St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian

48 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Hearts due their pen soon. 

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We are in the last 16 minutes, still a few mins to go before "Shanklandpen" gets his first of the season.

Lovely stuff.

A fair result, really. We're a work in progress, and it showed. Mitov looked fantastic so hopefully once the other signings are up to speed they match that.

Start of a long season.

Very uninspiring stuff for the first hour. Only one winner once we brought the subs on.

Lowry was excellent and Tagawa looked lively and dangerous. Shankland and Oda were much more involved after those two came on.

Kent had some dodgy passes, particularly early on, but it's a breath of fresh air to see a CB who can actually win a header.

Encouraging.

Dreadful first half though I would give St Johnstone a fair bit of credit for making us look lethargic and slow. Thought they competed really well and just made things ugly which was a sensible game plan. We started the 2nd half far better but still took a while to create clear cut chances. However once the subs started there was only going to be one winner. Lowry and Tagawa both added pace and dynamism and then the experience of Boyce and Beningame also helped us. When you consider we have those sort of attacking subs and that Gordon, Halkett, McKay, Cochrane and Vargas weren't even in the squad today I think it's far to say our strength, depth and quality are vastly improved on last season. 

Edited by Hendricks

Decent enough performance from us under the circumstances.

Organised and competitive, which is all I hoped for going into the match.  Fell away a bit in the end but no complaints.

Mitov was excellent. But Ryan McGowan in centre midfield is so important to us looking like a team right now.  He holds a great position, gets in the way of  a lot of opposition passes, and is constantly in the refs ear. His experience could be vital in these first few games.

I think Carey is looking decent as well, he’s working harder and looks to be our main threat on the ball.

The two new defenders had decent debuts. Signs McLelland and Gordon could form a partnership going by the first 65 minutes of the match.

We are going to struggle for goals though. If Clark is going to be out for any length of time this has to be our next signing. We  offer so little threat in attack we’re going to struggle to get victories.

Just now, Empty It said:

With the depth we appear to have can't imagine we'll be seeing much more of Forrest and Grant, that's not a particularly bad thing in Grants case.

I don't think it's a bad thing in Forrest's case either. He was lively and willing today, but he just doesn't have it.

Just now, DC92 said:

I don't think it's a bad thing in Forrest's case either. He was lively and willing today, but he just doesn't have it.

With his pace I think he still has something to give as a late sub, I just can't think of any redeeming qualities of Grant.

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:

And in Perth of all places.

I know! Our record there has a historically been appalling!! 

I have strong memories of a particularly grim 1-1 involving a Juanma red card....

Well, not memories of the match, just an emotional reflex memory of abject misery 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Decent enough performance from us under the circumstances.

Organised and competitive, which is all I hoped for going into the match.  Fell away a bit in the end but no complaints.

Mitov was excellent. But Ryan McGowan in centre midfield is so important to us looking like a team right now.  He holds a great position, gets in the way of  a lot of opposition passes, and is constantly in the refs ear. His experience could be vital in these first few games.

I think Carey is looking decent as well, he’s working harder and looks to be our main threat on the ball.

The two new defenders had decent debuts. Signs McLelland and Gordon could form a partnership going by the first 65 minutes of the match.

We are going to struggle for goals though. If Clark is going to be out for any length of time this has to be our next signing. We  offer so little threat in attack we’re going to struggle to get victories.

Chris Kane must feel pretty fucking stupid going to play 5’s now. 

21 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Dreadful first half though I would give St Johnstone a fair bit of credit for making us look lethargic and slow. Thought they competed really well and just made things ugly which was a sensible game plan. We started the 2nd half far better but still took a while to create clear cut chances. However once the subs started there was only going to be one winner. Lowry and Tagawa both added pace and dynamism and then the experience of Boyce and Beningame also helped us. When you consider we have those sort of attacking subs and that Gordon, Halkett, McKay, Cochrane and Vargas weren't even in the squad today I think it's far to say our strength, depth and quality are vastly improved on last season. 

I think dreadful is harsh.  Pedestrian but we had a few reasonable chances and didn't look psrticularly troubled.

As said, the subs transformed it.  Even with Mitov looking inspired you could tell the goal was coming and that strength off the bench, that we were nowhere near last season, is massive.  

With Gordon, Halkett, McKay, Cochrane and Vargas no even involved, the squad looks much stronger already