost to far worse in recent memory