Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

Lot of bedwetters in here tonight

Not arsed at all about that result.

I think there was an air that we could match England and just play our own game.

Whilst we have a lot of tidy footballers we are some way off that level technically.

What was missing was a bit of grit and determination that we have always needed against the top sides. We need to impose ourselves physically as much as anything else and I don't think we came anywhere close to it.

As much as McTominay is on a good run of form, Christie for me needs to be in the side when we are playing a lot of the game without the ball. His energy was sorry lacking

England by far the better team tonight and had to be or Southgate would've probably been asked to leave 😂😂, unfortunately for us we didn't click tonight but pretty hard when Bellingham and Walker played the way they did absolute class the two of them, still hopefully a learning curve for Clarke and the team that if we want to dine at the big table we will have to be better 

Mon Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 ♥️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿♥️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On the positive side, easiest ever journey home from Hampden, 75 straight after the game then X85 from the city centre and home by eleven.

Negative - everything else. We're going to have to stop inviting England to our parties (others who remember the 1973 match will agree). We were on a high on Friday now we go into  the next qualifier on a bit of a down. I suspect this fixture, when it's a 'friendly', now matters more to them and their ghastly support (that cloud of aggression and menace drifting over from them with the Lynx Africa...) than to us. Our record in friendlies against them is pretty terrible, while we usually manage to be competitive when the tie is.

It was a miserable experience. I am a sufficiently old-school Scotsman to hate seeing them win against anyone, so watching them beat us is like Rob Roy losing to Kilsyth Rangers times a million.

Edited by KirkieRR

No really that fussed about the game, if you stand off and let better players play you'll get beat.  I'd like to think we'd have put a few tackles in if it were a competitive game. 

I was however annoyed by both sets of fans, England with their 1994 Vanarama Trophy/ Wigan away songbook and some awful stuff from ours.  I hate the monarchy as much as the next sane person, but Lizzie's in a box id pathetic stuff.  Not as bad as the Harry Kane stuff though

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As someone said earlier if you're doing the high press you can't half arse it or teams not even as good as England will pass through it and your midfield and be running at your defence. Tonight was like a carbon copy performance of the Czech Republic game at Euro 2020. 

High backline but it was more of a 'no press', allowing England centre backs all the time they desired on the ball while the players in front positioned themselves.  Either someone wasn't doing their job to start the press or we had some bad ideas tonight.  

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The complete lack of the SFA doing, well anything, pre match to celebrate their 150th anniversary match was pretty funny. I assumed there would at least be a big pipe band or something!

Was the 90 quid shirts and cricket ground photo op not enough like?

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the fact of who the opposition was tonight.

If that was Brazil, Argentina or France there wouldn't be as much hand wringing.

I'd say it's more to do with the fact we played shite and nowhere near as well as we have been doing. But I would agree the opposition does add an additional factor.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I'd say it's more to do with the fact we played shite and nowhere near as well as we have been doing. But I would agree the opposition does add an additional factor.

And the big huge tifo with flame display.

55 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He was awful but wasn’t the only one. When he received the ball tonight his first thought was to go backwards. He was very poor but McGinn, Tierney and others were too.

Many others were poor too I agree, the post I was replying to was someone replying to a post claiming Mcgregor was one of the best tbf

56 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I thought I was clearly mishearing it. Surely they weren't just chanting about Harry Kane being a 'mongol?'

Fucking horrific to the point I didn't believe it until these few posts above.

Not only is it just downright offensive, it's a slur that's been fucking dated since about the 80s.

ETA: Went to too far a length to refrain from saying it.

28 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Aye, it was, not just the odd idiot  who could be told to shut up either, fair old swathe of the crowd. 

Plenty to abuse them for without resorting to that. Had forgotten how grim the sober Hampden experience was when half the folk around you are wrecked, but also thinking even with a few lagers in me I'm not shouting shit like that. 

It's been very prominent since the Euros. At first I thought it was mostly just the hangers-on that were kicking about then, but it's sung on almost every trip and outside most home games (although that was the first time I've heard it at a game). 

14 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Lot of bedwetters in here tonight

Not arsed at all about that result.

I think there was an air that we could match England and just play our own game.

Whilst we have a lot of tidy footballers we are some way off that level technically.

What was missing was a bit of grit and determination that we have always needed against the top sides. We need to impose ourselves physically as much as anything else and I don't think we came anywhere close to it.

As much as McTominay is on a good run of form, Christie for me needs to be in the side when we are playing a lot of the game without the ball. His energy was sorry lacking

I'm not gonna say that I was raging about the team prior to kick-off because I wasn't, but I do think Christie should be playing pretty much whenever we play a front three, especially against better teams. It might not have made much of a difference - it didn't against Norway - but I think he gives us a better chance in these games. 

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

High backline but it was more of a 'no press', allowing England centre backs all the time they desired on the ball while the players in front positioned themselves.  Either someone wasn't doing their job to start the press or we had some bad ideas tonight.  

@2426255 mentioned previously that when we played Ukraine away (a game I think we all agree we played well in), the defensive line was high but there wasn't any pressure on the ball - something that Clarke would've been criticised for had the result not gone our way. I think it's far too risky to do with a back five and we've seen a few teams try to exploit this with diagonal runs across the backline (England twice, Ukraine twice, Denmark, Austria and Ireland). I'm not sure if it's actually a pattern, but it could be a weakness teams have identified. 

10 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

The minute's silence for Broon was a mistake which the thuggier England fans were bound to disrespect. Either make it a minute's applause or leave it till the next game.

I think it would've been an applause if it wasn't paired with the disasters in Libya and Morocco. 

11 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

The minute's silence for Broon was a mistake which the thuggier England fans were bound to disrespect. Either make it a minute's applause or leave it till the next game.

Fair. A couple of Scottish idiots shouted stuff about “Lizzie” during it as well. Rightly received a barrage of abuse from those around.  

Tbf to the English c***s, their songbook is better at getting it up us than ours is at them. Probably why some goons turned to the tragic song about Kane.